JH Audio Layla Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #526 of 2,420
  Mmm......has anyone experimented with 3rd party cable for the Layla? How was it?

I ordered the Cronus from Beat Audio; it was the only black cable I could find. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone selling the original Layla black balanced cable, not even Astell & Kern. (A&K told me they were out of stock and didn't know when they'd have them again.) I wanted a custom length anyway.

I won't have the cable for another couple of weeks though, I'd be interested to hear others who found a custom balanced cable.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #529 of 2,420

I asked Moon Audio a month ago and they said, "end of Summer".  

I'd still like to find something NOW.  I even tried getting cable end connectors from JHA so I could make up my own.  To no avail . . .

Yep... and I think a few months ago in another thread someone was told "in 30-60 days". For black dragon, he said last week 30-60 days, and end of summer for the silver dragon cable. So pretty much the same, so who knows when it'll actually ship.

Check out http://www.beataudiocables.com. They've been reviewed very highly everywhere I've seen, from customer service to audio and build quality. He's got a very nice selection of beautiful cables and he can do pretty much any connector you throw at it.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #530 of 2,420
I ordered the Cronus from Beat Audio; it was the only black cable I could find. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone selling the original Layla black balanced cable, not even Astell & Kern. (A&K told me they were out of stock and didn't know when they'd have them again.) I wanted a custom length anyway.

I won't have the cable for another couple of weeks though, I'd be interested to hear others who found a custom balanced cable.
Any beat audio cable can be sheathed in black.

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #531 of 2,420
Anyone know how well the Layla and Intruder pair?

I've been thinking of getting a spare stock single ended cable and reterminate to RSA. I'm weird in that I don't like messing with the shipping stock cables. If I can get it to work I'd be willing to make ya some by reterminating.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #532 of 2,420
  Yep... and I think a few months ago in another thread someone was told "in 30-60 days". For black dragon, he said last week 30-60 days, and end of summer for the silver dragon cable. So pretty much the same, so who knows when it'll actually ship.

Check out http://www.beataudiocables.com. They've been reviewed very highly everywhere I've seen, from customer service to audio and build quality. He's got a very nice selection of beautiful cables and he can do pretty much any connector you throw at it.

Thanks,  Beat has a good selection of connectors and a nice presentation on their web-site.  Probably sound great.  It really is too bad they don't disclose ANY details about the materials used.  I'm not impressed with a cable that has a, "stunning silver appearance", and, "silver sound", without knowing what it's made from.  No returns?  

Well, still hoping to find some Layla connectors . . .

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #533 of 2,420
I'm suer many already know this but for those who have trouble with the fitting of the silicone tips but find the comply tips sound dark and muffled, reverse comply is a good solution. (TBH I get a bit of sibilance along with the muffling with the complys in normal position, so not good at all)

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #534 of 2,420
Mmm......I'm considering either the Norne Draug v.2 for my Layla or Effect Audio Thor Silver (4 or 8 wire). I am about to receive the Norne Draug v.2 for my Audeze EL8 (open back). I just hate the weight and stiffness of the stock cable. Without a shirt clip, the stock Layla cable is not helping in "stabilizing" the Layla as it sits on my ears.

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #535 of 2,420
I'm suer many already know this but for those who have trouble with the fitting of the silicone tips but find the comply tips sound dark and muffled, reverse comply is a good solution. (TBH I get a bit of sibilance along with the muffling with the complys in normal position, so not good at all)
interesting, I have dropped the bass a little, and flipped the complys, and a completely different sound...

Not sure that I'm happy that the nozzle is now so exposed, but something I can live with I'm sure...

So, no, not everyone thought of or knew this :)

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #536 of 2,420
Any beat audio cable can be sheathed in black.

Crap NOW you tell me ;-P

Sigh. I kinda knew that and was torn between the Supernova and Cronus. I thought it was pretty suspicious that Stephen from Beat Audio only said "Cronus is the better cable" when I asked him for differences between the two. Oh well. I was impatient to just get the order going, and after all the money spent on custom Layla + AK120ii + 128GB microSDXC card... ay...

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #537 of 2,420
  Crap NOW you tell me ;-P

Sigh. I kinda knew that and was torn between the Supernova and Cronus. I thought it was pretty suspicious that Stephen from Beat Audio only said "Cronus is the better cable" when I asked him for differences between the two. Oh well. I was impatient to just get the order going, and after all the money spent on custom Layla + AK120ii + 128GB microSDXC card... ay...

mmm.....well, just consider the purchases as your birthday/christmas/(insert your favorite holiday) gift to yourself. Let us know how the Cronus complement your custom Layla.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #538 of 2,420
Just got my Layla's. Not sure what to think of them so far. 

Bass is amazing. Very detailed and quick. Thumps like it's supposed to and gets on with it's job of making music without hanging around to say goodbye.

Mids are... off? I think I'm just needing to adjust to them some more but I'm really noticing the veil that I've heard mentioned here a bit. 

Highs are well extended but feel too laid back for my tastes. 

I've tried the stock tips, comply tips, Spinfit (got medium but probably need large, can't get a good seal), and some old wide mouthed silicone (shure or monster) that seem to fit best. 

Fit is amazing. I heard lots of complaints about getting a comfortable seat in the ear but mine fit like a glove and seal really well with the correct tip. 

I think I'm going to give it some more time for ear burn-in and give my head some time to adjust to the sound sig. So far compared to the X, I find these laid back in all the wrong places. Soundstage is very nice.

Those who have compared the Layla to the Angie, aren't they said to be alittle brighter while being less mid veiled? I think Jude mentioned in the youtube video that they were a bit more focused on vocals when it comes to mids.

If the LCD-X is a reference headphone, then I can agree that these are not reference by any means. 

Gear used: USB PC Tidal (flac 16bit 44.1Khz) > RSA Intruder > 3.5mm SE. Getting materials to make a balanced adapter tomorrow for the RSA. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #539 of 2,420
I think I'm going to give it some more time for ear burn-in and give my head some time to adjust to the sound sig. 

Good idea.  Mine improved considerably after some burn-in.  Can't give you a number of hours since I didn't clock it, but there was a big improvement.  Probably 20 - 40 hrs. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #540 of 2,420
  Good idea.  Mine improved considerably after some burn-in.  Can't give you a number of hours since I didn't clock it, but there was a big improvement.  Probably 20 - 40 hrs. 

Active burn-in or passive burn-in?

EDIT: to clarify, burning in on in your ears or burning in in a drawer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back