JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Dec 30, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #1,876 of 1,931
But that's due to exotic materials. 2.5k for an IEM is nonsensical to me. And as other people stated, why the huge jump from the Roxanne's which WAS SUPPOSE to be the flagship?

EDIT: As acain says below, the Layla is targeted at sound engineers but I can tell you that MOST sound engineers don't spend 2.5k on headphones. In fact, they do just the opposite in order to understand what the source material will sound like on low-to-mid tier sound systems. Sure, their reference monitors may be 10k or more, but when it comes to headphones, they aren't targeting folks who walk around with 2.5k universals. Moreover, what engineers wants universal buds for that matter? Most of them want full size cans anyway.

Since I really hate folks who just complain, let me offer up what I would have done:

The Layla should have been priced within a $100 of the Roxanne's with the caveat that it offers a different, flatter sound signature. In other words, it is a flagship alternative. That way he doesn't piss off all the Roxanne customers who waited months before taking delivery as well as keep the price competitive for those looking tor another set of high-end buds.

I guess I randomly feel like replying to this, in part because I am interested in getting the layla's, and in part because I am a sound engineer.  

Sound engineers would certainly LIKE to spend 2.5k on headphones :wink:  But we are by and large, fairly poor.  hahaha, well, as you said, we'd rather spend money on high end speaker monitors, and also on room correction / treatment, preamps, compressors, software plugins, our loved ones... it goes on :)  Or of course not to spend money at all and possibly stand a chance at breaking even in our business (this doesn't happen too often anymore -- so hey, maybe it is an independently wealthy sound engineer's world... or not).  

Anyway, what I wanted to say was, having a good set of custom in-ears, which these now can be (I think when you posted this there were only universals), is very valuable.  It can allow me to do a tracking session without an assistant (heaven forbid!), because I can go into the live room, move mics around, and hear the 'air' I'm placing those mics or instruments in with some accuracy.  Previously, most high-end in-ears were too bloated to me - with a tuning that was made for consumers - even so called reference IEMS were laughable in terms of monitoring accuracy.  A good starting point is a well driven ER-4S by etymotic.  1 driver, cheap, works very well.  I have been using those for years, and finally decided, there must be a jump in this technology 20 years later.  

What I'd like to see in an IEM that betters the etymotics is a better head stage, instrument separation and deeper but not necessarily more powerful bass.  Also a more natural yet unforgiving presentation. This would better my Etys, and also going custom helps as well.  

I can't emphasize the help with tracking that a good IEM provides.  Better than most closed cans.  The highly isolating closed cans don't sound great for monitoring - perhaps something super expensive... but now we're talking about the same price point again.  

Also, regarding mixing - in the end, I've seen great mixing engineers use all sorts of speakers - home audio speakers, old beat up stuff, whatever.  Sure, we may have some nifty barefoots or adams as well, but learning the sound signature of a speaker, and how it translates is key.  Also, learning how to setup speakers properly is key.  With headphones, you don't need to do this - so the idea/hope is, if we can find a good set that allows me to reference anywhere I go, and that I can add seamlessly to a stable of already well used monitor speakers, this would definitely add something.  Sure if it could be done more cheaply, that'd be best -- (read etymotic).  

Anyway, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Layla's, but only because I'd be doing it by selling/trading an amp.  

Lastly, I do agree, the business practice of JH and many companies in general regarding their product line and scaling is highly questionable.  They are clearly targeting a market interested in something that seems to be better because it costs more and has the appropriate marketing to boot.  That being said, it doesn't necessarily mean these won't sound amazing.. which sucks for our wallets.. unless we just don't get them - in which case we're like anybody else who finds something unaffordable... thats common and happens in most consumer oriented industries I know.

Neil

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,877 of 1,931
A friendly advice from a fellow engineer: don't blindly buy them like I did.

They are certainly not reference as in flat, as in how monitoring speakers are. Listen to them and only then decide if they are what you need. I only use them equalized, and they can truly shine if you take your time to do that. But for 2.5 grand... I don't know, I would expect more.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,878 of 1,931
A friendly advice from a fellow engineer: don't blindly buy them like I did.

They are certainly not reference as in flat, as in how monitoring speakers are. Listen to them and only then decide if they are what you need. I only use them equalized, and they can truly shine if you take your time to do that. But for 2.5 grand... I don't know, I would expect more.

Thanks, I was looking for this info.  A few questions:  do you know any other in-ears that are good for this?  How did you determine your EQ curve?  And what are you using to equalize them? 

That's a shame since with EQ things can end up sounding less natural.  What did you find unbalanced/not flat?

thanks!
Neil

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,880 of 1,931
I detailed throughout this thread and the other Layla thread the whole process, I think I'll bore everyone to death with my observations if I write them again. Please take a bit of time and read the thread. Others noticed roughly the same problems (mainly some major dips in the high mids and a spike in the treble). Others, who use them mainly for simply enjoying music find the whole discussion irrelevant.

From other users' reports, it seems that Angie and probably (if it is indeed the universal version of JH13) Rosie, could have a bit of a better fr curve in terms of getting somehow closer to reference. Unfortunately the only IEM that could give us what we are looking for, is only available in custom form, that is the new Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered.

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,881 of 1,931
Whoa, remastered? I'll have to check those out. Was not aware of a new version.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,883 of 1,931
Lucky you!

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #1,885 of 1,931

Hi guys! I joined the Angie club a few minutes ago. I bought these IEMs brand new. Sure they sound amazing but  I realized minor imperfections on the IEMs as if the plastic cover is peeling. Does anyone else have these? If not, I'll proceed to order a replacement.
redface.gif
  Please let me know!

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,886 of 1,931
The gloss finish isn't pealing, right? If not, they probably won't get any worse.

Still, that does not look correct to me. I wouldn't advocate sending for a replacement if it were just a sloppy pattern, but that is pretty bad.

Do what you think is best. Mine don't have any places were the Kevlar breaks like that.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #1,887 of 1,931
The gloss finish isn't pealing, right? If not, they probably won't get any worse.

Still, that does not look correct to me. I wouldn't advocate sending for a replacement if it were just a sloppy pattern, but that is pretty bad.

Do what you think is best. Mine don't have any places were the Kevlar breaks like that.

Thank you for your feedback. The gloss is not peeling right now since I got them :D but I don't know if they'll stay there over time. 

I think my Angies have channel imbalance too- few decibels louder on the right channel 
frown.gif
 I saw that another member of the forum had the same problem and he had it replaced a few times before he got a good one. I hope it won't be the case for me. I'm very disappointed considering how much these cost but what can I do. I'll just hope for a good copy.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,888 of 1,931
Yes, channel imbalance is a serious problem. Don't stand for that sh*1.

Of course, make sure it's not just clogged with earwax. :wink:

If there is no break in the gloss finish, Angie will remain in the state she is for the rest of eternity. The finish on these things is excellent.

But yeah, it sounds like you should send for a new one all the same.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #1,889 of 1,931
Yes, channel imbalance is a serious problem. Don't stand for that sh*1.

Of course, make sure it's not just clogged with earwax.
wink.gif

If there is no break in the gloss finish, Angie will remain in the state she is for the rest of eternity. The finish on these things is excellent.

But yeah, it sounds like you should send for a new one all the same.

I opened them few hours ago so earwax cannot be a problem 
smily_headphones1.gif
 It seems like iRiver is going to send me a fresh pair. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,890 of 1,931

Hi guys! I joined the Angie club a few minutes ago. I bought these IEMs brand new. Sure they sound amazing but  I realized minor imperfections on the IEMs as if the plastic cover is peeling. Does anyone else have these? If not, I'll proceed to order a replacement.
redface.gif
  Please let me know!

So, sent the previous pair back with imbalance and cosmetic issues and got the one below as a replacement. Seriously JH Audio? Do you call that quality control? 
eek.gif

I'm gonna send these back and ask for a refund. Hopefully they'll accept and I won't have to deal with them EVER AGAIN! NEVER EVER 
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back