JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Dec 20, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #167 of 1,931
I seriously cannot imagine any iem at this level being anything *10. Sure, diminishing margins and all, but wow, *10... Im not even sure comparing my home rig, hifiman he6 run from speaker taps, is 10x better than say a $79 hifiman re400 run from the iPhone. Price 10x higher, sure
smily_headphones1.gif
but sound 10x better? No way.

For a new iem from a respected bidi company to be 10x better than that company's previous flagship is simply unfathomable to me... Ymmv, of course.

Chalk it up to Mike Mercer's writing style.
He uses hyperbole to convey enthusiasm.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #168 of 1,931
Not necessarily but thats a lot of engineering and packaging hassle. JA has a good sonic track record so it's likely there for a reason and probably a win. It's a CIEM, many will adore it and some won't. The price alone will garner ridicule from those that would never consider it. That last one always seems a bit petty to me.
confused.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #169 of 1,931

Ouch!  Are you happy with them though?  

Thankfully, I am enjoying them. Sound, fit and looks are great. 
smile.gif

Anyway, at the very least, I can draw comfort in the fact that the Layla was tuned differently, so I won't be finding an improved Roxanne, but something that challenges IEMs like the K10 in overall technical brilliance.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #170 of 1,931
It is what it is. It's the coming of a new year, and new products. 
It doesn't get any easier (or cheaper) chasing after every new flavor of the month or upgrading our current gears.

What i do know is there is more choices and options out there for consumers today than ever before.
Sometimes it's a good thing to explore new brands such as Earwerkz and CustomArt. They are getting quite a fair bit of attention and rightfully so. A friend of mine opted for the CustomArt Harmony 8 pro, while myself the Legend R, and we both agreed these two are incredible flagship customs (even superior to older flagships from well established ones), and they are priced well enough for any new and even seasoned audiophiles to get jump on board.

As for Layla and Angie, unless we're rushing out for the A&K Universals (which look mighty pretty i have to say), the rest would have to wait a good 3 months or more before the customs are available for ordering? That gives Roxanne users such as myself a good 9 months or more to enjoy she-who-was-once-my-queen, a little longer. 

And when the custom Layla and Angie arrive, we'll experience first hand for ourselves if they're worth the extra entrance fee.

Well, that's my 2 cents. 

It's back to burning in my Legend R now. It's been taking up most of my listening hours since i got them. 
L3000.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #171 of 1,931
I had a chance to try out the Layla & Angie today at the E-earphone festival in Tokyo. I'm sure everyone is dying to know how they sound. My brief notes/impressions from the Layla are:
Balanced from top to bottom, no holes/glaring weaknesses
Great extension on the highs
Controlled solid bass
Transparent,very clean sounding
Nice separation of instruments/vocals (using 240 balanced will possibly yield more detailing than Tera)
Soundstage is big/wide enough will scale up with better cabling
Versatile with all genres/all rounder

I'm sure all of you are familiar with the Jacksons, so I'll say Layla's transparent, balanced sound is Michael, but the pricing is Tito :p.

Wagnus Diamond Dust Balanced Cable for JH Audio(Debuted today)

How much Jerry?

$2495

$2495 for real??

That's right,$2495 fo reeeaaaalllll.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #172 of 1,931
Sorry, but the Layla is freakishly huge.  
eek.gif
   Don't think I could ever consider it based on how large it looks there.... And the price... nope.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #173 of 1,931
I had a chance to try out the Layla & Angie today at the E-earphone festival in Tokyo. I'm sure everyone is dying to know how they sound. My brief notes/impressions from the Layla are:
Balanced from top to bottom, no holes/glaring weaknesses
Great extension on the highs
Controlled solid bass
Transparent,very clean sounding
Nice separation of instruments/vocals (using 240 balanced will possibly yield more detailing than Tera)
Soundstage is big/wide enough will scale up with better cabling
Versatile with all genres/all rounder

I'm sure all of you are familiar with the Jacksons, so I'll say Layla's transparent, balanced sound is Michael, but the pricing is Tito
tongue.gif

Wagnus Diamond Dust Balanced Cable for JH Audio(Debuted today)

How much Jerry?

$2495

$2495 for real??

That's right,$2495 fo reeeaaaalllll.

Do you think they will stay in your ears for any length of time?  They stick out farther than any iem I've seen.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #176 of 1,931
That thing looks super ugly sticking out of the ear. I'd be embarrassed to walk around with them.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #177 of 1,931
Yes they are getting big. I would guess though, if you are enjoying the sound, you may not care how they look to others. And who is looking at you anyway? :^)

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #179 of 1,931
Great stuff Bootsy. I won't be buying either, but what did you think of the Angie's?

Thanks Jajo. I listened to the Laylas first,(big mistake I know, but other people were listening to the Angies, so I had to get what I could get) which basically doomed the Angies. Paraphrasing Jerry, he said he wanted to maintain the same signature as the Laylas with just less drivers. I thought the soundstage was smaller, mids sounded recessed, but they sounded cleaner than the Roxannes. Sound wise, the Layla is in a league of its own compared to the other sirens IMO.
Concerning the fit, I didn't feel like they(Layla/Angie) were going to fall out of my ears or anything, they felt ok. Fit is relative and my cap size is a 7 or 55.8cm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back