JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #123 of 1,931

first of all , i appreciate your civilized answer - i also dig canadians people , i think you are a cool nationality.

second , just sell the damned roxannes , be happy you can have such a nice iem/phones arsenal and buy a new iem that suits your music needs best.

i find for instance than noble is selling thin air to the prestige customers and i see so many people there kissing noble's ass , it's also hilarious.

it all comes down to 3 things - what sound you are after , how much money you have to spend and how stupid/smart consumer you are
wink.gif

cheers
beerchug.gif

You should take a page out of his playbook and start posting some dignified replies yourself instead of being overly judgmental of Roxanne owners and labeling them as princesses. Food for thought. I've seen some of your prior posts and you often say similar things about people who spend more than you on audio products. I kindly ask you to stop. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #124 of 1,931
And just as I though there was a welcome trend of excitement for lower priced IEMs like the Earwerkz Supra, and Aurisonics models, this thread pops up. Geez. 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #126 of 1,931

The earbuds in question, the 1601SC and 1602SC (aka Piano Forte X), were never designed to compete with other TOTL models. Final Audio created them to sound like vintage horn speakers, so they're extremely mid centric and sound quite unlike anything else out there. The Cardas earphones are perhaps the closest in terms of their sonic signature, but lack the concert hall presentation. The FADs are also constructed with metal housings that took a lot of work to engineer and are coated in gold. Basically they're meant to appeal to the Japanese collector market both sonically and in construction and are priced accordingly. However some head-fiers find them very seductive.

Final Audio Design's balanced armatures however are another story entirely. They are meant to appeal to more fidelity focused audiophiles. The Heaven models, FI-BA-SS, and LAB1 can rival any earphone out their at their respective price points (from $150 USD to $1300 USD) in my opinion.

The FI-BA-SS and LAB1 in particular are two of my favorite universal earphones.

As for the universal Roxannes, I personally think they're kind of hit or miss. What they do well, they do exceedingly well. Spooky well. This includes the presentation of space, sense of air, detail extraction. I'm far less pleased with turning up the bass and finding it sounds one-note and plastered on to the rest of the frequency response, however. The top end of the Roxanne has some peakiness I don't like as well. IMHO, of course.

Then I'll be waiting for the Angie Universal before I buy the AK240 with the FI-BA-SS which I planned to do. Price for Angie doesn't seem too crazy to me.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #127 of 1,931
i hope the angie custom is in the 1200 range and is at the, or better than the NT6.  That'd get me to jump when I have the chance.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #128 of 1,931
  I'm far less pleased with turning up the bass and finding it sounds one-note and plastered on to the rest of the frequency response, however. 

The Roxanne's non-trivial bass response was the main reason I could not get into it, which is why I didn't.  
redface.gif

I'd like to inject a bit of logic into the trending discussion if I may?

If you like and enjoy the Roxanne - that is, if you have a leaning or preference for its signature - then I don't think you'll like the Layla very much.  Their two signatures are considerably different.  And if that's the case, then what does it matter how much it costs, or what it might be a flagship of?  You wouldn't buy it anyway, right?  
smile.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #129 of 1,931
Not really into these song names from the 14th century. Name one after a Villalobos track and they might get my attention. Until then, at $2.5K a pop, I'd rather save for another FitEar, tyvm.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #130 of 1,931

The Roxanne's non-trivial bass response was the main reason I could not get into it, which is why I didn't.  
redface.gif

I'd like to inject a bit of logic into the trending discussion if I may?

If you like and enjoy the Roxanne - that is, if you have a leaning or preference for its signature - then I don't think you'll like the Layla very much.  Their two signatures are considerably different.  And if that's the case, then what does it matter how much it costs, or what it might be a flagship of?  You wouldn't buy it anyway, right?  
smile.gif

When I watched Jude's preview, it seemed the same- he thought the Roxanne had too much bass.

But was there really a need to label the Layla as the 'new Flagship'? Not sure who's idea that was, JH's or otherwise, but as you point out that completely sends the wrong signal that Layla is going to be unequivocally better.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #131 of 1,931
Not really into these song names from the 14th century. Name one after a Villalobos track and they might get my attention. Until then, at $2.5K a pop, I'd rather save for another FitEar, tyvm.

I dearly hope you are kidding. Layla has on the track two of the greatest guitarist ever to play. Eric Clapton was the backup guitarist to the man he considered even better than himself and his musical soulmate, Duane Allman who played the electric slide guitar.

"Layla and Other Love Songs" was a magical moment in music pairing the two legends together for one album.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #133 of 1,931
  Listen, I work in the business of hi-fi, helped HiFiMAN make it to Canada and have worked at audio shows for Sennheiser Canada. Those are some of the reasons I have such an inventory, and yes, I did save quite a bit on everything I purchased!

As for the Roxanne, I have no ties with the company, and decided to save up and purchase them as I am a music lover and can justify spending a one time sum to have the greatest. Had the Layla been proposed last year, I'd of just opted for those. The reason I am upset it because I've had the Roxanne for about 6 months now, and waited about 7 before getting them. Had I known in the first place, I'd of just waited it out and avoid the hassle of the lingering wait time, sending in for refits, making a warranty claim on defective parts, etc.

In the end, I just feel that the Roxanne was a poorly carried out market experiment and I happened to be a guinea pig among many others. JHA is a capital-driven company to my eyes

You mean your prior post about wanting an accommodation wasn't a joke?

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #134 of 1,931
So, if Layla was not designated as flagship but still $2500 would everyone be ok with it? Just curious.

Jim

I'm one of those who still consider the JH13 to be the true flagship of JHA- regardless of what the marketing folks say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back