JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Jan 22, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #541 of 1,931
  the whole point im trying to make is that it should be feasable to make IEM in the 2,000$ rough range that gives you the sound of a $300,000 mastering system, why would you make you goal to replicate a cheaper ,less accurate ,mastering system if you could aim higher and hit the mark of the high end systems that the best mastering engineers use?

i think JH audio can very well do it.

About this. It's not as simple as that. Actually it's pretty impossible. IEMs are not emulations of real speakers, nor they could ever be.

Actually ALL speaker manufacturers have the same goal. Though, results are so different.

IEM and generally headphone technology is so different, that talking in these terms is a bit naive, really. JH used a specific word: mastering 'grade', meaning accurate representation, within the inherent limitations of IEM/BA technology, which imply all his discoveries: multi drivers, phase aligned, steep crossovers etc. 

In the end, as goodvibes said, there's no headphone that you could instantly master on. It's not like, from a certain level above, in the case of speakers. You'll still have to learn them, meaning how the master will translate also on speakers. For me it's simple: I want high end headphones that don't need eq. Hopefully JH will deliver. If not, someday somebody certainly will.

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #542 of 1,931
I cant wait until someone puts 16 drivers per side the can call it the "Sweet 16" . The question is who will be the first company to do it. Its only a matter of time thats the trend right now more drivers. Maybe i will design one first I really only like the name Sweet 16 its catchy.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #543 of 1,931
I cant wait until someone puts 16 drivers per side the can call it the "Sweet 16" . The question is who will be the first company to do it. Its only a matter of time thats the trend right now more drivers. Maybe i will design one first I really only like the name Sweet 16 its catchy.

Haha. I'll get one that is called Sixteen Candles. Will be a blast, I'm sure.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #545 of 1,931

About this. It's not as simple as that. Actually it's pretty impossible. IEMs are not emulations of real speakers, nor they could ever be.

Actually ALL speaker manufacturers have the same goal. Though, results are so different.

IEM and generally headphone technology is so different, that talking in these terms is a bit naive, really. JH used a specific word: mastering 'grade', meaning accurate representation, within the inherent limitations of IEM/BA technology, which imply all his discoveries: multi drivers, phase aligned, steep crossovers etc. 

In the end, as goodvibes said, there's no headphone that you could instantly master on. It's not like, from a certain level above, in the case of speakers. You'll still have to learn them, meaning how the master will translate also on speakers. For me it's simple: I want high end headphones that don't need eq. Hopefully JH will deliver. If not, someday somebody certainly will.

I think you may like the new ones. Headphones also have some sonic advantages to speakers but the experience is never as natural as free space. For an isolating type in ear, I think these get closer to that experience than others. Very informative without being mechanical and a nice transition from octave to octave.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #546 of 1,931
I hope so.

Indeed, headphones do have the advantage of providing a more 'direct' perception of details, while speakers have a more natural way of presenting them.

I see custom-cable lists these, but the price in british pounds is a bit high. Maybe other european dealers will have closer prices to the MSRP.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #547 of 1,931

I agree with you mostly.
whether its speakers or iem's in the end its sound hitting your ear drum, there may be different ways of mapping out the important aspects of mastering grade speakers and re-create the level of detail and accuracy at the ear drum with an IEM.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #549 of 1,931
i think everyone can agree to have a IEM that you could use for mastering does not need to perfectly re-create speakers in the sense of head-related transfer function.
it needs to have clarity to the point of hearing every little mistake in sound recording, while having an equal perception of loudness throughout the entire range of human hearing.

some of the aspects of mastering speakers in a room that should be easy to imprint on an iem are
the slope of the frequency response and the shape of the frequency response that arrives at the ear drum from the mastering setup.
and the fine detail that mastering speakers give
using the tech and description jh audio has at their disposal makes this an achievable goal.

if the IEM did these things all you would have to do is "memorize" what your reference tracks sound like on them in order to use the IEM setup in the same way you would a real mastering setup.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #550 of 1,931
Does the Layla use the same cable and variable resistors as the Roxanne?

I have read that the variable resistors in the Roxanne go from 0 to 100ohms where the higher the resistance the greater reduction in bass.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #551 of 1,931
Earphone solution advert now. Angie will be regularly priced at $1500? Pre order price at $1099 though.

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #552 of 1,931
Earphone solution advert now. Angie will be regularly priced at $1500? Pre order price at $1099 though.

No, it's just trick that Earphone solution sometimes uses. They list regular price that never really existed and claims they give you 20-27% discount. Same is with Shure Se846, listed regular price is 1250$ but you never saw them being sold for thath much anywhere.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 27, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #553 of 1,931
For a place with "Solutions" in their name, I don't like their math :)

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #554 of 1,931
  No, it's just trick that Earphone solution sometimes uses. They list regular price that never really existed and claims they give you 20-27% discount. Same is with Shure Se846, listed regular price is 1250$ but you never saw them being sold for thath much anywhere.

For a place with "Solutions" in their name, I don't like their math :)

Well retailers has been doing it for years, and I don't think most of us here mind it so much, as we know what we are getting into.  Also if the manufacturer won't allow such discount, then ES can't do it.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #555 of 1,931
Um, it was just a play on words
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back