JH Audio JH5pro thread
Nov 4, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #211 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read a few 'I'll comment on the sound later" remarks though!

So whats the sound signature, impressions, strengths, weaknesses?

I'm probably one of those that state "I'll comment later."
It's still later cos I sent in back for re-fitting.

Jaime finally answered, and he said it will take 1-2 days only. My estimation is that I will get them end of next week due to international shipment ~4 days, plus custom clearance ~1 day.

However, I'm not good with comparisons, since I don't own many ear/headphones. But I tend to agree with BBY03evo, considering the IEM price range.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #212 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by salient2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jaime finally answered, and he said

Gender Fail
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #214 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gender Fail
beerchug.gif

Sorry... I know Jamie is "unisex" name but tendency is on the masculine side.
As for Jaime, I don't really know. I suppose it's female name.
atsmile.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #215 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this rating based on it's price? Because if it isn't then that's rather funny. That is the around the score i would give the JH10X3

I also wanted to say if I compare The JH5's directly to my Grado SR225's, as my reference. A few people are asking about this.
With no price factor for a cool custom IEM on JH's side. I would rate them like this.

Highs: 4.5
Mids: 4
Lows: 3
Imaging: 3.5
Soundstage: 4

So, if anyone is interested the JH5 is not even close enough to be comparable, sadly...

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #216 of 1,217
A 5 would typically be average, wouldn't it? You're saying that the JH5 is below average in every category?

Seeing as how Grado isn't known for neutrality, I'm finding that a bit confusing.

Thanks for your opinion though.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #217 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by cujobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 5 would typically be average, wouldn't it? You're saying that the JH5 is below average in every category?

Seeing as how Grado isn't known for neutrality, I'm finding that a bit confusing.

Thanks for your opinion though.

Yes, if directly compared to the grado's they are well below them in everything.

I also find the JH5's not neutral but warm, with bumped up mids and an increased top end.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #218 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also wanted to say if I compare The JH5's directly to my Grado SR225's, as my reference. A few people are asking about this.
With no price factor for a cool custom IEM on JH's side. I would rate them like this.

Highs: 4.5
Mids: 4
Lows: 3
Imaging: 3.5
Soundstage: 4

So, if anyone is interested the JH5 is not even close enough to be comparable, sadly...

Based on those scores this would mean you are VERY disappointed with the JH5's right?

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #220 of 1,217
You know, just because a frequency is bumped, or the overall frequency response isn't neutral doesn't mean that it's inferior or worse. It's just a different way of presentation and shouldn't be noted as a inferior characteristic. I've heard the 225, i do not hear or see in anyways how the 225 could be 6-7 points higher than the JH5 is all categories. No offense to you, but by looking at the probability and ratio that you have rated them. Unless the JH5's are at the level of the Shure SE110 or Super Fi 3, I'm beginning to render the scores being not useful at all as it seems the scores are favoring the Grado's in an unmannerly way.

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #221 of 1,217
Does it mean its' inferior if the response isnt neutral? IMO yes. Is it worse? No, as that is subjective. If a transducer/speaker/whatever isn't designed to be accurate, its probably a gimmick or it made a tradeoff because of the pricepoint. The device is supposed to accurately replay a signal. Like I said, not worse...but certainly inferior to the ideal.

Don't want to get off-topic or soapbox...but it fits the conversation.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #222 of 1,217
Being neutral doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate. A representation could be on tone, on time, but with a greater magnitude. For example, the lows on the JH10X3 and ES3X. The ES3X has a more "neutral" magnitude to the rest of the frequency and the JH10X3 has a bump in the frequency range, but it doesn't mean it's not accurate or inferior.

Yes, every company is trying to reproduce the signal accurately, but every company puts a different power or emphasis on the representation. I understand your thoughts, it's exactly how Etymotic measure their "accuracy" for their monitors. As long as it's on tone and at the right speed, then it's accurate. But they don't measure how hard or powerful each frequency is at, that is why Etymotic's monitor tend to lack power in lows compared to other monitors despite being one of the most accurate on the market today.

This is flying off topic, but hey it's still related to how monitors are developed and made.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #223 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on those scores this would mean you are VERY disappointed with the JH5's right?

No I'm defiantly not disappointed at all. I had a feeling going in, they would not live up to the SR 225's.
That is cool with me because they serve a total different purpose. For that purpose they are great!!

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #224 of 1,217
Quote:

Quote:

No I'm defiantly not disappointed at all

Sadly your not disappointed?? Lol

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #225 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, just because a frequency is bumped, or the overall frequency response isn't neutral doesn't mean that it's inferior or worse. It's just a different way of presentation and shouldn't be noted as a inferior characteristic. I've heard the 225, i do not hear or see in anyways how the 225 could be 6-7 points higher than the JH5 is all categories. No offense to you, but by looking at the probability and ratio that you have rated them. Unless the JH5's are at the level of the Shure SE110 or Super Fi 3, I'm beginning to render the scores being not useful at all as it seems the scores are favoring the Grado's in an unmannerly way.

No I'm not offended at all. Everyone has to remember this is a discussion forum.
All forums are filled with everyones opinions! This is my opinion that they do not perform at near the level of the grado's.

It would be the same thing if someone asked me how well the sr225's did compared to my 2 channel rig.
The grado cans will not be able to compare with it. That is fine because each piece serves a different purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back