JH Audio JH5pro thread
Nov 5, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #227 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being neutral doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate. A representation could be on tone, on time, but with a greater magnitude. For example, the lows on the JH10X3 and ES3X. The ES3X has a more "neutral" magnitude to the rest of the frequency and the JH10X3 has a bump in the frequency range, but it doesn't mean it's not accurate or inferior.

Yes, every company is trying to reproduce the signal accurately, but every company puts a different power or emphasis on the representation. I understand your thoughts, it's exactly how Etymotic measure their "accuracy" for their monitors. As long as it's on tone and at the right speed, then it's accurate. But they don't measure how hard or powerful each frequency is at, that is why Etymotic's monitor tend to lack power in lows compared to other monitors despite being one of the most accurate on the market today.

This is flying off topic, but hey it's still related to how monitors are developed and made.

I'm confused by this...a flat frequency response is a perfect response according to the signal given to it. Now, that doesn't mean it can't have flaws...a flat response can still lack in dynamics or resolution. Perhaps you're speaking of tricks like the JH13 do with the bump at 50 hz to augment the bass. It is not flat, but the effect seems pleasant to just about everyone...I've still not yet heard a complaint about it.

What's the goin price for those grados anyways?

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #228 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by cujobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused by this...a flat frequency response is a perfect response according to the signal given to it. Now, that doesn't mean it can't have flaws...a flat response can still lack in dynamics or resolution. Perhaps you're speaking of tricks like the JH13 do with the bump at 50 hz to augment the bass. It is not flat, but the effect seems pleasant to just about everyone...I've still not yet heard a complaint about it.

Flat response is a flat response, but a neutral sound signature doesn't necessarily mean a flat frequency response, As more low's freq. energy is needed to sound at the same decibel levels as high and mid-range frequencies. On a graph meaning, the lows could show a higher decibel reading than the rest of the frequency but the monitor could still sound "neutral"

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #230 of 1,217
Quote:

A flat response is not what you want with in ear monitors. They have to compensate for being inside the ear, which means there is no effect of the the outer ear (pinna). There are also differences in frequency response needed because of being so close to the eardrum.

With a speaker, flat response is desirable. (Though even with a speaker, a truly flat response will often sound bright.) But we are used to hearing sound that has traveled through the air in the room, been modified by the outer ear, and traveled through the ear canal.

In Ear Monitors, to sound flat, need to be "ear flat", which is completely different than having a transducer that is the same as the signal. There are complex theories and techniques regarding ear flatness, which may be implemented differently by different manufacturers.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #231 of 1,217
Quote:

$200 or under new.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #232 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$200 or under new.

In North America. Grado has pretty significant price differentials in other parts of the world.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #234 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flat response is a flat response, but a neutral sound signature doesn't necessarily mean a flat frequency response, As more low's freq. energy is needed to sound at the same decibel levels as high and mid-range frequencies. On a graph meaning, the lows could show a higher decibel reading than the rest of the frequency but the monitor could still sound "neutral"

This is on the money. If you play a 50Hz tone and 500Hz tone encoded at the same decibel volume, but not same relative volume, the 500Hz tone will sound noticeably "louder" to your ear if you play them back with a flat earphone (i.e. ER-4S). Perceived loudness differs relationally to frequency response.

FWIW, I believe Jerry considers all of his monitors to be neutral, even down to the JH11. If you read some of Jerry's revelations about the JH16 (moseboy's recent posts), he describes it as having a bump in the mids and lower mids and still calls it neutral. I believe he mixes music with each of his designs while engineering them.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #236 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is on the money. If you play a 50Hz tone and 500Hz tone encoded at the same decibel volume, but not same relative volume, the 500Hz tone will sound noticeably "louder" to your ear if you play them back with a flat earphone (i.e. ER-4S). Perceived loudness differs relationally to frequency response.

FWIW, I believe Jerry considers all of his monitors to be neutral, even down to the JH11. If you read some of Jerry's revelations about the JH16 (moseboy's recent posts), he describes it as having a bump in the mids and lower mids and still calls it neutral. I believe he mixes music with each of his designs while engineering them.

Yup, just explained what i was trying to say
biggrin.gif
Easy to understand.

I think all the monitors are neutral except the JH5, and JH7....I THINK not sure about that. The JH10 is definitely neutral, while i find the JH10X3 rather neutral too. Since all the members of the 13 say they are neutral, i'm guessing they are neutral. The JH11 are describe as Clean and Accurate by Jerry himself, it's even listed on the Store.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #238 of 1,217
Well, I've got a pair of SR225i too, and i am finding polar opposite result. I think My JH5 pro's sound colorful like the grados, but less overwhelmingly bright. I see this as a pluss side, frankly.

The Jh5 has a warm, smooth signature with plenty of detail! it's also got a very nice, close soundstage, which is really growing on me. I didn't realize this until i plugged my ADDIEMs in and my SF.5 pro. i was astounded!

Only thing, now it's been a week or so and the fit is pretty tight, with a good seal. However, i am not experiencing that "disappear in my ears" comfort. I can feel it there after 45-minutes of listening, and even more after about an hour, more so if i am lock-jawed (i've got TMJ, so i clench my teeth sometimes).

the seal is great for SQ, so i don't want to mess with something that ain't broke... anyone else take a while to get used to wearing customs? They're most certainly more comfortable than the first 2 days i had them, it's just they don't "disappear".

i took the impressions with a bite block, open mouth, and the seal is good- hard to break unless i smile (chewing and all is pretty solid. only smiling un-seats them)

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #239 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've got a pair of SR225i too, and i am finding polar opposite result. I think My JH5 pro's sound colorful like the grados, but less overwhelmingly bright. I see this as a pluss side, frankly.

The Jh5 has a warm, smooth signature with plenty of detail! it's also got a very nice, close soundstage, which is really growing on me. I didn't realize this until i plugged my ADDIEMs in and my SF.5 pro. i was astounded!

Only thing, now it's been a week or so and the fit is pretty tight, with a good seal. However, i am not experiencing that "disappear in my ears" comfort. I can feel it there after 45-minutes of listening, and even more after about an hour, more so if i am lock-jawed (i've got TMJ, so i clench my teeth sometimes).

the seal is great for SQ, so i don't want to mess with something that ain't broke... anyone else take a while to get used to wearing customs? They're most certainly more comfortable than the first 2 days i had them, it's just they don't "disappear".

i took the impressions with a bite block, open mouth, and the seal is good- hard to break unless i smile (chewing and all is pretty solid. only smiling un-seats them)

Seems like you've gota good fit and seal. Are you wearing them on the spot? Tr turning them all the way back, tilt them back and forth, push them in. See if it helps, if you've got a seal, then that means you've get a pretty good fit, as your monitors aren't liked to be BIGGER than your impression, you might just be wearing them slightly off and it's causing the discomfort.

Good luck! JH10X3 in my ears at the moment
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #240 of 1,217
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do I have now or what have I owned before?

Only have the JH5 present.

What have you owned? What IEMs have you heard?

You say that the JH5 Pro is way below the SR225. How would you compare the JH5 Pro to other IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back