JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Aug 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #3,107 of 3,787
Quote:
My JH16 fits but after about a week of continuous usage, the left side does not fit as well and the entire sound skews towards the right. I have to stop using them for about 3-4 days and then start using them again for the problem to subside. This is after about 6 refits and absolutely unacceptable for an IEM that costs $1,100+.

I am tired of the JH16 having fit problems and might consider selling it and getting a custom IEM that just fits and is comfortable. I am seriously disappointed as the sound is spectacular, but JH cannot deliver on fit (and my audiologist is an authorized JH Audiologist on the site).

I might end up getting the Westone ES5. What are the best fitting custom IEMs that have had very little complaints on fit?

If you have problem with JH, u might have problem with most of the company since JH does a really good job on the fitting. Try Heir audio, they do perfect ear molds too. you can reshell your JH16 with them. or order their IEMs. they do a amazing job on ear molding.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #3,108 of 3,787
Quote:
My JH16 fits but after about a week of continuous usage, the left side does not fit as well and the entire sound skews towards the right. I have to stop using them for about 3-4 days and then start using them again for the problem to subside. This is after about 6 refits and absolutely unacceptable for an IEM that costs $1,100+.

I am tired of the JH16 having fit problems and might consider selling it and getting a custom IEM that just fits and is comfortable. I am seriously disappointed as the sound is spectacular, but JH cannot deliver on fit (and my audiologist is an authorized JH Audiologist on the site).

I might end up getting the Westone ES5. What are the best fitting custom IEMs that have had very little complaints on fit

6 refits sounds absurd.

Just came back from Audiologist... he did another impression and he will be sending back to JH Audio.  Hopefully it's better when I receive them.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #3,109 of 3,787
Hi Mate,

I've had about 5 or 6 refits as well, but they finally nailed it!
At least after a few hrs after getting them back today.

At the advice of my audiologist, I tried closed mouth impression. 

I know they tell you to have open mouth impressions, but the audiologist I was speaking with reckons that there is less variability with closed mouth impressions, and most of the time you are listening with your mouth closed. 

When the impression is setting, just make some chewing motions, but don't hold your mouth open, or grit your teeth or tense up, as that will make it uncomfortable once the mold sets, and you try to put in your new tight fitting customs. 

Trust me. I've made over 4 impressions, and finally after doing the closed mouth impressions, both sides fit perfect and the isolation is even better.

Worst comes to worst, its easier to add layers and increase isolation then shaving down, cos you can't be sure which part inside the inner ear is having pressure in the ear canal.

My 2c. 

The sound is phenomenal and kicks the sm3 and se535 that I have in detail and bass. The music sounds more lively and natural without having the turn the volume up so much.

Just be persistent, and the end of the road will be worth it.

Good luck!
James

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #3,110 of 3,787
This is my setup with my JH16's, http://www.aloaudio.com/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-black-pre-order  http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch ,http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=69 , http://www.aloaudio.com/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-amp-bag ,http://stefanaudioart.com/headphone%20cable%20E%20Series%20JH%2016%20Pro , which sounds fantastic.

I also use the JH16's with my Samsung Galaxy S3 and they still sound great. Sometimes when space allows I also hook up my older iBasso D10 in combination to my phone for ever greater extension, and a more open sound stage.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #3,112 of 3,787
Seems you all have great things to say about the JH16, i think these will be my next customs.

It's either these or the UM PP6, i have my eyes on.

Either way you'll need custom cables. I hope you can find some you like. :D

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3,113 of 3,787
Quote:
Either way you'll need custom cables. I hope you can find some you like.
biggrin.gif

Now, that's a tough one. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #3,115 of 3,787
Yep, great review!

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #3,116 of 3,787
Quote:
[size=large]JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions[/size]

[size=xx-small]This is a photo of the actual JH16 Pro I'm using. (Photo courtesy of JH Audio)[/size]

I received a production sample of the JH Audio JH16 Pro last week. And, yeah, I was excited.

When something's this new (especially at the level of performance of this class of headphones) it's sometimes hard to discern excitement for the newness (and all that's good about that particular newness) from your overall take on the product, relative to what you've had that you're comparing it to--kind of like dating someone new. That said, I'm not yet prepared to conclusively say that I like the JH16 Pro over the JH13 Pro, but I can say that, at this point, I'm enjoying the heck out of it (and, at this point, prefer it).

First of all, here's what I've used it with: I have mostly used it with my computer rig (with Amarra) driving the Lavry DA11, and amping with the Ray Samuels Audio Apache (single-ended), the Ray Samuels Audio Protector (single-ended), the Lavry DA11's headphone output, and the Luxman P-1. I have also used it directly out of an iPhone 3GS headphone output, and the iPhone 3GS/iPod Classic 160 amped with the Protector. My musical tastes vary a great deal (spanning most genres), and I have sampled the JH16 Pro against the JH13 Pro with a wide variety of musical genres.

Here are my early observations:
  1. The JH16 Pro's difference in bass is not only evident at high volumes, as might have been suggested earlier. It has more bass emphasis than the JH13 Pro, period.
  2. Listening to music with little to no content below 100Hz results in a virtual toss-up between the JH13 Pro and the JH16 Pro, though still they're not exactly the same (but close enough to, again, be a virtual toss-up).
    1. Treble performance, by the way--one of the JH13 Pro's great strengths--is just as good with the JH16 Pro, with all the detail, extension and shimmer of the JH13.
  3. Where they are mostly different--and noticeably so--is down below 100 Hz. More specifically, at or around 50 Hz is where most of the difference is, with the JH16 Pro being a few dB higher, or thereabouts.
  4. It's more than just the bump (relative to the JH13 Pro), but the bass characteristics are different: The JH16 Pro is simply more physical about it than the JH13 Pro, and I'm stating this as a positive trait--in my experience, it's the epitome of bass impact outside of a loudspeaker. Obviously, four drivers per ear dedicated to the task has much (if not everything) to do with this.
  5. The bass extension probably reaches at least as deep as any other headphone that I've heard. I currently have no ability to measure this to confirm my suspicions, but I feel very confident about this, using both music and several testing tracks. I actually can't think of a headphone I've ever heard with bass that sounds like it hits deeper and more impactfully than the JH16 Pro does.
    1. Other people will be getting theirs soon (if not already), and you're going to read a lot about this as they form their impressions, too. I guarantee it.
  6. The bass detail of the JH13 Pro set new standards for an in-ear monitor. The JH16 Pro elevates this, as there is more emphasis down there, but with absolutely no sense of any comparative loss of control (to these ears). If you tend to like your bass north of neutral--and you want this in a reference-level piece--the JH16 Pro is probably your dream headphone.
One thing that's amazing to me is that the JH16 Pro's low bass is far enough above neutral that I'd expect it to have a greater effect on the low-mids, but I find that its effect there is minimal to non-existent. For me, bass goes wrong and overblown when it's loose and uncontrolled and/or when the boost intrudes on the midrange, and, thankfully, neither of those things is happening with the JH16 Pro. Jerry Harvey is, to my mind, the master of the art of in-ear multi-driver crossovers. We've spent many hours conversing since JH Audio started offering IEMs, and I'd guess that a majority of that time has been spent discussing crossover design, both in general and very specifically. Jerry Harvey's knowledge--where engineering crossovers for multi-driver balanced armature pieces is concerned--is likely unparalleled. And, with the JH16 Pro, he has done masterful work on the bass-mid crossover--the JH16's mids are as pure as with the JH13 Pro to me.

Long story short on my first impression of the JH16 Pro is this: If you have (or have heard a good demo of) the JH13 Pro, and tend to prefer more bass impact than the JH13 Pro currently has (to my ears, the JH13 Pro doesn't lack for bass at all), then the JH16 Pro will give it to you with no tradeoffs that I can hear. If you don't have the JH13 Pro, and you're trying to decide between it and the JH16 Pro, I'd say to order the JH16 Pro if you've tended to prefer more bass impact in your headphones, and/or if you can say definitively that you tend to prefer your bass stronger than neutral. Order the JH13 Pro if you have a strong preference for neutrality (though the JH13 Pro is not perfectly neutral, it's certainly closer than the JH16 Pro).

The strange thing is that I've tended toward neutrality more strongly in the last couple of years, but yet right now the JH16 Pro is my preference--the extension, slam and control is otherworldly, even if it is boosted above neutrality. Like I said at the beginning of this post, however, it could be because it's still new and exciting to me, so time will tell, but I prefer the JH16 Pro right now. The JH16 Pro is like the JH13 Pro with an exceptionally well-engineered subwoofer arrangement.

NOTE: If you want to hear low frequency energy (as well as unrestrained dynamic range) in excellent, fun music, pick up XLO/Reference Recordings' Test & Burn-In CD, and play Track 18 ("Polka and Fugue"). Though the whole XLO/Reference Recordings CD is great, I think you can get the exact same single track on HDTracks.com for $2.98 by clicking here (and downloading Track 9). I bring this up because I've never heard "Polka and Fugue" sound better (through headphones) than through the JH16 Pro.

Thanks Jude for this thecky reviews!

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3,118 of 3,787
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for the "final impressions".

Did Jude ever make a review or any futher impressions after original post?

Sorry if this have been asked many times but I can't find it.

Cheers!

I haven't ploughed through this thread, but average_joe has a full review of the JH16s with source matching notes and useful comparisons. It should be really helpful for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back