JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Aug 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #3,076 of 3,787
ahhhh
isee
ok

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #3,077 of 3,787
I just joined the club of the JH16...  Got them today :)

Still getting used to getting the correct seal...

Audio coming from my IPhone seemed good until I connected JH16's to my PC's desktop sound card...  UFFF, What a difference...  WOW, What a difference...

Now, I would like to try to achieve this sound quality...

I suppose I now need to buy an AMP but would like to avoid a separate DAC... due to the portability of carrying three devices (IPhone,AMP &DAC)

Is there a device that has a DAC & AMP in one ?  That is not too big ?

If not... due to portability I suppose i can start with an AMP.... And possibly a DAC in the future...

What is the recommended AMP for JH16 ?

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3,078 of 3,787
Quote:

Audio coming from my IPhone seemed good until I connected JH16's to my PC's desktop sound card...  UFFF, What a difference...  WOW, What a difference...

I suppose I now need to buy an AMP but would like to avoid a separate DAC... due to the portability of carrying three devices (IPhone,AMP &DAC)

If not... due to portability I suppose i can start with an AMP.... And possibly a DAC in the future...

If you are willing to spend U$ 830 the answer is yes.. check it out..
http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=78

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #3,079 of 3,787
Quote:
If you are willing to spend U$ 830 the answer is yes.. check it out..
http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=78

Thanks for the suggestion... I do like that It's only 1 device...  but a couple of issues... I would prefer an IPhone to play music for the following reasons
1.  I'll have internet with Phone and I can stream from internet.
2.  Even though DX100 has Wi-Fi, I'll be commuting to work and won't have access to Wi-Fi
3.  Once in a while I will be taking calls and I won't hear Phone if I have an MP3 Player...

I would appreciate another suggestion :)

Again, since I'll be commuting... I would something that is portable but would like to attempt to get PC audio quality.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #3,080 of 3,787
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion... I do like that It's only 1 device...  but a couple of issues... I would prefer an IPhone to play music for the following reasons
2.  Even though DX100 has Wi-Fi, I'll be commuting to work and won't have access to Wi-Fi
3.  Once in a while I will be taking calls and I won't hear Phone if I have an MP3 Player...

Again, since I'll be commuting... I would something that is portable but would like to attempt to get PC audio quality.

Thanks in advance.

Use an iPhone 
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #3,081 of 3,787
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Fostex HP-P1

Pretty much your only option if you don't want three boxes and you don't want a standalone player.

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-USA-HP-P1-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005QM5MD2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344061159&sr=8-2&keywords=hpp1

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566026/fostex-hp-p1-portable-amplifier-and-dac-for-ipod-iphone-short-review-and-impressions-thread/615#post_8513645

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #3,082 of 3,787

Thanks for the heads up. I'll start checking it out.

Since IPhone 5 is coming very soon... I should probably wait.... Heard rumors where Apple may change its Dock....

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #3,083 of 3,787
Quote:
I would prefer an IPhone to play music for the following reasons

Thanks in advance.

1. Streaming music is just silly when you've paid more than a thousand dollars for IEMs unless services like Spotify make constant use of 320kbps (I'm not sure whether they do). You'd want at least 320kbps files.

Sure, I stream now and then too if there's a radioshow I need to listen to while I'm on the go, but the quality isn't very good and I might  as well have been listening with some less expensive headphones.

3. To make the most of your amp you'll want to use a LOD which would prevent you from actually taking calls. (At least in a pleasant way)

I'm not saying using your iPhone for music is a bad idea as I do the same, but there are obvious downsides to doing so.

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #3,084 of 3,787

The Fostex HP-P1 seems to be a solid combo to consider.

Aug 4, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #3,085 of 3,787
Quote:

1. Streaming music is just silly when you've paid more than a thousand dollars for IEMs unless services like Spotify make constant use of 320kbps (I'm not sure whether they do). You'd want at least 320kbps files.

Sure, I stream now and then too if there's a radioshow I need to listen to while I'm on the go, but the quality isn't very good and I might  as well have been listening with some less expensive headphones.

3. To make the most of your amp you'll want to use a LOD which would prevent you from actually taking calls. (At least in a pleasant way)

I'm not saying using your iPhone for music is a bad idea as I do the same, but there are obvious downsides to doing so.

When I was testing JH16's on my PC... I was really impressed... but you know what... I was actually playing music with Spotify :)  Yes, I do use Spotify because I get 320kbps... But Shortly... I'll be checking out MOG and see which is better...

But in reality... Right now I have a lot of MP3 music that are 128 kbps that I have collected over time...  Obviously... all of these are going to the garbage... And I will be starting fresh... Don't have the CD's... So now I will need to start buying CD's...  Hence I know it will take me time to get a good collection...

I do like services like Spotify.. because sometimes I do want to hear something new and discover new artists...

BTW, what does "LOD" stand for ?  In terms of taking calls on my IPhone... My understanding was that I will getting audio from IEM and using IPhone's mic.... 

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #3,086 of 3,787
Quote:

When I was testing JH16's on my PC... I was really impressed... but you know what... I was actually playing music with Spotify :)  Yes, I do use Spotify because I get 320kbps... But Shortly... I'll be checking out MOG and see which is better...

But in reality... Right now I have a lot of MP3 music that are 128 kbps that I have collected over time...  Obviously... all of these are going to the garbage... And I will be starting fresh... Don't have the CD's... So now I will need to start buying CD's...  Hence I know it will take me time to get a good collection...

I do like services like Spotify.. because sometimes I do want to hear something new and discover new artists...

BTW, what does "LOD" stand for ?  In terms of taking calls on my IPhone... My understanding was that I will getting audio from IEM and using IPhone's mic.... 

LOD : line out dock aka the part where u plug ur iphone into the usb async

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #3,088 of 3,787
Quote:
The Fostex HP-P1 seems to be a solid combo to consider.

OK.. I bought Fostex HP-P1...

My impressions are that "I don't get it" :)  
I honestly can't tell a difference between using or not using the Fostex... Now... When I plug my JH16 to my soundcard in PC... I can immediately tell the difference... There is just no comparison.

Here is what I did...
1.  Tried as best I can to match the sound levels between IPhone & Fostex...  (louder sounds seem to perceive a better sound... did my best to match sound level)
2.  Plugged my JH16 directly to Fostex and then to IPhone... (back & forth)

The filter doesn't seem to make any difference...
The gain.. I first started with the highest gain... (makes sound louder)... after some time... placed gain in lowest setting...

After plugging and re-plugging between IPhone and Fostex... I really can't tell a difference... and if there is a difference it must be minute.

Again, I did my best in matching sound level... but I really could not tell the difference...
I played 320Kbps from Spotify and I also played Apple lossless

I read many reviews... About how great they etc etc etc... Maybe it's just me... but I really can't tell a difference...

Good thing this comes with a 30 day money back :)

Oh, by the way... when I went to Audiologist... I did have a hearing test... and he said I had normal hearing.. :)

I'll continue checking it out... for a couple of days... and re evaluate.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #3,089 of 3,787
OK.. I bought Fostex HP-P1...

My impressions are that "I don't get it" :)  
I honestly can't tell a difference between using or not using the Fostex... Now... When I plug my JH16 to my soundcard in PC... I can immediately tell the difference... There is just no comparison.

Here is what I did...
1.  Tried as best I can to match the sound levels between IPhone & Fostex...  (louder sounds seem to perceive a better sound... did my best to match sound level)
2.  Plugged my JH16 directly to Fostex and then to IPhone... (back & forth)

The filter doesn't seem to make any difference...
The gain.. I first started with the highest gain... (makes sound louder)... after some time... placed gain in lowest setting...

After plugging and re-plugging between IPhone and Fostex... I really can't tell a difference... and if there is a difference it must be minute.

Again, I did my best in matching sound level... but I really could not tell the difference...
I played 320Kbps from Spotify and I also played Apple lossless

I read many reviews... About how great they etc etc etc... Maybe it's just me... but I really can't tell a difference...

Good thing this comes with a 30 day money back :)

Oh, by the way... when I went to Audiologist... I did have a hearing test... and he said I had normal hearing.. :)

I'll continue checking it out... for a couple of days... and re evaluate.

My HP-P1 arrived yesterday. I will get home tomorrow and play with it. I will plan on burning it in for a couple of hundred hours before I do any critical listening. We'll see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back