JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jul 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #3,046 of 3,787
Quote:
Hi, i'm new to this forum but reading it for a couple of days already.

I received my jh16pro yesterday. AMAZING!!

Can someone please post some pictures with the soft wrap applied?

my jh16 fit very well and they don't hurt but as soon as i start walking i can hear a little clicking noise every now and then. it also happens while yawning, eating and drinking. does anybody else have that?

they might need a refit but that's only going to happen after my vacation....

thanks

Clicking noise?

You would be surprised how much "noise" your jaw makes especially when you block out lots of outside noise :)

. I get clicking when chewing.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #3,047 of 3,787
I know how much noise my jaw makes but that's different (regular victim of ear inflammation).
when you wear your iems and slightly pull up your ear you hear that click noise. it's exactly like this but it happens while walking and moving my head..

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #3,048 of 3,787
There is an "outer" and "inner" seal with customs.  It seals on the outer ear and then again in the inner ear.  The click you are hearing is most likely due to an outer ear seal (if you look directly at an ear it is the deep well just to the left of your ear canal).  When the custom warms up it will stick to that well and when it unsticks there is a small click that is associated.  Nothing to worry about as long as the inner seal is intact.  If you move them around while listening you can "manually" break that outer seal and hear the click. It does not break the inner seal for me and therefore I have no loss in sound quality so I don't worry about it.  

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3,049 of 3,787
Thanks for the explanation, colinharding! You described my issue better than i did.
that's exactly what i'm facing.

i'm relieved that this is normal and i might even get used to it :)

this is my first  iem so i was little confused and worried.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #3,050 of 3,787
Quote:
I have the Pico Slim (with iMod 5.5 as a source) that I use with the JH13s and they rig works really well together.  Throw a CLAS in there and it steps everything up a notch..... a big notch!

What kind of battery life do you get on that rig? Is the CLAS the shortest battery life in the stack?

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #3,051 of 3,787
Quote:
What kind of battery life do you get on that rig? Is the CLAS the shortest battery life in the stack?

With the Pico Slim and iMod, it's the iMod that runs out of juice first.  With the iPod Classic>CLAS>Continental, it's the CLAS that runs down first after about 8-9 hours.  Add in the JH-3A and it's the 3A that just runs out faster the the CLAS, but still a good 7-8 hours.   The 3A takes for ever to re-charge.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #3,052 of 3,787
Quote:
With the Pico Slim and iMod, it's the iMod that runs out of juice first.  With the iPod Classic>CLAS>Continental, it's the CLAS that runs down first after about 8-9 hours.  Add in the JH-3A and it's the 3A that just runs out faster the the CLAS, but still a good 7-8 hours.   The 3A takes for ever to re-charge.

How do you like the Continental as a portable amp? Fun to see a tube device that is self powered.

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #3,053 of 3,787
Quote:
How do you like the Continental as a portable amp? Fun to see a tube device that is self powered.

I'm still trying it out.  Right now, from the iPod Classic > CLAS > Continental v2 (low gain; pot at 9am) > JH13 (Whiplash Twag cable), I find the highs a bit harsh and a little "fuzzy" compared with the iPod Classic > Pico Slim > JH13.  But there is some real warmth around the mids.  The bass extension is excellent.  But it is also with the Pico.

I just don't have that many listening hours with the Continental to say anything definitive across a number of recordings and how it sounds with classical and jazz.  More later....

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #3,054 of 3,787
I'm still trying it out.  Right now, from the iPod Classic > CLAS > Continental v2 (low gain; pot at 9am) > JH13 (Whiplash Twag cable), I find the highs a bit harsh and a little "fuzzy" compared with the iPod Classic > Pico Slim > JH13.  But there is some real warmth around the mids.  The bass extension is excellent.  But it is also with the Pico.

I just don't have that many listening hours with the Continental to say anything definitive across a number of recordings and how it sounds with classical and jazz.  More later....

No question you need a good 150-200 hours on it before you can make any good comments. I am interested in what you see as it burns in. I am shopping for a good portable for the HD650's and the continental is one I would like to consider.

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #3,055 of 3,787
I know it is annoying, but I am reposting a previous post that had no response. I would REALLY LOVE it if somebody with the jh16 experiecne answered this. Thanks SO MUCH

hello
im sorry if this was already mentioned
i just got my jh16.
i do not consider myself an audiophile.
with the jh16, is there a huge difference between 320kbps ogg vorbis and flac/lossleess?
I always could never hear the difference
Does the jh16 really show the clear difference if I just run it unamped from my macbook pro or ipod touch?
im asking cuz flac is so hard to get for me and I am not sure if it is worth the effort to get those file types
thanks

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #3,056 of 3,787
I know it is annoying, but I am reposting a previous post that had no response. I would REALLY LOVE it if somebody with the jh16 experiecne answered this. Thanks SO MUCH

Whether you can hear the difference is something that gets discussed a lot here with no clear answer. Personally I think its down to a number of factors including the Hardware you are using and your own ears. I use FLAC as I normally rip my music from CD and want a bit perfect lossless copy for archive...I also for the same reason will only buy FLAC. I would suggest you rip a CD to both FLAC and 320k and spend some time listening somewhere quiet and decide for yourself whether YOU can hear the difference.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #3,057 of 3,787
Quote:

Go install Foobar on your Macbook, install the ABX plugin, grab your favourite CD and rip to both FLAC and 320kbps mp3 and test your own ears.  It's the only way to find out instead of asking others.

Absolutely no sight testing, that defeats the purpose.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #3,058 of 3,787
Foobar doesnt work on mac
but i used abx tester, the most popular choice for mac users
unfortunately it only gives percentages and thats it.
so for classical i got, 4/5 correct.
for modern/pop/rap/todays hits i got 3/5 probably for its inferior mastering.
do you guys think it was good enough for me to go lossless?
thanks a lot for the replies

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3,059 of 3,787
also
what is the best portable amp for a jh16?
some people say its jh3a, others say pico slim or rsa protector or rsa 71b
which is it?

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #3,060 of 3,787
iif i am not listening to the jh16 with an amp, am i missing out a lot? even for such poorlyrecorded songs as modern music? how much does an amp diference make? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back