JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 27, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #2,326 of 3,787
Goot my set back from the third refit.  I had some discussion first with Noy about the tonal balance being muted, and that if I rotated the IEM a bit towards the front of my head the sound snapped into focus.  They did a little more fit work, the left ear is now perfect, the right might be a little looser, but I think it's staying well sealed.

Noy did a great job.  The sound is more balanced, and the top end has more sparkle to it but isn't bright.  Listened to some Mozart earlier, and on to Younger Brother at the other end of the spectrum.  Definitely feeling the love for the IEM now.  I think I'm finally getting their potential out of them.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 27, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #2,327 of 3,787
Good form on getting the fitting sorted. With shipping all the way to the far side of Australia, I really hope that mine fit first time. I am quite anxious about the first listen. Especially since my audiologist was adamant that a bite block was not required. I had them done twice anyhow as I was especially not confident about the first impression session. I held my jaw open and stable for the second fitting.

May 27, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #2,328 of 3,787
Kremer930 - Just hope for the best. If it doesnt work out, it may be a bit annoying, but JHA will sort you out eventually.

Strange to read all these comments to do with sibilance and the JH16s sounding worse to TF10s etc.

I had a bit of sibilance and overpowering bass at the beginning, which got me a little worried at first.

A few days of playing repeatedly on an ipod/alo rx combo on random and all is well.

Sound is phenomenal. Like listening to a great B&W/Linn setup.... with the addition of a couple of high quality subwoofers that perfectly match the speakers crossover.

Went back to my Shure 530s with ACS sleeves and they sound weak in comparison.

I've got big Dumbo-like ears though, so the guys in JHA probably felt like they were building a pair of small speakers rather than IEMs.

May 27, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #2,329 of 3,787
It is really exciting to hear your comments about the sound quality of the jh16. To have them compared to Linns is very impressive. I have triple fi 10's and whilst I love them I am hoping for a noticeable improvement. At least I know now that they will respond well to burn in.

May 27, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2,330 of 3,787
The audiologists are all about hearing aids, and bass reproduction/ambient noise are not really on their radar.  I talked to two and they both had the same POV.  Be direct with them that a block is mandatory...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 27, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #2,332 of 3,787
My audiologist centre that I went to didn't have a bite block. All I could do was to open my mouth and then squeeze my cheeks into my molars and try to keep as still as possible. It seems to work quite well. Fingers crossed, well enough! You will all get to read of my joy or despair within the next two weeks. I posted my impressions to JH on 24 May and so they should get to JH by about 3 June. I am hoping to have some shiny JH16's by 15 June.

For those people thinking of making the purchase of a set of custom iems I partially chose JH because of their fast turn around times. My second preference was a set of Unique Melody Merlins. But they only ship to their China factory every two weeks and the factory then had up to 3 weeks to ship back to UM, who would then ship to me. JH on the other hand said that they normally ship out the completed iems 3-5 days later direct to me.

May 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #2,336 of 3,787
Am I missing something?  Why would someone pay full retail and then have to pay to have them remolded just to end up with a used pair of iems?  Arent you being a little optimistic?  I paid retail less 15% on mine with the recent one day sale.  Is there a custom cable included or something that I missed?

How much will you be looking for for your RSA amp?

Cheers

May 31, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #2,337 of 3,787
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought the sony mdr ex 1000s about 1 and half months ago. and i love them. Im so glad to hear that they do very well against the JH 16s ....and look at the price difference!!!!!!!!! thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And i ordered the TTVJ SLIM and i cant wait to try that with my ex1000s !!!!!!!!!

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #2,338 of 3,787
Is nobody buying 16's anymore?

Are you all going for the JHA-3 instead?
Or ES5 Perhaps.

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #2,339 of 3,787
I am hanging out to receive my JH16. I am guessing that my impressions would have got to Florida by 8 June. Hopefully I will have some sweet tunes by 15th.

Did other JH buyers receive any updates? I was hoping to see some progress on the log in area of JH but so far my order just says pending. I sent an email to customer service on Thursday morning and no response as yet. This is different to my expectations. JH service was quite talked up.

I must admit though that I was really stoked to be able to take advantage of the gettinhitched discount code. 15% off takes away the hurt factor slightly.

I have been trying to research amps for the Jh16 and there doesnt seem to be a clear direction. My preference at this stage is the ibasso PB2 as a poor mans version of the RSA 71b. Does anyone have any views?

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #2,340 of 3,787
The order status notification system on JHAudio's website isn't the best, to be sure. Mine was also "Pending" for quite a while until I emailed them regarding the status of my impressions, whereupon the status became "Earmolds received" and stayed that way until I, to my surprise and great pleasure, found my JH16s lying on my doorstep. It's a difficult wait, but the results are worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back