JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Feb 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2,086 of 3,787
Afaik they don't mix new colours, but there's so many good ones to choose from so it doesn't bother me at all. And the candy lime really makes yours pop.

I agree, they've made a big leap in the past few yeas regarding the quality of custom artwork.

For some reason though, they made my customs candy lime trans instead of the color in the picture I send them which was similar but a bit darker and more greenish.

I'm guessing they didn't want to make an effort and mix together a new color since there wasn't that much of a difference. :frowning2:

Though, I would have liked them to pay closer attention to what it looked liked in the picture. There's a reason why I didn't choose candy lime when I ordered. :O

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #2,088 of 3,787
Quote:

I'm not sure how removing two of the low-end drivers would reduce the harshness you were experiencing up top?  I believe that's the only difference between the two models.  

The 16 are triple bore and the 13s are dual bore, so its probably an ear geometry issue.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #2,089 of 3,787
Quote:
...At least you've got reliable shipping services between Europe and the US, I wouldn't be as comfortable sending extremely expensive IEMs back and forth to China for instance.

Not to get into national squabbles here (I am actually a Canadian living in China), but ordering Westone ES5s from the States and sending them back twice for refits was not an issue. There is relaible shipping to and from the world's second largest economy. :wink:

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #2,090 of 3,787
Hi everyone, I was not planning to get any art on my jh16 (i wont appreciate it anyway myself would just be for others to enjoy) but htis nuclear hazard thing sounds cool! I have always been into sci-fi cyberpunk and post apocalypse stuff. I was wondering wether you have to order first (so pay up front) or if you can send your impressions first? Jha gave me the impression that i have to order first but i often do it through paypal (i have an account) and that owuld mean paying even though they dont have your impresisons yet. I guess i could just not log into paypal and pay with cc through paypal that way (my paypal account is first and formost bound to my bank account). How did everyone else do it? Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #2,091 of 3,787
That is unless your needs for refits or repairs coincides with the Asian New Year. Don't get me wrong, Christmas holidays make shipping to and from a number of western countries a hassle too, for instance I had a package held up in the UK for almost 3 weeks this Christmas. Yet I enjoyed a 2 day delivery of an order from the US, that was placed at the same date.

Quote:
Quote:
...At least you've got reliable shipping services between Europe and the US, I wouldn't be as comfortable sending extremely expensive IEMs back and forth to China for instance.

Not to get into national squabbles here (I am actually a Canadian living in China), but ordering Westone ES5s from the States and sending them back twice for refits was not an issue. There is relaible shipping to and from the world's second largest economy. :wink:

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #2,092 of 3,787

Hi everyone, I was not planning to get any art on my jh16 (i wont appreciate it anyway myself would just be for others to enjoy) but htis nuclear hazard thing sounds cool! I have always been into sci-fi cyberpunk and post apocalypse stuff. I was wondering wether you have to order first (so pay up front) or if you can send your impressions first? Jha gave me the impression that i have to order first but i often do it through paypal (i have an account) and that owuld mean paying even though they dont have your impresisons yet. I guess i could just not log into paypal and pay with cc through paypal that way (my paypal account is first and formost bound to my bank account). How did everyone else do it? Greetings, Anouk,

I ordered first and simply paid via paypal. If your paypal acc is bound to your bank account, you should transfer the money to your paypal account first, because debit advice procedure (or whatever thats called in english)is not possible for international transactions.

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #2,093 of 3,787
I always use PayPal and it has served me very well so far. The rare cases where I haven't received the products I've paid for, PayPal have been able to very easily and quickly withdraw funds previously transferred. I think it would be easier paper-work-wise for JH Audio to have an open order, and have your impressions connected to that order - that should smoothe things along instead of having them look through orders for a match.

If you place your order through their website your custom art is attached in that order process.

Quote:

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #2,094 of 3,787
I've just taken the leap and ordered my JH16 Pros. These will be my first custom IEMs as I'm upgrading from the shure SE530.

Can anyone provide some insight into how much of an improvement I should expect? Will the JH 16s blow the se530s out of the water in terms of sound quality? Currently, I'm using a rockboxed 5.5G ipod as my source, and might decide to purchase an amp in the future. And do most people require a refit?

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #2,095 of 3,787

Quote:
I've just taken the leap and ordered my JH16 Pros. These will be my first custom IEMs as I'm upgrading from the shure SE530.

Can anyone provide some insight into how much of an improvement I should expect? Will the JH 16s blow the se530s out of the water in terms of sound quality? Currently, I'm using a rockboxed 5.5G ipod as my source, and might decide to purchase an amp in the future. And do most people require a refit?

It will be a noticeable improvement :) In terms of refits some do and some don't... just make sure not to wait to get a refit that you need as I did. I've been missing out on quality sound for months because I didn't want to part with them and just got it done and can't be happier!

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #2,096 of 3,787
The difference between the Shures and the JH16 will be like going from seeing Avatar in 2-D to 3-D. Took me a few refits though and I had the same problem as OPTIK. I didn't want to take them off long enough to send them in! I tried to change the structure of my right ear but alas G-d does not have a customer service plan:frowning2:

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #2,099 of 3,787
Or get a used DACPort if you don't have a good DAC, or iBasso D6/D12 or RSA Predator if you want batteries, etc.  The DAC matters as much as an amp, particularly for the IEM which needs less power to jam.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 16, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #2,100 of 3,787
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to wait till my JH 16's arrive before making any decisions. Though I think I'll just stick to using them unamped for now and add the amp when I have the money.

mrspeakers: since you've owned the se530's, how do you think they compare to the JH 16 pros unamped? The main flaw with the shures in my opinion are the rolled off highs. Also the sub-bass sound like it's rolled off to me as well below ~50Hz. I've tried EQing the 530s, but still can't get the treble and deep bass I was looking for. Hopefully the JH 16's meet my expectations and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back