JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Feb 9, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #2,056 of 3,787

Quote:
I've been wondering at that myself, perhaps it's best to get them cleaned first just to be safe.

I was also wondering what kind of portable amps you guys are driving these things with? I'm curious about the RSA amps (Protector, SR-71b) and the Stepdance - if anyone has experience to share I'd be grateful.

I'd say it would be a good idea to get your ears cleaned first. The audiologist will inspect your ears prior to impressions being made to make sure they are clean.
As far as amps, I got a big improvement when running the 16's balanced using Ray's Protector. I just traded up to a SR-71B which I got yesterday. The SR-71B is similar sounding but a bit warmer with better bass control, plus it has the guts to run my Sennheiser HD-650's.

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #2,057 of 3,787
Hi everyone, I need your advice. I will make a separate thread in the portable amp forum as well at some point but since all the jh16 owners seem to live here... I was all set to get the jh16 first with the stepdance and twag cable. After that I read about the 71b, I guess Rob is the only one who heard both amps but I do think the 71b might be more emotionally involving. I still have to reread his comments though. BUT THEN I read about the jh3a system. That one seems really tempting because its made by the developers of the jh16 themselves and should negate the need for an external portable amp. I would not mind getting an iriver h140 as source since I am blind and the iriver is one of the only dedicated mp3-players I can use without any problems (rockbox can talk). I am wondering though about the bulk of their system and about internal parts used. It would be cheaper then 71b and twag though. I am not sure if I would be able to use aftermarket cables. I want to make this choice before I buy because I dont intend to send it back afterwards (my jh16) and have it modded. I hope though jhaudio will run a promotion or discount on the jh3a though. Any advice here or via pm would be greatly appreciated because I dont know what to do at this point. Thanks in advance, Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2,058 of 3,787
Just got confirmation that my 16's have been shipped. They are supposed to arrive on February 16th. I'm very surprised how fast they are. They received my impressions on tuesday so it took them 2 days to assemble and ship it! :D

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #2,059 of 3,787
Anouk, if you are really curious about the JH3A, you may want to wait a few more weeks for people to start receiving their units and reviews to start coming in.  You will be able to use aftermarket cables with the JH3A, but obviously you will be tied to that amp and won't be able to use the JH16s straight from the headphone out of a DAP or with any other amp.  The dimensions of the JH3A were posted in the JH3A thread, from what I can tell it's pretty slim--probably about the same size as the Pico Slim or TTVJ amp.

I have owned the JH16s for about 7 months now, and they still blow me away every day.  I'm sure the JH3A will be a great system, but you really can't go wrong with the JH16s and a quality source like the HM-801.  If you're willing to wait about a month or two for a sufficient number of owners to comment on the JH3A and discover any flaws or bugs, then I would say hold off.  Otherwise, I feel that the JH16 and the Protector/SR71b with TWag have an incredible synergy together; the TWag and the 71b seem to give the JH16 an extra level of clarity, bass definition, and soundstage width.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2,060 of 3,787
Looks alot bigger than the Pico Slim from the pictures I've seen. If it was in fact about the same size as the Pico, I'd be hard pressed to find a compelling reason not to get the JH-3a.

But then again, the JH16s are pretty amazing straight out of a DAP, and you can take 'em out running without carrying that extra bulk of an amp. I'm not even sure the amp's batteries would last me a day's usage.

Quote:
Anouk, if you are really curious about the JH3A, you may want to wait a few more weeks for people to start receiving their units and reviews to start coming in.  You will be able to use aftermarket cables with the JH3A, but obviously you will be tied to that amp and won't be able to use the JH16s straight from the headphone out of a DAP or with any other amp.  The dimensions of the JH3A were posted in the JH3A thread, from what I can tell it's pretty slim--probably about the same size as the Pico Slim or TTVJ amp.

I have owned the JH16s for about 7 months now, and they still blow me away every day.  I'm sure the JH3A will be a great system, but you really can't go wrong with the JH16s and a quality source like the HM-801.  If you're willing to wait about a month or two for a sufficient number of owners to comment on the JH3A and discover any flaws or bugs, then I would say hold off.  Otherwise, I feel that the JH16 and the Protector/SR71b with TWag have an incredible synergy together; the TWag and the 71b seem to give the JH16 an extra level of clarity, bass definition, and soundstage width.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #2,061 of 3,787
Hi, Yeah this is a pretty big decision. I might indeed consider waiting a few months. Because, after all i think the jh16 is the iem for me. Although there is all the angst of sending impressions to the usa and then maybe having to send the finished product back for refits (it takes at least 10 days for products to reach the usa from nl). I dont understand why i cant use the jh3a from an analog osurce htough? Doesnt it have an analog input as well as an optical (digital) one? At this time I am not sure if I would neccessarily get a twag cable but my alternative to the jh3a would certainly involve something balanced (maybe an ibasso combo). Greetings, Anouk,

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2,062 of 3,787

Quote:
Hi, Yeah this is a pretty big decision. I might indeed consider waiting a few months. Because, after all i think the jh16 is the iem for me. Although there is all the angst of sending impressions to the usa and then maybe having to send the finished product back for refits (it takes at least 10 days for products to reach the usa from nl). I dont understand why i cant use the jh3a from an analog osurce htough? Doesnt it have an analog input as well as an optical (digital) one? At this time I am not sure if I would neccessarily get a twag cable but my alternative to the jh3a would certainly involve something balanced (maybe an ibasso combo). Greetings, Anouk,

It does have an analog input.  You just cant use the IEM by themselves with any other amp or DAP except with the JH3A amp which goes between your your source and the IEM.  So, you can use a line out dock from iPhone to JH3A amp to the IEM.  But you always have to use the amp.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #2,063 of 3,787
Sure the JH-3A has an analog input but it has to convert that signal to digital before it gets processed by the DPS and then amplified again, hence having a digital source should result in better sound quality due to less conversions.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #2,067 of 3,787

Hi, No I have never auditioned a custom iem. I just went by reviews. Anyway I will have to make a new appointment for ear impressions because I have to get my ears cleaned at a doctor first. I wont go to the seem shop though, pretty unfriendly guy. Greetings, Anouk,

Try & get an audition if you can. There are places that can offer this. I ordered a pair of 16s & tbh I hated them. I just auditioned the 13s & I found them to be hugely different in every way from the 16s. JH have agreed to remake my 16s into 13s. Horrible treble presentation on the 16s (to my ears)

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #2,068 of 3,787
Hi Nuwidol,

What did you mean by that ``Horrible treble presentation on the 16s (to my ears)``? Did you get sibilance?

Rodrigo

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,069 of 3,787

Quote:
Hi Nuwidol,

What did you mean by that ``Horrible treble presentation on the 16s (to my ears)``? Did you get sibilance?

Rodrigo

HUGE amounts of it. Couple with with a harsh sounding squeal, that sounded more like it was being squashed & twisted through midrange drivers, rather than the treble drivers. I'm not joking here, this is what I heard on 2 pairs of my own 16s, & one pair of universals.

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #2,070 of 3,787

Quote: Originally Posted by Parrots /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know if this has been posted before but if anyone wants to try out someone else's customs then you can do it with a pair of comply tips after taking out the centre tube and it gives a very good seal, after trying this is when I realised my customs needed extra coats as they sounded better with the comply then they did before I put the nail varnish on.

This is basically what the universal demo versions are. I took pics yesterday:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back