JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Dec 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #1,936 of 3,787
The silver dragon cable Yale is referring to is not by Moon Audio. It's something by Jaben although I had no idea they did cables for the customs. I've only seen them on UE universal pins and the IE8.

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #1,937 of 3,787
Here's the link. You may need to contact them directly and ask for the cable. I believe they do ship internationally.

http://www.jaben.com.hk/about.asp?id=55

Honestly, I think you need to listen to these cables side-by-side in order to make an educated comparison. Jaben has some US$1K Chrystal Piccolo iem cables which I refused to try for obvious reasons. I was told that only two spools of the Piccolos were ever made and it has a very high gold content....blah, blah, blah....

Null-Audio of Singapore also carries some insane iem cables....

Quote:

Sounds legit. Can you provide me with a link? I can't seem to find it on Jaben.

Also, there's a preoder going on for the new Moon Audio Silver Dragon IEM cables. Now that I think about it, it's strange that these have the same name as yours...

Here's the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527035/hot-new-moon-audio-com-silver-dragon-iem-cable

It really makes me wonder the level of improvement one silver cable may have over the other, and if it's even worth it to go so far as to to drop $300 on one.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #1,938 of 3,787
Thanks for the link.  Do these guys sell/ship to US at all?  Half the site looks to be in Chinese, but I do see the cable (I think), don't see how to order it or cost in USD...  oh, duh, sorry, I just read your post again.

Quote:
Here's the link. You may need to contact them directly and ask for the cable. I believe they do ship internationally.

http://www.jaben.com.hk/about.asp?id=55

Honestly, I think you need to listen to these cables side-by-side in order to make an educated comparison. Jaben has some US$1K Chrystal Piccolo iem cables which I refused to try for obvious reasons. I was told that only two spools of the Piccolos were ever made and it has a very high gold content....blah, blah, blah....

Null-Audio of Singapore also carries some insane iem cables....

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #1,943 of 3,787
The cable looks great but I'm totally intimidated by having to call a little shop in Hong Kong to get it... anybody got a used one they want to sell me?

Quote:
ACall directly and ask for Derek. The cable retails for about HK$750. Note 13hr difference between PA and HK.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #1,945 of 3,787
Hi!

I know it is in portuguese, But I hope that you get the idea by the images! And thank you for helping me to decide witch custom I should buy! I got the JH16 PRO and I'm really pleased. You can get better image quality watching in 720p

Rodrigo Pita

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #1,946 of 3,787
How do folks feel the 16s compare in terms of soundstage depth and instrument placement compared to say £250 Sennheiser or B&W J5 closed headphones? I had a listen the other day and would like the opinions of others to see if they tally with mine.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #1,949 of 3,787

So you think Twag+Protector into JH16 makes for a much better soundstage -- is that the main benefit of balancing and Twagging?

Quote:
In my experience, it depends on the headphone and the IEM in question.  A JH13 or JH16 Pro TWag-recabled from a balanced amp has a pretty impressive soundstage on this side of an AKG K1K.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #1,950 of 3,787

Quote:
So you think Twag+Protector into JH16 makes for a much better soundstage -- is that the main benefit of balancing and Twagging?

Quote:
In my experience, it depends on the headphone and the IEM in question.  A JH13 or JH16 Pro TWag-recabled from a balanced amp has a pretty impressive soundstage on this side of an AKG K1K.

Speaking of personal experience with the equipment I have, I would say that a properly burned in TWag cable will increase your soundstage on both the JH13 and 16 even when paired with a single-ended amp.  To the degree it does, however, depends on other factors, such as your source and the interconnects between the source and the amp (if they are separate).  For example, switching to the "Fat Boy" reference LOD from the regular WhipLOD has increased the soundstage further, among other improvements.

Perhaps the most compelling reason for a balanced setup is the increased soundstage in general, however, doing that in a portable setup was not in the picture until the Protector appeared on the market.  The new SR71B and the iBasso PB1 should improve that even further (I have a PB1 and did audition an early prototype of the SR71B back in August), but at the cost of battery life and added bulk.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back