JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Dec 11, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #1,922 of 3,787

Quote:
You paid upwards of $1000.00 for them and your considering keeping a right IEM that pops out by itself? What you should do is keep inserting them and take note of exactly what's causing them to pop out so that you can describe accurately what the problem is. It's frustrating indeed but if you have a good pair of back up IEMs it shouldn't be that bad. JHA prioritizes refits so you would have them back in less than two weeks but you should send them out asap because christmas is coming and people will be on vacation. As for isolation, I find that if you can snap your fingers right next to your ear when the IEM is inserted and hear practically nothing then the isolation is good enough, you probably think that the left IEM is perfect when it isn't. With my JH16's I really don't need more isolation than I have, when the music is playing I can't hear anything else and I don't want to be totally oblivious to everything when there's no music playing anyway.

The right earpiece doesn't actually pop out, I just feel a popping inside (seal breaking) when I move my jaw side to side or open my mouth a bit.  You're right about the left earpiece not being perfect.  I tested the seal of each earpiece with a 50hz test tone, and it turns out the left earpiece (which I thought was perfect) is the real dud, bass virtually non-existant.  I pretty much needed to push and hold the skin in around my ear opening a bit to get the right seal, and the bass magically appeared.  Seal completely disappears in both ears with my mouth open.  I'm assuming they can just thicken up both earpieces for a more snug fit.  

Regarding the finger snap "test", I can clearly hear the sound of me lightly rubbing my thumb and index finger together, so I'm pretty sure I'm not getting optimal isolation/seal.  

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #1,923 of 3,787

Quote:
Quote:
My JH16 PRO! 
L3000.gif

How's the fit? Good?

Quote:
That was my question.

Hi Riceball and Dallan,

The Fit is perfect, I did the impression at JH AUDIO in Apopka FL. I can open my mouth very wide, talk and eat and I don't loose the seal.

Rodrigo

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #1,924 of 3,787
He does a great job with the impressions at JHA !  I highly recommend doing it that way if you can...

Quote:
Hi Riceball and Dallan,  
The Fit is perfect, I did the impression at JH AUDIO in Apopka FL. I can open my mouth very wide, talk and eat and I don't loose the seal.

Rodrigo

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #1,925 of 3,787
Sensaphonics has a nice little alternating 50/500 Hz test tone.  http://www.sensaphonics.com/test/index.html

Using this, I can definitely confirm that as my jaw opens to "talking" angles, I lose the seal but it restores as my jaw returns to rest.  Pro musicians (which I'm not) obviously have to have a snugger fit than I have as the seal has to maintain when they sing.  

For me, this has shown up in air travel when I eat.  I'll probably do one more pass to thicken the posts in the ear canal to keep the seal a little snugger at wider jaw angles...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 12, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #1,926 of 3,787

Quote:
Sensaphonics has a nice little alternating 50/500 Hz test tone.  http://www.sensaphonics.com/test/index.html

Using this, I can definitely confirm that as my jaw opens to "talking" angles, I lose the seal but it restores as my jaw returns to rest.  Pro musicians (which I'm not) obviously have to have a snugger fit than I have as the seal has to maintain when they sing.  

For me, this has shown up in air travel when I eat.  I'll probably do one more pass to thicken the posts in the ear canal to keep the seal a little snugger at wider jaw angles...

Did you take the impressions with your mouth open? You're supposed to. It's not just for singers it's also because if you take the impressions with your mouth open it means that they will be really snug when your mouth is closed and they also will not lose seal when you yawn, eat or open your mouth for any reason. Basically if you take the impressions with your mouth closed then the fit of the iems will only be as good as they need to be rather than really tight. Your iems should only lose their seal when you decide to take them out.

Dec 12, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #1,927 of 3,787

Quote:
Quote:
You paid upwards of $1000.00 for them and your considering keeping a right IEM that pops out by itself? What you should do is keep inserting them and take note of exactly what's causing them to pop out so that you can describe accurately what the problem is. It's frustrating indeed but if you have a good pair of back up IEMs it shouldn't be that bad. JHA prioritizes refits so you would have them back in less than two weeks but you should send them out asap because christmas is coming and people will be on vacation. As for isolation, I find that if you can snap your fingers right next to your ear when the IEM is inserted and hear practically nothing then the isolation is good enough, you probably think that the left IEM is perfect when it isn't. With my JH16's I really don't need more isolation than I have, when the music is playing I can't hear anything else and I don't want to be totally oblivious to everything when there's no music playing anyway.

The right earpiece doesn't actually pop out, I just feel a popping inside (seal breaking) when I move my jaw side to side or open my mouth a bit.  You're right about the left earpiece not being perfect.  I tested the seal of each earpiece with a 50hz test tone, and it turns out the left earpiece (which I thought was perfect) is the real dud, bass virtually non-existant.  I pretty much needed to push and hold the skin in around my ear opening a bit to get the right seal, and the bass magically appeared.  Seal completely disappears in both ears with my mouth open.  I'm assuming they can just thicken up both earpieces for a more snug fit.  

Regarding the finger snap "test", I can clearly hear the sound of me lightly rubbing my thumb and index finger together, so I'm pretty sure I'm not getting optimal isolation/seal.  

That's what I meant to say rather than snapping actually.

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #1,928 of 3,787

Quote:
Quote:

Did you take the impressions with your mouth open? You're supposed to. It's not just for singers it's also because if you take the impressions with your mouth open it means that they will be really snug when your mouth is closed and they also will not lose seal when you yawn, eat or open your mouth for any reason. Basically if you take the impressions with your mouth closed then the fit of the iems will only be as good as they need to be rather than really tight. Your iems should only lose their seal when you decide to take them out.

Yes, I had a bite-block.  Maybe I should have crammed my fist in my mouth...   My wife asks me to do that all the time and she knows best. 
beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #1,929 of 3,787

Haha, I don't think that's necessary!  I'm convinced, you need a refit for sure.  I just ate a pizza and the seal maintained well throughout the whole process... couldn't hear fingers rubbing when the music was turned off.  You should definitely be getting a better seal than what you describe!
Quote:
Yes, I had a bite-block.  Maybe I should have crammed my fist in my mouth...   My wife asks me to do that all the time and she knows best. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #1,931 of 3,787

I'm using these silver cables with Pailiccs connectors from Jaben which I picked up for less than US$100. Very neutral and really opened up my 16's. The standard OEM cables sounded dark and murky in comparison. I have not tried the TWag. I may consider getting balanced cables at a later stage.Quote:

Has anyone tried out any other replacement cables for their JH16/13's besides the highly regarded Whiplash TWAg?

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #1,932 of 3,787

Quote:
I'm using these silver cables with Pailiccs connectors from Jaben which I picked up for less than US$100. Very neutral and really opened up my 16's. The standard OEM cables sounded dark and murky in comparison. I have not tried the TWag. I may consider getting balanced cables at a later stage.Quote:

Has anyone tried out any other replacement cables for their JH16/13's besides the highly regarded Whiplash TWAg?

Sounds legit. Can you provide me with a link? I can't seem to find it on Jaben.

Also, there's a preoder going on for the new Moon Audio Silver Dragon IEM cables. Now that I think about it, it's strange that these have the same name as yours...

Here's the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527035/hot-new-moon-audio-com-silver-dragon-iem-cable

It really makes me wonder the level of improvement one silver cable may have over the other, and if it's even worth it to go so far as to to drop $300 on one.

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #1,933 of 3,787
Yale, I would love to pick up one of those silver cables from Jaben.  Do they deliver to the USA?

The jury is still out for me whether or not a cable makes a difference, but the silver is more for aesthetic purposes.  

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #1,934 of 3,787
It sure seems to make a difference based on some of the impressions we got from well-known members.  And FYI silver is definitely not used just for aesthetic purposes. The reason is because of its high thermal conductivity.

The question is if a silver cable like the $300 TWag OM's is truly that much of an improvement over silver cables like the new Moon Audio silver cable or even the one Yale referenced that's apparently less than $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back