JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Sep 19, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #1,756 of 3,787
Quote:
Someone asked how they sound when you have perfect fit, you can read my opinion here: http://techpowerup.com/reviews/JH_AUDIO/JH16Pro/

Good review. It would be nice if your comparisons were to something a little more comparable than the Westone 3s - such as the ES5s. I also wonder how you then conclude

Quote:
 This über high end offering from Jerry Harvey Audio will undoubtedly serve as sound quality benchmark for a long time...
....So in order to get your hands on what is probably the best sounding in-ears around at the moment you have to be willing to dish out over $1200.

You might be right but I don't see the basis. Anyway a useful offering - with the best pictures of the drivers that I have seen yet. Well done.

Sep 19, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #1,757 of 3,787
Thanks cooperpwc for the feedback. I was a bit unclear last, what I wanted to say was that it would serve as a benchmark for the sites reviews in terms of sound quality in in-ears. But a completely valid point about the comparison. The best headphones I have heard are the HD800s and the HE-5LEs and to my ears the JH|16s are not far off on a lot of main points.

Thanks for your honest feedback!

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #1,758 of 3,787

[size=medium]
Hi head-fi!

Just wanted to ask this question since I'm planning to get an amp either from RSA or iBasso.

The question is, if my source is already powerful enough to drive my IEMs (JH16s) should I still amp it?

Would I notice any discernible difference from them versus my unamped set-up?

My potential amps are:

1. RSA Shadow
2. RSA Protector
3. iBasso D10
4. iBasso Toucan

and my set-up is:

COWON J3 + JH 16 Pro

ANY help would be appreciated!

Thank you all so much!

[/size]

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #1,761 of 3,787
How does the TWag cable change the sound, soundstage, resolution etc of the 16s? I'm interested, but am not sure about paying so much for a piece of wire!  Anyone know where I can try one in the UK? (Or anyone with one in London willing to let me have a go?) 
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #1,762 of 3,787

Quote:
How does the TWag cable change the sound, soundstage, resolution etc of the 16s? I'm interested, but am not sure about paying so much for a piece of wire!  Anyone know where I can try one in the UK? (Or anyone with one in London willing to let me have a go?) 
biggrin.gif

Well I can't say how much was the cable and how much was the amp since I went from a conventional cable to a balanced cable.
I will say the difference is the bass is better controlled, and every thing is cleaner & better defined.
Before the switch I thought the bass was a bit overdone and sort of muddied up the midrange.

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #1,763 of 3,787
Thanks Todd. We'll see if some nice person offers me a TWag to try :)

Quick question about 'Helix-lock's. My 16s came back today, and I have to say the fit is much better externally and internally, but one thing I noticed is that if I touch the top of the IEMs and gently pull out there is no sense of them being held in place. They come out at the top very easily. It isn't a problem as such as the fit inside is good, and no matter how much I shake my head they don't come out. Just wondering really.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #1,766 of 3,787
That is very generous of you :) Whereabouts are you, London?

I haven't done any research into the protector, LOD etc, so not sure. I'm using either the iPhone 4, or more usually Cowon J3 as a source. Do they work with those?

Cheers!
James

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #1,768 of 3,787
So after 4 refits I got a perfect fit, but go figures they switched the jh16 for the jh13
basshead.gif
Jhaudio.. JHaudio..

So now I will be able to have an inside look in both customs and decide my self if I ask the rest of the money back and keep the jh13 or get the jh16 back.

My first impressions are that the jh16 has more lively,lower,impact bass. I notice that specially with techno, with the jh16 my head vibrated with the impact of the bass. The jh13 has great bass quantity too but the jh16 just seems to go lower and more vibration.

With other genres  the drums stands out more from the rest for their liveness  but distracts me from others instruments for how real they sound. Which can be good and bad, for the purists the jh13 is the one to get for sure, but for those who like more fun jh16 is the one.

EDiT:forgot to comment the sound this is the jh13 but since the difference is only on the bass... I'm not good with words but this what I can say, if you only have 1100-1200$  to spend in a system of amps/dac/transport just buy this things.. the detail is simply delightful and all those tinny vibrations are to die for, they are super fast and the soundstage is impressive for an iem, not an headphone sound-stage but you get more from the intimacy. To get this kind of sound you really need to go  the top headphones systems.

**** it.. Even if you have more money to spend t buy this.. You plug it to the mp3 player and its ready to go anywhere.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #1,769 of 3,787
can't agree more.I now own the JH13(got it 2 days ago hahahah) but I still want to purchase the JH16 or JH3A afterall.
I try to fix the bass quantifty and impact of the JH13 with Twag cable and ALORX amp.
That can make JH13 better in the Bass area,but it can't compare with the Bass of JH16,which I really love (actually I'm a bass head)
The only reason, why I havn't purchased the JH16 yet,is the JH3A.I will wait till I know how the JH3A performs compared to the JH16 alone.

Quote:
So after 4 refits I got a perfect fit, but go figures they switched the jh16 for the jh13
basshead.gif
Jhaudio.. JHaudio..

So now I will be able to have an inside look in both customs and decide my self if I ask the rest of the money back and keep the jh13 or get the jh16 back.

My first impressions are that the jh16 has more lively,lower,impact bass. I notice that specially with techno, with the jh16 my head vibrated with the impact of the bass. The jh13 has great bass quantity too but the jh16 just seems to go lower and more vibration.

With other genres  the drums stands out more from the rest for their liveness  but distracts me from others instruments for how real they sound. Which can be good and bad, for the purists the jh13 is the one to get for sure, but for those who like more fun jh16 is the one.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #1,770 of 3,787
i picked up my jh16(#3751) last night from the local dealer.  maybe too much hype?  or maybe i'm more of a headphone guy?  nice sounding ear piece but, the bass, isn't what i expected.  i know i got a good fit, they're not my first custom iem.  i'm not saying it lack bass, it just i want more....luckily i didn't choose 13....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back