JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jul 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #1,576 of 3,787

Quote:

There's a video on the Ultimate Ears site under Support->FAQ.  http://ultimateears.com/support/faq

thanks so much for this link....something that i think should go hand in hand with the sensaphonics sound test to make sure that everyone who receives them is inserting them properly and then also listening to a standardized test.  this may help to dispel any of the questions people have about whether or not they are doing anything correctly, potentially weeding out human error from actual poor fitment.

Jul 1, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #1,579 of 3,787
i have been waiting to make a post on my initial impressions of these things for quite some time.  i'm thrilled to finally have them and to have the opportunity to share my experience thus far with others on this site.

let's get some things straight:  Not much experience here with incredibly good headphones.  I had a pair of Technics back when I used to try spinning...you know the ones...full sized, sealed, chrome detail that looks like the 1200MkII decks??  they are OK...but as i learned more, started to reflect on their blatant flaws.  These were definitely club phones, to be used (and abused) in a club setting, with lots of ambient noise.

i moved on to the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, which I would have to say, in comparison to the Sennheiser HD280's, which a few friends have, seem to be a great phone for their price point.  Stronnnng bass, relatively recessed but smooth mids and nice, non-sibilant highs.

Anyway, onto the JH-16.  Let's break this down by category:

Fit:
I know now just how extremely important this is.  I have a great seal when not moving on both sides but feel as though my left earpiece is too long.  I notice this because of a few things:
When i move my jaw side to side it breaks the seal slightly while the other one stays perfectly seated.  There is no pain when inserted, just a heightened sensitivity that seems to hint towards pain.  When i looked at the wire and how it ran over my ears, i first thought that i just did not bend them the same but it seems apparent now that the wire coming from the left earpiece flares a little further from my head.  it looks as though it is doing this because it is not seated as deeply as the right side.  When pushing on the front edge in my attempt to seat the earpiece further, it gets pretty painful.  On the right side, after having worn them for about an hour, I am already starting to feel as though the IEM is disappearing (I just have to keep from tugging the wire, lol).  The left side, however, feels a bit uncomfortable.

I tried the Sensaphonics audio test and it seemed that everything was ok on the seal, but like i said, this was only when nothing moved.  I cannot tell how much this is detracting from the listening experience because when i am very stationary the music sounds to be about the same volume on both sides.

As far as overall comfort, these things are awesome!  Like little gems stuffed in my head.  I always had comfort issues after about an hour when wearing full sized phones because my head is very pointy at the top (no jokes) and it would form a pressure point on most headphone padding.  I also have very large ears (again...) and they would be sore after about an hour to the point that i would want to remove the phones and rub them.

Lows:
I thought the M50's hit low....these things have unbelievable low end extension that reminds me of big old car audio subwoofers.  it is ironic...i absolutely love the depth and quantity of bass but it makes me really crave the visceral bass that only a big speaker can produce.  I have actually considered getting a line splitter and running a low frequency signal to a sound transducer built onto my office chair...probably the best of both worlds IMO...something like an I-Beam or whatnot.

I see now what people mean when they are discussing the texture to bass.  It is amazing how quick these things react, and it allows the bass to stay very controlled.  I am hearing space between notes that I did not know existed.  It is an awesome feeling to really hear every piece that an artist puts into music, especially electronic music IMO.  With live stuff, I have a sense of what instruments are supposed to sound like and what to expect from real life experience, but with house and dnb and dubstep, etc., the sky is the limit as far as strange, "pretend" sounds are concerned.  I have found myself confused by the way in which certain artists could produce the general sound that they presented, but now that everything is so clear I can see all the pieces.  I would even suggest that IEMs of this level would be great teachers to up and coming electronica producers, giving them a chance to really understand on a basic level how artists layer their music.

Mids:
At first the JH-16s seemed as though they had a very forward sounding presentation with emphasis on the mids.  I realize now that I had been listening to a phone that was dominated by the bass portion of the spectrum and it was a bit dipped in the mids.  This gave the M50's a great sense of space, but ironically the 16's have tons more space and the separation of instruments is still all there and well positioned, albeit having a balanced frequency response.

Highs:
The 16's have wonderful highs.  At first I thought they were a bit too bright but as with the mids i realize that i have become accustomed to a signature that is not faithful to the entire frequency spectrum.  These are not sibilant in the least bit (as long as the recording is not) and I find that the highs, albeit much more present than in my prior experience, are very pleasant and add to the amazing realism these phones deliver.  

Hearing an artist's lips and mouth make funny sticky mouth sounds when they speak or sing may seem silly to someone who doesn't get into this stuff but i am assuming you all know what i mean....those little cues are what differentiate a decent system from an absolutely astounding listening experience.  The JH-16 highs really amplify the connection I have with the artists for this reason, in that i feel like i am watching them closely.  I think of music as time travel...if i have a system that is revealing enough to convince my mind that i am there then for all intensive musical purposes, i really am.  I choose to be in the studio with Carlos Santana during his first recording of Europa...or on stage with Garth Brooks in front of a hundred thousand people...these phones really help amplify my ability to do that in my mind.  the less convincing it takes the more i can let my thoughts go and just fall into that place that i want to be. 

---------------------------

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.  The artwork could have come out a bit better but honestly I am not concerned.  The pattern is sweet nonetheless.  I figure if I am going to send them back (no!) for the left fit issue I may ask them to polish up a couple specific spots that look a little bit less than par.  They are completely smooth and shiny all over, though, and the wires seat completely to the base of their insertion spots.

One other thing....which i think may have more to do with the iBasso D10 when it is in charging/listening mode.....every 5 or 10 minutes i would hear a brief, quarter second or so airy hiss, much like when the unit is turned off (for those who have experience)  only in the left earpiece.  I dont notice any other issues with this earpiece as far as proper functionality, so i dont think this is a driver issue.

I hope you could gather some useful information from my post!  feel free to ask questions or elaborate on this post.  Cheers!

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #1,580 of 3,787
Hey freeride1685,

I think i have the same fit issue with you. my left one fits perfectly. my right one fits perfectly when i dont move, but when i move my jaw (chew, talk, run) sometimes it breaks the seal. My left one kept perfect fit even if i move my jaw

At first, i thought that the canal tip on the right IEM went in a lil too far in my ear canal and if i tapped my right IEM while it was in my ear, i could feel it against my ear canal deep inside. After 3 days of listening i found that the right side was not as tight as the left one, and that could be why i felt discomfort in my ear canal.

I think i might need a few more layers on my right piece to get a tighter seal.
Quote:

Fit:
I know now just how extremely important this is.  I have a great seal when not moving on both sides but feel as though my left earpiece is too long.  I notice this because of a few things:
When i move my jaw side to side it breaks the seal slightly while the other one stays perfectly seated.  There is no pain when inserted, just a heightened sensitivity that seems to hint towards pain.  When i looked at the wire and how it ran over my ears, i first thought that i just did not bend them the same but it seems apparent now that the wire coming from the left earpiece flares a little further from my head.  it looks as though it is doing this because it is not seated as deeply as the right side.  When pushing on the front edge in my attempt to seat the earpiece further, it gets pretty painful.  On the right side, after having worn them for about an hour, I am already starting to feel as though the IEM is disappearing (I just have to keep from tugging the wire, lol).  The left side, however, feels a bit uncomfortable.

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #1,581 of 3,787
Well, I'm still planning on writing a more detailed review of my 16s, but I just got my balanced TWag in today and I had to put down some of my initial raves.  This is my first experience with high-end cables and balanced (at least partially-balanced) headphones, and I must say I'm floored.

The level of clarity was pretty good with the stock cable inserted into the Protector single-ended with a LOD and my iPod Touch, but I sometimes felt that it was only a marginal improvement over my Westone 3 + UM56 tip combo.  Now, the clarity is stunning.  It's as if the last bit of background noise was removed, and even more veils have been lifted off the sound.  Even with only high-VBR mp3s, the level of detail is more than sufficient for me. 

The soundstage and imaging is also euphoric.  The sound now seems to be fully enveloping my head and ears, and I can place sounds much more precisely than before.  The bass is robust with a tangible sense of weight about it, especially on certain house tracks, but it never seems overwhelming.  It actually seems to reflect what's in the recording pretty well, to my ears, since certain house tracks that appear to have been mastered light on the bass leave me wanting a little more visceral impact.  House fans should check out how the 16s+balanced TWag and Protector sound with Richard Grey's remix of Daft Punk's classic "One More Time," and tell me if it isn't a completely mesmerizing, intoxicating experience.

I have yet to burn in my TWag, and maybe there is some degree of placebo effect going on.  I do want to have a friend give me a blind A/B test with the TWag and stock cables, just to see if I can tell the difference.  But I have a feeling that what I'm experiencing isn't just placebo, especially since I had 4 weeks with the stock cable and got pretty familiar with its sound.  The improvements that this cable and the balanced Protector give the 16s seem immense, and now I'm finally starting to feel the full power and potential of the 16s.

I just had to put my thoughts down, since I'm experiencing the high, the re-discovery of music that I first felt when I got my Westone 3 and UM56 tips.  Only now the level of closeness I feel to the music has stepped up dramatically!

I still plan to send my 16s back for some fit adjustments, but oddly enough the TWag cables seem to at least extend the time in which my 16s fit properly in my ears.  My left earpiece, which is the most likely to pop out when I turn my head or walk around, seems to actually stay in place longer with the TWag.  Maybe it's because the memory wire seems to require that you insert the pieces a bit deeper?  They will still eventually unseal, but I thought this was an interesting (and unexpected) benefit of the TWag.

Just one more testimonial for the synergy between the 16s, balanced TWag and Protector!

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #1,582 of 3,787
great review...and to xplict...i am sure they know what to do when it comes to the close but not quite seal that we are experiencing...i wonder now if they would add more layers to everything or if they would simply cut down the length of the sound tube.  i am sure they have lots of experience at this and as long as you explain it very well there should be no confusion.

the right earpiece pops in and pops out with no problems and becomes rather invisible over time.  the left is constantly there, and i see now how this can detract from the music, especially with such invasive headphones as IEMs.  I will be sending them back on monday to see what they can do about it, and have marked the portions that were bothering me with sharpie, as suggested by Adam.

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #1,583 of 3,787
HI,

I have been a long time lurker and reader of this JH16 thread. I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to post and share your feelings. I think JH should give you all commission on my the order I will place next week for my headphones.

I need to ask for more help, this time on choosing my color and art work. I want Black Eyed Blue translucent. I was thinking of solid Deadwood backs with my profile picture as the art work.

Here are my questions:

Are the backs large enough for the art to be recognizable?

Is solid Deadwood the best background for this artwork?

Does the image have to much detail to be able to turn out ?

Thank you very much for your help

[size=x-small]Brad[/size]

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #1,587 of 3,787

Quote:
HI,

I have been a long time lurker and reader of this JH16 thread. I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to post and share your feelings. I think JH should give you all commission on my the order I will place next week for my headphones.

I need to ask for more help, this time on choosing my color and art work. I want Black Eyed Blue translucent. I was thinking of solid Deadwood backs with my profile picture as the art work.

Here are my questions:

Are the backs large enough for the art to be recognizable?

Is solid Deadwood the best background for this artwork?

Does the image have to much detail to be able to turn out ?

Thank you very much for your help

[size=x-small]Brad[/size]

Long time lurker? You signed up 5 years ago! Your first post in the last 24 hours is epic. The reason is that most people who swear they are 'long time lurkers' started reading just weeks or months before their first post. You my friend are amazing.

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #1,589 of 3,787
Redheads......... are very fiery by nature  (in my experience!)

Brad - there is a lot of detail there and you have to remember how small it actually will be, but as long as the original scan is good enough dpi then you should be good and Zac should be able to do something with it.

Unfortunately i had a complex detailed piece of art ti in the form of a devil's head (might of seen whilst you where lurking!) turns out Zac accidentally had the wrong dpi scan and used a 96 dpi version  only, so it finally goes back next week to be redone a bit bigger and  in 300dpi setting and will see how it comes out. 

Good luck Brad,: remember to post here when you get them if all okay, be interesting to see the finished article.

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #1,590 of 3,787
FortisFlyer,

I think that might be a problem as the best dpi I can find is 96. I e-mailed Zac an example last week to get his thoughts and I am waiting for his reply. I will ask for a mach up before final production.

Could you please post another picture of your JH's?

Thank you for your response. I have my molds done and I will place my order on Monday and ship on Tuesday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back