JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jul 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #1,591 of 3,787

Quote:
FortisFlyer,

I think that might be a problem as the best dpi I can find is 96. I e-mailed Zac an example last week to get his thoughts and I am waiting for his reply. I will ask for a mach up before final production.

Could you please post another picture of your JH's?

Thank you for your response. I have my molds done and I will place my order on Monday and ship on Tuesday

Have put the link for the post where i posted my art on my 16's as not to repeat it here.
You will see my actual pics of the devil face and the JHA flying lady logo and then the mock up included.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/479434/jh-audio-jh16-pro-first-impressions/1140#post_6678813

My devil was because i unwittingly  sent my dealer a 96dpi version i had in an email even though i had sent zac a 300 dpi one a month before for the mock up and i think my dealer when he forwarded his email comms from me to Zac in turn used the 96dpi from that email, so bit of a mix up with files and did not realise i had sent my dealer a 96dpi which would be sent on which  Zac would use instead, so not his fault really. My devil art is from a 7" single cover which i scanned.

I resent Zac the 300dpi and even a 600dpi but Zac said not to worry as he already had done something with the current one and somehow got it upto 300dpi from 96dpi, can't quite see how that can happen getting a 300dpi from a 96dpi source? but he said not to worry and knew what to do to make it right. So the devil is going to be a bit bigger and and more like the mock up hopefully.

The pic i took remember is in macro mode so looks worse than to the naked eye from a distance, but if there is more detail (higher dpi) then it will stand out better something that small and Zac  has confirmed it can be bigger so hopefully will benefit from that also.

My other issue was that Zac mentioned he did not realise that my ear was smaller than most 
(surprise considering i have such a big head!) and made it that much harder for the artwork and if he had know in hindsight when he had done the mock up would of used more caution to what he could and could not do before he done the mock up.

But he said not to worry as he is going to sort it out, so as long as he uses the 300dpi or the end product with whatever he has done to correct it is a more smoother and detailed bigger devil i will not be moaning! lol

Where did you get redhead artwork from? when you say the best is 96dpi is that sourced from the web and is the best quality you can find?
   or is it an actual picture you have scanned from something you have like my record cover for the devil?

Just got back from a vacation so will be sending mine back tomorrow for the artwork re-work and a refit. two birds with one stone hopefully.....

The waiting is going to kill me with out my 16's, only got a pair of fx500's at the moment to fall back on!  oh, it's gonna hurt 
frown.gif

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #1,593 of 3,787
FortisFlyer,

I think it is great that JH would even offer to put a clients art work on their headphones. But with all due respect I do not see how they thought the  finished product they sent you would be acceptable. Especially after how good your mach up turned out.

The art work is of Dawn from a comic book called Cry For Dawn, by Joseph Linsner. I almost thought of sending the comic itself but it is a bit on the rare side. So I looked thorough my collection and I was able to find a trading card of the image that I have few of and  I send that with my impressions and order.

Will you be charged for the art work change/fix?

If your 16's did not also need to go back for a re-fit could you live with the artwork?

I wonder if JH could send you a picture of the finished product before shipping them back to you

Cooperpwc

Thank you I figured there was a way to calculate that. I just had no idea how

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #1,594 of 3,787
Here is the cheat: In Photoshop select "Resize Image", change DPI from 96 to 300, then re-enter the original pixel dimensions. It then tells you the new image size in cm or inches.

(Edit: of course you can also just take the pixel dimensions, 768 * 496, and divide each by 300. It gives the same result.)

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #1,596 of 3,787
you cannot change the colour of the shell or the artwork once it is done.It is a new rule that JH audio announced about a week ago.even if you pay money,you can't.

Now,if you go 4-5 pages ago you will see the crappy artwork on my jh13 and if you go another 3-4 pages you will see the mock up which is night and day difference.

I was very displeased by the artwork and the shell colour to the point that I couldn't have lived with jh13 in that form even if it sounded sublime.

Luckily I asked jaime to change the colour of the two pieces and remove the artworks and I will pay $100 and she agreed(that was before the 'No colour change' Rule).
I asked for plain black eye blue transparent.

Honestly I don't think artwork is necessary because in person the iems are very small and artwork is not a necessity.I think seeing the wires and drivers inside is much more sophisticated and nicer that's why I changed it to black eye blue trans.

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #1,597 of 3,787

Quote:
you cannot change the colour of the shell or the artwork once it is done.It is a new rule that JH audio announced about a week ago.even if you pay money,you can't.

Now,if you go 4-5 pages ago you will see the crappy artwork on my jh13 and if you go another 3-4 pages you will see the mock up which is night and day difference.

I was very displeased by the artwork and the shell colour to the point that I couldn't have lived with jh13 in that form even if it sounded sublime.

Luckily I asked jaime to change the colour of the two pieces and remove the artworks and I will pay $100 and she agreed(that was before the 'No colour change' Rule).
I asked for plain black eye blue transparent.

Honestly I don't think artwork is necessary because in person the iems are very small and artwork is not a necessity.I think seeing the wires and drivers inside is much more sophisticated and nicer that's why I changed it to black eye blue trans.

Bingo!

When I got my impressions I asked the dealer about the artwork.  She had the wings from JHAudio and explained to me a bit about it.  The expectations on the level of detail and resolution of the artwork in this thread is unreasonable.  My quick advice for lurkers and people on the fence about it is don't do it.  Just pick your colors and be done with it.  They are IEMs, its how they sounds, not what they look like that counts (UNLESS you listen to a lot of David Lee Roth).

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #1,598 of 3,787
Glad to be back on topic again =) I've been around the JH-Audio threads and the artwork does not look stellar at all.  Trogdor I will definitely take your advice and definitely skip the artwork.

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #1,599 of 3,787
Well I placed my order today (order number 1795) for a pair of 16's in  transparent Black Eye Blue. After reading more here and looking at the JH Audio Facebook page I decided not to go with artwork. I did request for JH 16 Pro to be printed going down one side and Hear No Evil coming back up the other side in Titanium on both of the face plate. UPS is not running here in the states today so my impressions will go out tomorrow (2nd day) and should be to Florida by Thursday. The wait begins.

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #1,600 of 3,787
Mine arrived on Friday!

Haven't had much of a chance to give them a good listen yet (just 10 minutes a day here and there), but I will make a couple of comments about the fit and artwork.

On the fit front, the fit with my left ear is absolutely perfect. Couldn't be better. As for the right ear, I'm not totally convinced that it is as good as I want. I noticed that when walking with them in for the first time that I could hear the right one moving around, as it was making a sort of rubbing noise (which was very distracting). I resigned myself to the fact that I might have to send them back for an adjustment, but the second time I tried walking with them, I played around with the fit on the right ear a bit, and the rubbing noise seemed to disappear. So I need to give it a few more goes before I can conclusively say I'll need a refit, but I'm (obviously) hoping not. Then again, at this price point, I don't want to be messing around with the fit of the right ear constantly.

Secondly, when I originally received them I wasn't totally satisfied with the job they did on the artwork. But I have to admit that over the last few days the job they did has grown on me, to the point that I'm actually quite pleased with it.

Here they are!

Here's the image I sent in:

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #1,601 of 3,787
Are the JH16Pros "microphonic?"
Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallan 

...Rubbing my fingers next to it I can't hear the fingers and the seal is fine, music is fine and fit is not painful nor really uncomfortable so really i think i am okay....

Quote:
nbkz said:

Is this true for everyone? Especially with dallan?
basshead.gif

Edit:
My set of JH16Pros is being kind of microphonic, almost like RE0 cables when I run my fingers on the IEMs

Quote:
Oomingmak said:

I get no microphonics at all, are you wearing the IEM wire behind the ear? The cord that the JH13/ 16 comes with is too light to create microphonics. ...

Hi! Thanks for the reply Oomingmak. Yea, the cables are very light, and it's such bliss using them compared to my previous headphones -- all microphonic like the RE0's or the Senn.CX-300's. Actually, let me clarify (as edited on the quotes), I was wondering if the JH16 make any noise if you touch them during use as dallan mentioned. It's not a problem for me at all, but just curious. Conversely, I hear the faintest touch; Though I did request for a "slim profile" during checkout (Can't really tell if they did slim it down or not, but it is working rather well during night. Shuts off all the noise, leaving only the tunes. I wake up, and they're still on!).

Artwork? Or No Artwork?
Quotes:
Quote:
midoo1990 said:

Quote:
Trogdor said:

...My quick advice for lurkers and people on the fence about it is don't do it.  Just pick your colors and be done with it....

Quote:
Poetik said:

...Trogdor I will definitely take your advice and definitely skip the artwork.

Quote:
082288 said:

Well I placed my order today (order number 1795) for a pair of 16's in  transparent Black Eye Blue. After reading more here and looking at the JH Audio Facebook page I decided not to go with artwork. I did request for JH 16 Pro to be printed going down one side and Hear No Evil coming back up the other side in Titanium on both of the face plate. UPS is not running here in the states today so my impressions will go out tomorrow (2nd day) and should be to Florida by Thursday. The wait begins.

I'm a big newbie yakking here, but if asked I would say:
Very true! I cannot agree more with you guys. 082288, from what I see, your avatar is already bigger than the IEMs itself. So I'm glad you decided to go without! :) For those still phasing in and out of the dilemma: As midoo1990 mentioned, just having a clean shell color and maybe small text on the bottom gives the IEMs a simple yet very sophisticated look. It's best to keep the artwork to a minimal, perhaps like an icon, emblem or band logo?

Let me show you how mine turned out (Pics in Spoilers):
This is how it looks in natural light. A little from the distance in a somewhat dim room.

Here is a close up shot. Notice the jaggy/pixel-ated edges.

The Mock Up from JH Audio. Oh, if only... A dream of dreams:

Fit Issues for me?
(Lots of yada-yada...)
     Been about a week since receiving the JH16Pros now, and I have made lots of effort to use it everywhere and anywhere I go. There is a bit of a learning curve to them (not that I'm an expert yet), but initially I was very lost! Do I have a good fit? Is the seal okay? Do I need to send them back for a re-fit? I finally decided that if I use them long enough, and I notice a sudden jump in sound quality, then something is wrong.
     Hot off the box, they sounded great already (Was using low-end equipment i.e. Senn.CX300 or RE0's). I run the Sensaphonic Seal Test that some fellow head-fi'ers mentioned. From the test, it instantly passed (noob judge) compared to the other two earphones. The 50 Hz pitch was so much more audible! But later on, I noticed that it can sound much much better! This is when I went crazy trying to find out how to consistently get that level of quality. I re-read the owner's manual, checked that UE FAQ video that was posted here and flipped through the thread skimming for clues. It got quite frustrating from here as I started hitting a lot of obstacles. Turned out the left stock cable's connector had a bit of a rough point that made it painful to wear at certain positions. Thus the electric tape for extra padding if you were wondering from the earlier pictures. Great! So now I can tuck them in deeper without worrying about that 'splinter'. (Can't wait until I switch to TWag cables.) I think warp08 mentioned that he just puts in the bottom part first, do that half twist as you insert and they're suppose to just pop in place for a perfect fit. I tried to do that, just insert and twist, then push the upper part in a little for a snug fit. Did not work for me. I run that Seal Test again, and the 50Hz pitch did not sound fantastic. I have to drop my jaw just slightly, and the sound quality clears up by a fair amount. It's like the different between, "Ohh, Okay. Sounds pretty good." to "Oh whoa~!! Too un-real to be true!" Hehe, maybe I'm exaggerating, but it makes the music so much more entertaining! Songs that I once thought boring is now a different animal! It's so weird how a few millimeter's difference can sound worlds apart! I suppose the bores are a tad too close to the eardrums for my case? Usually from here, it takes around 2-3 min. of fiddling around -- stretching the earlobes, pushing it at this or that angle, rotating it a bit. But at the end of that 2-3 min. I get my audio nirvana without needing to open my mouth as if I were using a bite-block! It's very nerve-wrecking at this point. Because if I fear that even a slight smile would ruin everything!
(Cut to the point:)
      So here's a questions for all you veterans: Are we all statues when using the IEMs? Or can we actually move around, eat and live while still maintaining that perfect fit? If you can, I'll have to bother the good folks at JH Audio for a re-fit. I just need to find out how to explain the problem to them... Add a few layers for a tighter fit, and shorten the bore length a teeny bit?

Thanks for your time!

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #1,602 of 3,787

Quote:
      So here's a questions for all you veterans: Are we all statues when using the IEMs? Or can we actually move around, eat and live while still maintaining that perfect fit? If you can, I'll have to bother the good folks at JH Audio for a re-fit. I just need to find out how to explain the problem to them... Add a few layers for a tighter fit, and shorten the bore length a teeny bit?

Thanks for your time!

Explainan and describe much as you can the experience to JHA how they feel and what is happening with the fit in your mind  and then let JHA from your description decide what needs to be chopped off or layeedr if needed. ; )

I wrote a 3 page epic to Adam which is going bore him to death but wanted to be thorough rather than cryptic for Adam so maybe over elaborated but rather that if it means it only has one refit (fingers crossed, looking to the skies)

Like the way you done the spoiler drag down boxes, not sure how you done it but would be good feature to have on here for when scrolling through posts.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #1,605 of 3,787
the problem with the artworks is that they seem printed when you hold it in your hand and not lazered or engraved.IMHO all new artworks are bad, even mine which is rather shody.there must be something with the darn printing machine..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back