JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jun 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #1,516 of 3,787

Quote:
The combo is killer!  What surprised me was the 801.  It is totally incredible.  If I had to re choose between them and the JH13, knowing what I know now, I would choose the 801.  Still love the 13s but I had high expectations for the 13s and my ability to use them more often and comfort level. The 801 i had mid range expectations and it is amazing.  My deal with the 13s is a love/hate thing in that sometimes the fit annoys me and other times I can live with it, like today I loved using the combo set up at the beach where I was just sitting watching waves and reading.  Very nice to have good SQ out in the real world, you can really appreciate it out there.
etysmile.gif
  (as long as I am stationary of course)

Still debating about the JHA/16 combo.......the fit thing has me worried though.  My left side won't twist in but has a nicer seal and not a vacuum seal.  My right side twists in but then makes a vacuum that can be disturbing.  Both totally seal but if one breaks after the first ten minutes it tends to be the vacuum one on the right.  That happens while walking, which is so noisy from the footfalls that I would rather use earbuds even.  The left on the other hand kinda feels wrong and bulky/chunky to me.  Don't know what to think but i can relate to the guy who sent them back so many times for refitting.  If i was a bit more ocd
redface.gif
 I could see sending them back and forth a lot to get them perfect, at this point they are just barely out side of the pain in the butt range to keep dealing with sending them and losing the seal that i at least have at this point.  If anyone has ideas, esp with the footfall thing, I am all ears so to speak.

That is my worry about the next combo, it's alot of cash to be uncomfortable and not using it often.  If someone asked me at this point I would actually advise caution or against the JHA/16 combo just for the comfort level of custom in ears and the inability to be there actually doing the thing with them for that high cost to get it right. 

May be an unpopular stance though.

Between the HM801 (a known quantity) and a set of apparently poorly-fitted JHEars, I'd probably also choose the HM801.
wink_face.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #1,517 of 3,787
That's the problem, I don't know if they are poor fitting or if i am just not really used to it.  The SQ is awesome, and the seal is perfect, so maybe it is just getting used to it.  But got your point.

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #1,518 of 3,787

Quote:
That's the problem, I don't know if they are poor fitting or if i am just not really used to it.  The SQ is awesome, and the seal is perfect, so maybe it is just getting used to it.  But got your point.

The perfect fit causes no discomfort and feels completely natural, as if the earpieces are simply nonexistent or simply extensions of your ears. If you are consciously wondering about the fit of a particular side against the other because the sides are at odds in terms of how they fit inside your ears, you have a fit issue. The fact that you're unsure and that you've mentioned it in this detail makes me believe that the fit is detracting from your overall listening pleasure, which is obviously indicative of a less-than-perfect fit.

Both left and right should feel (relatively) the same in each of your ears.

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #1,520 of 3,787

Quote:
The perfect fit causes no discomfort and feels completely natural, as if the earpieces are simply nonexistent or simply extensions of your ears. If you are consciously wondering about the fit of a particular side against the other because the sides are at odds in terms of how they fit inside your ears, you have a fit issue. The fact that you're unsure and that you've mentioned it in this detail makes me believe that the fit is detracting from your overall listening pleasure, which is obviously indicative of a less-than-perfect fit.

Both left and right should feel (relatively) the same in each of your ears.

So when the fit is right it just feels natural and you kinda don't feel them in the ear besides the sound isolation ?

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #1,521 of 3,787
Hi fellow head-fiers!

Just wanna let you guys know i just received my JH ears xD
Here are some photos:

JH16 pro:

JH16 pro along with my JH13 pro:

For the people who are waiting.. my order number was #1579. Ordered 3rd May. Earmolds received 24th May. Shipped 22nd June.

Fit:
The fit is quite good, need to wear them longer for my ears to get used to it. The right ear canal tip might be a tad bit long (very very small imperfection), but i'll use them for a few days first and then see if i need a refit.

Sound:
I came from using the shure se530's for about 3 yrs now. I thought they sounded pretty good. I knew the bass for the shures rolled of at the low extremes, but i didnt think the extreme highs were rolled off as much as everyone said.

That is... UNTILL NOW!
I tried the 13s first (didn't want the 16s to distort my initial perception of bass quantity). Plugged into my ipod 4G --> LOD --> p51 Mustang. Played "The eagles - Hotel California" from Hell Freezes Over" in apple lossless.

Lets just say.. the JH13s exceeded my expectations (and my expectations were pretty high). They sounded great straight out of the box with no burn-in time. I was really suprised. The most noticable differences compared to the se530 is the highs on the 13s extended further, and the sound overall was ALOT fuller. Before hearing JH, i thought that the se530s had a really wide soundstage, and i was able to picture different instruments at different locations in my mind. When listening to the JH13, the sound opens up, and my imressions of the se530 changed. The se530 sounds like it separates the instruments in the background, then layers them. It sounds as though there is a dividing space between those instruments. The JH13 in comparison, opens up those spaces and brings all those instruments together like listening to a band, making the music sound fuller and more musical.

I then switched to the 16s and listened to the same song. My initial impressions were "wow.. there isn't that much more bass than the JH13s" I thought that the two extra drivers dedicated to bass would make a big bass jump. It wasn't "big" but "noticable". The sound sig of both the earpieces as i can tell are VERY similar, except for the small bass bump. I have only listened to both of them for one or two hours, but from that time, i found that i prefer the JH13s for classical and Jazz, and the JH16 for every other genre (rock, rnb, pop, hip hop, trance). When listening to classical or jazz, the well recorded songs will be very accurate on it's bass notes, and i find that using the 16s make the bassy-instruments sound a tad bit unnatural. The JH16 is a very fun sounding IEM. I feel it brings the music to life (especially normally recorded albums----> alot of the mainstream music).

Anyways, those are my brief initial impressions for both the 13s and 16s. They will probably change as i burn them in longer. I just know that i can't go back to my se530s. These JH ears are tripping me out!

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #1,522 of 3,787
Thanks for your impressions, by the way they are quite a smart looking Double Act Fella.
Looking forward to your thoughts on them after you get more used to thier sound. Congrats though, man im droolin...............

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #1,524 of 3,787
I gotta show this thread to my girlfriend - she won't think me so insane for spending £300 on some universals....

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #1,526 of 3,787

I would only be crazy if i went back to a pair of SE530's now!

And i really liked the look of the new SE535 with at long last a detachable cable!

Bennyboy, coming from a guy who loved his E500's and Se530's for a few years, sell the kids if oyu have any, the car, house and possibly girlfriend (if she objects that is!) and get the JH1xPros! 

Dallan, you are only crazy as the next guy who thinks he is sane! 
confused_face.gif

(which is probably someone that has got both 13 & 16's!) 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #1,528 of 3,787

Quote:
Hi fellow head-fiers!

Just wanna let you guys know i just received my JH ears xD
Here are some photos:

JH16 pro:

JH16 pro along with my JH13 pro:

Sound:
I came from using the shure se530's for about 3 yrs now. I thought they sounded pretty good. I knew the bass for the shures rolled of at the low extremes, but i didnt think the extreme highs were rolled off as much as everyone said.

That is... UNTILL NOW!

Nice read of your initial impressions on your new 13 & 16's.
Eagles Out of Eden cd is also a good one through my 16's.

I wish i had the $$ to of got both the 13 & 16's at the time as i fell in love with both of their sig's when i demoed them and it was a very hard choice, but had to make one at the end of the day.

I also came from a love affair with the SE530's which i loved the sound of despite all the cable issues i had with them, and yes, going to the JHpros, for me to have a second pair of monitors now would have to be a pair of JHpros again! 
So you done the right thing, best of both worlds.

I still love the sound of the 16's with genres like classical or acoustic, there are certain tracks it can just be overcooked on some notes maybe, but not enough to disrupt my enjoyment of listening to my 16's with those genres that arguably are more suited maybe to the 13's between the two.

I may be wrong, but even with those genres that like neutrality like classical or acoustic, vocal for example the 16 only would still go that much deeper, lower only if it was in the recording in the first place i would of thought.

Well XC, they have done a a great job with your art, like the fact you get two bites at the cherry with having artistic license: )

Not sure what the motif is on the 16's?  but looks as if it is raised above the background colour making it look like it is floating which is cool and the simplicity of the JH I 16 Pro & JH Audio on each ear and their positioning is just right.

I did that with my 16's, my fav art on one ear and just the simplistic JHA flying lady with JHAudio logo on the other ear.

They have done a good job on both of your art works there.

What would i get on my future second pair i wonder! tough one that!
Good enough excuse to get another pair alone! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back