JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jun 25, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #1,531 of 3,787

Quote:
I have a feeling it looks like its raised... coming at ya type of thing ....cos of the shadowing applied. It seems to make it 3D.

The edge highlights and shadows are what do it for me.

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #1,533 of 3,787
Thanks FortisFlyer75!

Actually, i've been listening to the JH16s all day today and i'm enjoying them alot. My impressions have changed slightly and i'm starting to appreciate the 16s alot more.

Btw, i'm not as crazy as to spend $2.5k+ on two earphones that have such a similar sound signature. I won the 13s from FFF. Since i'm one of the few who do own both 13s and 16s, i feel that posting my impressions is the least i can do since not many have the chance (or nuts) to spend this much on both iems.

I figured I need more listening time to do proper impressions. In the mean time, here's a photo of my JH16s shot from a different angle, for those wondering about the "raising" effect. =]

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #1,535 of 3,787
Wow. It seems that they can do anything with custom art. Very impressive.

Please do let s know your thought on the 13s versus 16s as you spend more time with them. Are the 13s preferable at very low volumes (an impression that I have from some of what I have read on here)?

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #1,538 of 3,787
Hey Guys,

Well I finally received my JH Audio 16, that I ordered in April, last week and had a chance to listen to them already. First of: I'm not so impressed. Yes the bass is better and the sound is overall richer, but compared to the rather large improvement of using comply ear tips on my triple.fi 10 they don't sound 800 $ better...
Second (and maybe I just got bad eyes) I only have a dual bore despite them being advertised with a triple bore. Now I can live with that as long as I get an explanation as to why I only got a dual bore, but no word from JH Audio so far (which really does not surprise me, because they have barely answered to my E-Mails asking how much longer it will take). I will add some pictures later; maybe you guys can see the missing bore.
Also I'm not so happy how the custom artwork turned out. Considering what I have seen all around here and how simple mine was (Popeye on white IEMs) I'm utterly disappointed, but really don't want to send them back and go through all the trouble with long delivery times again.

Now after recommendations from this forum I already purchased an Hifiman HM-801, which has stirred up quite an argument over it's alleged superiority on sound quality recently. Well it doesn't sounds better then my iPod classic with either the Triple.Fi's nor with the JH 16 Pro's. In fact for some reason I feel like the sound of the iPod classic is more "soothing" and therefore more listenable.

Considering all this I feel like I've actually been ripped off roughly 2500 $ especially from all those overly exaggerating reviews around here...

Don't get me wrong: there is a marginal improvement, but in my eyes it wasn't worth spending 2500 $ on my entire update. I hope I'm not hurting anybodies feelings with saying this but I'm sure you all can understand my bitterness as well.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #1,539 of 3,787

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Well I finally received my JH Audio 16, that I ordered in April, last week and had a chance to listen to them already. First of: I'm not so impressed. Yes the bass is better and the sound is overall richer, but compared to the rather large improvement of using comply ear tips on my triple.fi 10 they don't sound 800 $ better...
Second (and maybe I just got bad eyes) I only have a dual bore despite them being advertised with a triple bore. Now I can live with that as long as I get an explanation as to why I only got a dual bore, but no word from JH Audio so far (which really does not surprise me, because they have barely answered to my E-Mails asking how much longer it will take). I will add some pictures later; maybe you guys can see the missing bore.
Also I'm not so happy how the custom artwork turned out. Considering what I have seen all around here and how simple mine was (Popeye on white IEMs) I'm utterly disappointed, but really don't want to send them back and go through all the trouble with long delivery times again.

Now after recommendations from this forum I already purchased an Hifiman HM-801, which has stirred up quite an argument over it's alleged superiority on sound quality recently. Well it doesn't sounds better then my iPod classic with either the Triple.Fi's nor with the JH 16 Pro's. In fact for some reason I feel like the sound of the iPod classic is more "soothing" and therefore more listenable.

Considering all this I feel like I've actually been ripped off roughly 2500 $ especially from all those overly exaggerating reviews around here...

Don't get me wrong: there is a marginal improvement, but in my eyes it wasn't worth spending 2500 $ on my entire update. I hope I'm not hurting anybodies feelings with saying this but I'm sure you all can understand my bitterness as well.

I feel your pain but I'm about to find out if the jh16 were worth it after getting a good fit and as for the Hifiman HM-801 I definably think that was a really bad move don't allways trust head-fi.

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #1,540 of 3,787
bump

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #1,541 of 3,787

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Welcome to Head-Fi! 

You learned your lesson early, feel lucky.

However, there are tons of experienced reviewers who do contribute very valuable insight/reviews on this site.  However, you have to find them and be critical at all times!  (hint:  if they have owned a lot of high-end equipment before and have a reference setup to compare against etc.).

WITH ALL OF THAT SAID:

I find it very hard to believe that your custom IEMs are only marginally better than the TripleFi's.  Note,  I have been listening to the TripleFis for several years and though it IS one of the best universal IEMs on the market (even by todays standards), IT HAS NEVER held a candle to custom IEMs.

(quick note, the TF10's have wonderful treble extension, not a lot of bass impact (bass is tight though), and are slightly recessed in the mids but do give a somewhat decent soundstage for universal IEMs compared to fullsize cans)

SO, what I think mostly likely is the issue is your fit.  With custom IEMs your fit is EVERYTHING. Without a tight seal or a properly made mold you might not be getting the same euphoria that others have experienced with the JH16/13s?

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #1,542 of 3,787
That Hifiman looks like one of the biggest scams out there, if you ask me.  I'd sell it pronto if I were you and get something tried and tested.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #1,543 of 3,787
If people spend $800 and are happy with a player, why is it a scam? Being a bit judgmental Benny? Check the HFMan thread, there are naysayers, but there are supporters who really love the machine. To them, it's not a scam, but money well spent.We both own the SM3s, which cost $400, no doubt we can find someone who will call them a scam, right? I think you are being way too harsh.

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #1,545 of 3,787
Ok I guess I have to update me previous post now that I have listened to it further. First i don't think i have a problem with the fit, because base response seems fine and it even seems to have like a vacuum suction when I try to get them out of my ear (seriously I have a really hard time getting them out of my left ear).
Second it really depends on the recording. I only have marginal increase in sound quality on most of my Metal Recordings, but that makes perfect sense. I just listened to "A Perfect Circle" though and the increase in sound quality was very obvious. I could here the lips opening when the singer started and base impact was huge and very low.
Again i don't feel like the increase justifies 800 $ more compared to the Triple.Fi's + Comply Eartips, but then again you also pay for an increase in comfort and perfect fit right out of the box, so I suppose the price is somewhat justified.

Now about the Hifiman HM-801. I remember the difference between my iPod touch first generation and my iPod classic that I own currently. That was a HUGE increase in sound quality which I did not hear with the Hifiman and the Triple.Fi's. In fact I had to decrease the mids on the custom equalizer to have the sounds more closely to the iPod. Now with the JH Audio 16 Pro's I keep the equalizer off and it seem to sound slightly better in the mids then the iPod. So actually i think the frequency response on the Hifiman HM-801 is flatter than the one on the iPod, considering that the JH Audio products are supposed to be more flatter in response then the UE products. It actually states on the product description of the Triple.Fi's that they are especially made for the iPod, so I believe they are tuned to the iPod whereas the JH Audio 16 Pro are just simply flat in comparison.
Again I could have probably gotten a PMP with a flatter frequency response for a lot less money.

Bottom line is: I think there is a lot of exaggeration going on in this forum and many people think higher price equals better sound quality. I for one have learned my lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back