JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
May 27, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #1,021 of 3,787

Quote:
I think they use the etching for more simple designs.  Mine, which have a simple "JH AUDIO" as the artwork, are etched.

I believe more complicated artwork uses printing to replicate what the customer wants.

That is correct, Zac has a template to prototype the graphic, but solid graphics require some kind of faceplate, which can be titanium or acrylic of various colors to give it the required contrast.  The faceplate is then inserted under the surface as the shell is formulated.  These JH13s are Trans Black with a solid black faceplate for the art. 

May 27, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #1,024 of 3,787

Quote:
I think they use the etching for more simple designs.  Mine, which have a simple "JH AUDIO" as the artwork, are etched.

I believe more complicated artwork uses printing to replicate what the customer wants.

That is correct. UE does the same thing as well for its complex designs. However JHA has managed to perfect the printing process that the exact colors have managed to be brought out. And for USD 50 ONLY. Who's complaining?Definitely not me!

UE quoted me 200 USD for my megaman artwork on my UE-18s initially. LOL.

warp08-can't believe I typed the same sentence as you without seeing your post further up. Great minds think alike LOL.

Art Change is for 50 USD. Shell change is for 100 USD.

May 27, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #1,025 of 3,787

Quote:

I hope you get yours soon!  The anticipation is very tough! 

With that being said, I just sent mine out today for a refit.  More waiting!!!  
redface.gif

Jajo, I know that feeling. You will suffer withdrawal issues haha.

I'm sending in mine to fix a tiny imperfection after can jam, wouldn't want my beautiful 16s to be stuck during that period. And no it's not the bores or the fit!
smile_phones.gif

May 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #1,027 of 3,787

Quote:
@super-fied i made the decision on the 13s. can u briefly explain the sound u get from pairing the 13s with the protector? it's either the pico slim or protector for me now.

Based on my personal experiences with my 13s and what I've mentioned before-you won't go wrong with either as the 13s can take the sonic characteristics of most amps really well.

The protector is no slouch with the 13s-nice expansion to the sound stage is one key thing you notice and it *somewhat* improves the dynamics of the 13s, but really nothing that memorable for me to take away from.
But I strongly favor the pico slim for the 13s. Just seemed really right with the right amount of intensity in the bass and a nice addition to the clarity of the music. 

I really really love the protector+16s combo though. Makes my music really pack a punch.

You are free to try my setup anyway, both protector and slim-all you need to do is to turn up for the shoot!

May 28, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #1,028 of 3,787
since, MANY of you have been kind enough to post your emails:

JH Audio
Order Number: 1548
Date Ordered: Monday 26 April, 2010
Your order has been updated to the following status:
New status: In the lab

w00-m.f'n-00t

May 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #1,030 of 3,787

Quote:
Based on my personal experiences with my 13s and what I've mentioned before-you won't go wrong with either as the 13s can take the sonic characteristics of most amps really well.

The protector is no slouch with the 13s-nice expansion to the sound stage is one key thing you notice and it *somewhat* improves the dynamics of the 13s, but really nothing that memorable for me to take away from.
But I strongly favor the pico slim for the 13s. Just seemed really right with the right amount of intensity in the bass and a nice addition to the clarity of the music. 

I really really love the protector+16s combo though. Makes my music really pack a punch.

You are free to try my setup anyway, both protector and slim-all you need to do is to turn up for the shoot!

Here is my unsolicited opinion on this.  The Protector Balanced with the JH16 Pros are awesome to my ears.  But when I replace the 16s with the 13s using the same exact setup, it sounds downright anemic.  The soundstage is fine, but almost all mids and lows are greatly reduced to the point where I have a hard time believing I'm listening to a high-end custom IEM.

On the other hand, substituting the Protector with my TTVJ Slim really brings the JH13s alive almost to the point as if I was listening to my JH16s.  Of course the TTVJ doesn't quite have the transparency and clarity of the Protector balanced setup, it is really close.

Mind you, both IEMs were ordered from the same earmolds within a month or so and both are TWagged.  Source:  RWA Super iMod with a TWag LOD using high-quality ALAC encoding.

Bottom line; if you choose the Protector, you should definitely go with the JH16s.  I have a Pico Slim and a HeadStage Arrow on order, so I cannot comment on those until I actually tested them, but I highly recommend the TTVJ if you want to go the JH13 route. Battery life is relatively average, when compared to the Protector, but the sound signature is amazing.

May 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #1,031 of 3,787
The JH13's out of the Protector for me doesn't sound anemic at all. It is nearly perfectly balanced to my ears. When the song calls for bass the JH13 Pro's has it in bucket loads. When the song doesn't call for bass the JH13 Pro's won't add what's not there. Also, it's easily possible for someone to think a neutral sound signature ( JH13 Pro ) is anemic when they are so used to a more bass oriented sound. Go listen to bassy headphone and then come back to your reference grade neutral headphone, you'll think they're anemic. Until you listen to them for awhile and begin to appreciate the fact that they're not adding or subtracting anything to/from the music.

Or it could just well on be because I have the HiFiMAN has a source which has a more heavier, detailed and more natural sound than a iMod.

May 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #1,032 of 3,787

Quote:
Here is my unsolicited opinion on this.  The Protector Balanced with the JH16 Pros are awesome to my ears.  But when I replace the 16s with the 13s using the same exact setup, it sounds downright anemic.  The soundstage is fine, but almost all mids and lows are greatly reduced to the point where I have a hard time believing I'm listening to a high-end custom IEM.

On the other hand, substituting the Protector with my TTVJ Slim really brings the JH13s alive almost to the point as if I was listening to my JH16s.  Of course the TTVJ doesn't quite have the transparency and clarity of the Protector balanced setup, it is really close.

Mind you, both IEMs were ordered from the same earmolds within a month or so and both are TWagged.  Source:  RWA Super iMod with a TWag LOD using high-quality ALAC encoding.

Bottom line; if you choose the Protector, you should definitely go with the JH16s.  I have a Pico Slim and a HeadStage Arrow on order, so I cannot comment on those until I actually tested them, but I highly recommend the TTVJ if you want to go the JH13 route. Battery life is relatively average, when compared to the Protector, but the sound signature is amazing.

I strongly agree with this. The TTVJ slim pairs VERY well with the 13s. Fantastic boost to the mids of the 13s.

May 28, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #1,033 of 3,787

Quote:
The JH13's out of the Protector for me doesn't sound anemic at all. It is nearly perfectly balanced to my ears. When the song calls for bass the JH13 Pro's has it in bucket loads. When the song doesn't call for bass the JH13 Pro's won't add what's not there. Also, it's easily possible for someone to think a neutral sound signature ( JH13 Pro ) is anemic when they are so used to a more bass oriented sound. Go listen to bassy headphone and then come back to your reference grade neutral headphone, you'll think they're anemic. Until you listen to them for awhile and begin to appreciate the fact that they're not adding or subtracting anything to/from the music.

Or it could just well on be because I have the HiFiMAN has a source which has a more heavier, detailed and more natural sound than a iMod.

What they say makes more sense to me if the JH16s indeed are slightly 'bass-heavy' compared to the 13s.  I got new cables for my HD650 on the protector while I wait for my JH16's to arrive, and to my ears there's a better-formed sound stage that comes at the expense of some low~midrange punch (you could call it as being more faithful to the recordings -- right now I consider it as a double-edge sword that adds a lot to certain songs, but prevents it from being a 'jack of all trades' headphone).  Your ears would get used to this quickly so it doesn't take very long for this to become the norm again, but if indeed something like this is happening then I can see the 16s becoming a better match.

Bear in mind that my opinion's not worth much of anything since I'm talking entirely out of speculation.

May 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #1,034 of 3,787
I really would love to hear a JH16 Pro, not because I would want one. But to see how on earth I would like it's sound signature since the JH13's has perfect bass quantity to me. They're those who want to hear music they way it should sound ( Me ) and they those who want a more musical presentation of their music boosting the warmth past neutral.

May 28, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #1,035 of 3,787
Sonic 748i, I believe you've made your point plenty clear in about 50 different posts and a couple of youtube videos.  We get it.  You think the 13s have the perfect bass quantity to you even though you haven't heard the 16s.  You also think the 13s brings out the music as they should sound.  We all get it.  Can we move on to something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back