JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Mar 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #20 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRGus723 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jajo and Jalo, you guys brothers??? :)

may be in past life
floatsmile.png

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #21 of 3,787
Thanks for your impressions, Jude. Then I was absolutely correct to choose the JH13. I don't like colored sound.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your impressions, Jude. Then I was absolutely correct to choose the JH13. I don't like colored sound.

X2

Just received my JH13 today and based on this review I made the right choice

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #24 of 3,787
Jude, thanks for the review.

My ear molds were made 4 days ago and are in transit to JH Audio. I had ordered the JH13s, worried that the JH16s might be the IEM-equivalent of Beyer DT770s ("fun phones" with overpowering bass).

After reading Jude's review, I am thinking I should change my order to the JH16s. (This is possible because JH Audio hasn't received my ear molds yet.) When I spoke to Jaime at JH Audio just now on the phone, she didn't try to dissuade me. I asked her whether she had read Jude's review and thinks it is accurate and whether she would recommend the JH16s over the JH13s. She replied "yep" to both questions without any hesitation. Maybe this is no surprise, but it is certainly more definitive-sounding than Jerry Harvey's somewhat opaque comments on Facebook about the relative merits of the JH16s vs. the JH13s.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #25 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The strange thing is that I've tended toward neutrality more strongly in the last couple of years, but yet right now the JH16 Pro is my preference--the extension, slam and control is otherworldly, even if it is boosted above neutrality. Like I said at the beginning of this post, however, it could be because it's still new and exciting to me, so time will tell, but I prefer the JH16 Pro right now. The JH16 Pro is like the JH13 Pro with an exceptionally well-engineered subwoofer arrangement.

Well said.
L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #26 of 3,787
I usually quote specific messages before I comment on them, but I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment.

Regarding the JH16 Pro being the new king of IEMs: I don't think that's accurate. I think for those given the opportunity to hear demo units of both prior to ordering, it wouldn't surprise me if those orders were split down the middle. Some people like more neutral, some people like more bassy. The JH13 Pro is a bit more than neutral in the bass (and generally neutral through the rest). And the JH16 Pro is even more above neutral in the bass than the JH13 Pro, and similar (generally neutral) through the rest. Again, I could be wrong, but I think as more impressions shake out from others, and as some people get to hear demo units of both, there will likely be a relatively even split on orders between these two models over the long run (again, of course, I could be wrong, and only time will tell).

Regarding the UE18 Pro versus the JH16 Pro: UE18 Pro sounds bloomier through the mids than either the JH13 or JH16. The JH16 Pro has a bigger bass bump than the UE18 Pro I've got. Both the JH13 and JH16 are more neutral overall above 100 Hz. Both the JH13 and JH16 have shimmerier treble at the higher end of whatever my ears' limits are. The UE18, overall, tends towards the sweeter, somewhat more mid-forward, presentation than either the JH13 or JH16. Both the JH16 and JH13 have a more revealing, more reference-type sound. The UE18 Pro is really its own flavor, and the JH16 and JH13 are different flavors of the same reference-type presentation.

Regarding the JH11 Pro: I haven't heard that one, so I apologize I can't comment on that one specifically.

Regarding balanced operation, the Shadow and the Predator: I haven't used any of my IEMs balanced out of the Protector yet (I still haven't ordered my cables). I haven't used the JH16 Pro with the Shadow or the Predator yet.

Regarding people happy they chose the JH13 Pro or the JH16 Pro (take your pick): Not surprising (either way). I feel fortunate to have both now, but I could gladly live with either (if, say, I had to hypothetically send one of them away forever).

Regarding how much more over neutral in the bass than the HD800 the JH16 Pro is (if you're willing to accept that the HD800 is generally quite neutral through the bass, which I am): Without measuring it, I'd really rather not guess at numbers, but I think it's safe to say the JH16 Pro is at least a handful of decibels higher than the HD800 centered at 50Hz.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #27 of 3,787
Thanks Jude!

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #29 of 3,787
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding how much more over neutral in the bass than the HD800 the JH16 Pro is (if you're willing to accept that the HD800 is generally quite neutral through the bass, which I am): Without measuring it, I'd really rather not guess at numbers, but I think it's safe to say the JH16 Pro is at least a handful of decibels higher than the HD800 centered at 50Hz.

That's a helpful comparison. I think that's way too much bass for my tastes. I'll shoot for the 13s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back