JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Mar 10, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #2,206 of 3,787
Good decision! For me, I don't use my JH16s straight out from my portable players too, they just don't do justice to them, and the bass kind of gets in the way of the rest of the music. Makes everything sound a little boomy and muddy. That's why I use my UM1s or ES5s for on a portable setup.

With a proper source and amp, the tables get turned. My favorite setup is my DACport->TWag2->JH16s. That's when the sound stage widens, and bass tightens, and all the flaws with the JH16s when it came straight out from my Sansa Clip+ just disappear. This is when they really shine.

You may be disappointed with the JH16s. I was too, when i first got them. Probably due to the hype and excitement, and of their cost not being able to justify the upgrade over the previous set of earphones. But be rest assured you got a beast in your hands, you just got to find a way to unlock its potential.

Quote:
That's Great SolidVictory!

Cant wait for your impressions with your new JH16 compared to your Cowon S9-SM3, since we both came from cowon player(maybe eqd)-SM3.

Currently I just decided that I will not use my J3 with JH16, my SM3s are more appropriate for them IMHO. I'll stick to Iphone or another DAP for them with TWAG cable balanced to SR71B.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #2,207 of 3,787

Quote:
That's Great SolidVictory!

Cant wait for your impressions with your new JH16 compared to your Cowon S9-SM3, since we both came from cowon player(maybe eqd)-SM3.

Currently I just decided that I will not use my J3 with JH16, my SM3s are more appropriate for them IMHO. I'll stick to Iphone or another DAP for them with TWAG cable balanced to SR71B.

I actually don't use any EQ or any of the BBE settings on my Cowon S9. I prefer the sound that way. I plan to get a better DAP along the line, but I think the Cowon S9 will suffice for at least a few months as I get used to the JH16. I like taking my time between all upgrades, to appreciate the sound differences and to adapt to the sound signatures.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #2,208 of 3,787
Had the 16's for two weeks now and keep revisiting the 'fit' issue that I thought I had at first.

I have just emailed JH to see what they say but I suspect they'll have to go back for a refit.

In summary if I sit looking at my PC monitor, head still, straight and then lift my head as if to look at the ceiling or as if I was draining the contents of a coke can... I get a slightly clearer and more detailed sound, as I lower my head back to 'eye' level... the sounds muffles and become less detailed... this difference is SMALL... but it is there and that is what bugs me!

I can replicate the detailed sound by twisting the IEMS in my ear anti clockwise slightly (put the IEM in, reach up with fingers and grab the IEM (two fingers at the top and thumb at the bottom) and twist it in my ear... But this isn't the 'natural' position that they WANT to sit in... I am having to force them into that position.

It's either a fitting issue with me (have owned custom IEMs for a while) or a fit issue with the mould.

Once in, the 16's are comfortable, pain free and I wear them in 4 hours stints at work so no problems with 'bedding in' etc.

It'll be a shame if they have to go back (I'm in the UK) but having spent £800 on these, I want them right and sounding as good as they can sound.

Carlos.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #2,209 of 3,787
Having owned custom tips for universal IEMs, JH16, and now ES5, I'm starting to see what creates the best custom fit for me.  You can really drive yourself crazy with all kinds of different insertion methods, head/neck positions, etc., but if the length, width and overall shape of the tip are accurate enough, it shouldn't be that much of a hassle.

My JH16's right tip was just never made long enough to give me the sound clarity and ease of insertion that I'm getting on my ES5, and yet my ES5's left tip isn't quite wide enough to stay sealed if I'm moving around.  One thing which Westone seems to realize is that (at least for me) longer tips seal and sound better than short ones. 

JHA never extended the length of my tips despite several requests to do so and a second set of impressions which were made very deeply.  Although making shorter tips may be intentional (maybe for comfort reasons or an acoustic reason like distance from the bores/drivers), this approach just never created the right isolation or sound presence for me. 

The sound on my right has always felt more distant and muffled than my left, and the faceplate of my right earpiece is slanted when inserted, rather than fully flat and flush with my ear like my left.  It seems that, once the shell and tip is made, it's difficult for them to lengthen the tip, (maybe because this would require re-doing the tubes and/or bores).

So I guess the lesson I've learned is to request that your impression be taken deeply, and your tips be made long from the beginning.  The width can always be adjusted easily later.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #2,210 of 3,787

I agree with this 100%!! I have the same issues with length and flushness. I added a few layers to my right ear which helped balance out the sound though. At this point I'm not sure if its my iPhone 4, or my fit that leads to the imbalance. Whenever I listen to my older eminem albums he always feels to the left, but in other music I can barely tell. I was going to pick up a pico slim to verify the balance issue since its digitally balanced...but I ended up buying a iPad instead lol. I'll have to play around with different sources to verify any imbalance.

Another thing is I don't think I can get my right iem any longer since I think I'm getting close to hitting the inside of my ear atm, which means i'd have to curve the tip or something. Ears aren't uniform, so some people have natural advantages in the way their ear canals are, which leads to more awesome iem experiences.
Quote:
Having owned custom tips for universal IEMs, JH16, and now ES5, I'm starting to see what creates the best custom fit for me.  You can really drive yourself crazy with all kinds of different insertion methods, head/neck positions, etc., but if the length, width and overall shape of the tip are accurate enough, it shouldn't be that much of a hassle.

My JH16's right tip was just never made long enough to give me the sound clarity and ease of insertion that I'm getting on my ES5, and yet my ES5's left tip isn't quite wide enough to stay sealed if I'm moving around.  One thing which Westone seems to realize is that (at least for me) longer tips seal and sound better than short ones. 

JHA never extended the length of my tips despite several requests to do so and a second set of impressions which were made very deeply.  Although making shorter tips may be intentional (maybe for comfort reasons or an acoustic reason like distance from the bores/drivers), this approach just never created the right isolation or sound presence for me. 

The sound on my right has always felt more distant and muffled than my left, and the faceplate of my right earpiece is slanted when inserted, rather than fully flat and flush with my ear like my left.  It seems that, once the shell and tip is made, it's difficult for them to lengthen the tip, (maybe because this would require re-doing the tubes and/or bores).

So I guess the lesson I've learned is to request that your impression be taken deeply, and your tips be made long from the beginning.  The width can always be adjusted easily later.

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #2,211 of 3,787

Quote:

The length of the tips is certainly not an issue for me, unless they are too long... they go way deep.

Maybe that the problem, too long so that when I look up and extend my neck at the front they move away from my ear drum and clear the sound a little.

We'll see I guess... I'm really torn because the difference is so minor and I can get the right sound with some fiddling around.,. perhaps another week or so trying. I believe the fit warranty is 30 days?

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #2,212 of 3,787

I sent my JH16 back for refit about a month ago and just received them yesterday. Sadly, I can't really tell a difference.
My left IEM sits kinda loose in my ear and I can also take it out very easily compared to the right one which fits perfect. I told JHA to add another layer or two on the canal area and apeture and I also send them an impression of my left ear so they can compare and figure out how what needs to be changed by themselves.

But as I said, nothing seems to have changed. They just added another layer on the canal area but it didn't seem to make a difference at all.

Now I actually have the feeling that the "loose" fit might be caused by the bowl area (or other areas) being too big, rather than the the other areas being too small.

Can this be possible?

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #2,213 of 3,787

Quote:

I sent my JH16 back for refit about a month ago and just received them yesterday. Sadly, I can't really tell a difference.\

every time I read some thing like this i cringe.  it just seems like such a hassle to get a refit, and so many people seem to have issues getting a good refit.  I am not targeting JHA specifically  - just saying that having this issue with any customs seems like a real drag.

though a month does seem like an aweful long time to wait. 

i REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY hope my JH3A fits perfectly when it arrives.  after waiting nearly 8 months for preorder.. having to send them right back for a refit would be a bit maddening

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #2,214 of 3,787
Hi,

I took a look at my JH16s Drivers and  found what was write on the drivers.

Higs:   JH4 - HD

Mids:   JH3 -MD

Bass:   JHA  XB

What about you guys?
And I wanted to know witch model of BA JH Audio share between JH16 and 13s? Or they use all the same drivers in both models, and the 13s just has two less bass drivers, different X-Over, and one tube sharing bass and mids and on for the highs?

Rodrigo Pita

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #2,216 of 3,787
Hi guys, how should the JH16 Pro highs should sound? Is the SQ of treble should be sparkling with lots of details and weight of crashing cymbals like for example DBA-02 or CK10?

Just to clarify, maybe mine has fit issues and cannot hear the treble SQ on par with my DBA02s. I tried to boost the EQ of the treble in my J3 and still cannot hear the quality of sparkle.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #2,217 of 3,787

Quote:
Hi guys, how should the JH16 Pro highs should sound? Is the SQ of treble should be sparkling with lots of details and weight of crashing cymbals like for example DBA-02 or CK10?

Just to clarify, maybe mine has fit issues and cannot hear the treble SQ on par with my DBA02s. I tried to boost the EQ of the treble in my J3 and still cannot hear the quality of sparkle.

I've heard the JH16 universal demo and it didn't have much sparkle. The treble was a bit dark. Others who own the JH16 have also reported a dark treble, so it is not a quality of the demo alone.
Some people find the JH16 to be sibilant, so I'm not sure how to explain that.

Sounds like you bought the wrong custom. Try Unique Melody or the Westone ES5, maybe.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #2,218 of 3,787

Quote:
I had the same problem with my refit but I could not be bothered to keep sending them back so just used clear acrylic based nail polish and done it myself, now they are a perfect fit.

JH reposnded to say that if I didn't lose any low's when I moved my head around it 'probably need to tighten up canals'.

I might get some
[size=large]Tamiya Jar 10ml Acrylic Paint [/size]
[size=large]from ebay and add a couple of layers myself.[/size]

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #2,219 of 3,787

Quote:

I've heard the JH16 universal demo and it didn't have much sparkle. The treble was a bit dark. Others who own the JH16 have also reported a dark treble, so it is not a quality of the demo alone.
Some people find the JH16 to be sibilant, so I'm not sure how to explain that.

Sounds like you bought the wrong custom. Try Unique Melody or the Westone ES5, maybe.

just goes to show how people hear differently... some say dark....some say sibilant...but most thinks its just right.  

I don't think he bought the wrong custom..... just needs to sit and get accustomed to it for a bit.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #2,220 of 3,787
Thank You Matt!

I think just JH Audio can answer about JH13s and 16 Drivers....

I said I got sibilant with my 16s, BUT I get sibilance with all my songs, and harsh highs. I know this is not the natural sound of it bc the Universal demo had a way better sound. I sent them back today for the third time and hope get it fixed. The good part is that I got a perfect fit.

Rodrigo Pita

Users who are viewing this thread

Back