JH Audio JH-3A
Mar 6, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #2,523 of 2,681
^ LOL quadruple post :)

I trust Jerry and JHA. I hope they will [attempt to] redeem their repu. and trust again from those who have lost it from the 3A experience.

Still wondering (if the 3A final product does have coaxial spdif in) if one should use a coaxial spdif to mini from the solo to 3A unit. I've been informed that the spdif out (the orange one) bypasses the internal DAC of the solo :| then I don't know how to get a digital signal from the solo to the 3A; the only connecting option left is mini-mini o.o

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #2,524 of 2,681

Quote:

One Westone rep, p0wderh0und23, has participated in several Westone threads; 2 that I remember quite well are/ were the ES3X & UM3X Appreciation threads. I also remember p0wderh0und23 directly responding to some posters who'd reported issues with a Westone product. I distinctly remember seeing that happening with at least 3-4 people who had issues with the Westone 3 or UM3X IEMs, even when those reports were not posted on the 'official' Appreciation threads.

I myself had issues with my 3-month-old Westone 3 and started a thread asking people if anyone had had similar issues - I soon got a PM from p0wderh0und23 and the issue was quickly resolved: I sent it back to Westone and I was sent a brand new W3 replacement. Needless to say I was quite impressed.

Indeed.  Westone is very present here and has ears all over.  It simply invokes the Prime Directive.  They don't deserve to be grouped together in the context of that relevant post.  So far Westone and Meelec are head and shoulders above the rest in CS IME.  

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #2,525 of 2,681

Quote:
^ LOL quadruple post
smily_headphones1.gif

I trust Jerry and JHA. I hope they will [attempt to] redeem their repu. and trust again from those who have lost it from the 3A experience.

Still wondering (if the 3A final product does have coaxial spdif in) if one should use a coaxial spdif to mini from the solo to 3A unit. I've been informed that the spdif out (the orange one) bypasses the internal DAC of the solo :| then I don't know how to get a digital signal from the solo to the 3A; the only connecting option left is mini-mini o.o

Yes, you want to use coax SPDIF to mini. You want to bypass  dac in solo. You want digital data go straight to dac in JH-3A. If you use dac in solo, data get converted to analog and then in JH-3A back to digital, it just add two additional conversion, which degrade sound.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 6, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #2,526 of 2,681
Yes, you want to use coax SPDIF to mini. You want to bypass  dac in solo. You want digital data go straight to dac in JH-3A. If you use dac in solo, data get converted to analog and then in JH-3A back to digital, it just add two additional conversion, which degrade sound.

Ohhhh okay, there's a DAC in the 3A. That makes sense now. Thanks for clearing it up for me ^.^ Now, to decide which company cable to get :p Looking at moon-audio black dragon coaxial spdif to mini :xf_eek:

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #2,527 of 2,681
For those planning/using a Solo with an iPad, why? Assuming (it certainly may not) the iPad 2 remains like the iPad 1 and is 16/48 limited and can support the 3As USB connection (sounds like it from JHA comments, though...) using a Camera Connection Kit, what's the upside of the extra cash on the Solo and the coax cable?

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #2,528 of 2,681
For those planning/using a Solo with an iPad, why? Assuming (it certainly may not) the iPad 2 remains like the iPad 1 and is 16/48 limited and can support the 3As USB connection (sounds like it from JHA comments, though...) using a Camera Connection Kit, what the upside of the extra cash on the Solo and the coax cable?

That's a good point :)

A quote by Vinnie:
The Apple Devices (iPod, iPhone, iPod Touch, Nano, iPad) connect digitally to the Solo via their USB port (which is built-in the 30-pin dock of the Apple Devices).

The USB receiver in the Solo uses an asynchronous USB receiver. It is called "asychronous because the Solo's built-in dac's master clock (as well as the USB to SPDIF conversion for the digital coax output) is NOT synchronized with the Apple Device's clock that transfers the USB data. Instead, the Solo's dac (and again, the USB to SPDIF conversion for the digital coax output) is controlled by an on-board, high-precision fixed-frequency clock that controls the datastream, buffering, and clocking.

Benefits:

- The lowest jitter of any iPod digital converter that exists today. So both the coax digital output as well as the I2S that feeds the internal Wolfson dac is very, very clean.

I think that will suffice, although I still need some convincing that paying 600 dollars to extract asynchronous data is worth the $...

However, I have an iPhone 4, and iPod Touch. :D

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #2,529 of 2,681
This is sooo ridiculous. To top off my already awful experience with JHA that I detailed a few pages ago, I spent a chunk on a sonicweld diverter & usb + coaxial cables, primarily for the jh-3a.
Lots of people have bought the solo, premium coax cables, and expensive usb to coax converters/reclockers. Some people have sold everything and prepared for the jh-3a as there only unit. This significant change at the last minute will have many ramifications for me and I'm sure some others. 
I have been the first to support jha and not make a fuss with the delays, but it has become a joke, especially with regards to their PR.
I find it hard to believe they can't take the time to post once on head-fi (1 thread btw) although they're on face book alot of the time.  I believe it's because they simply don't want to admit to the monumental screw ups that has been this fiasco. I personally admire integrity & open communication over mistakes. Again, I appreciate that some things are out of their control. I would have waited another 3 months if I had to without much bother. Not like this though. I'm really struggling with it now.

This is a direct quote from they're facebook page.

"JH AUDIO  I just spoke to Jerry and he has told me that unfortunately the factory changed this component, and he just found out last week. This was actually not our decision. He has have a call in to the factory to find out exactly what's going on and why the specs were changed. This amp was originally only supposed to be analog in. The additional inputs were added because of so many requests from customers and they took a lot of time to perfect. "

The bit that really gets me is that they're saying it's not even their fault, but it is inadvertently our fault for bothering them so much with requests. Not cool.

I do need to add that Jerry himself has never personally treated me poorly, he seems to be a great guy.  I do want to be a part of this and support Jerry, however the company as a whole is slowing losing my commitment

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #2,531 of 2,681
Anybody that sells all their kit in anticipation of delivery a first off hi tech product from a small maker without a firm ship date is being ridiculaously optimistic about delivery. No one to blame but yourself. I've seen this in the past in another device where a processor chip was repackaged in another config and instead of making a few and then have a gap, they just held it up a couple months so all would be alike with the new pc board and part. Good decision but it had another board up in arms. Once premiered it was worth the wait and the griping stopped.

If JH is guilty of anything, it's that they let the cat out of the bag too early as this is the common consumer reaction to delays. Of course, without consumer input, it would have been analog in only so perhaps it will all turn out for the best anyway.

If the product is as described, I can guarantee that the deposits aren't enough to foot the bill and they'll need to sell a good # before they make a healthy profit. Should be no problem with the clientelle it's designed for. More important for it to be right than on time.

I suspect it's JH policy to not directly participate in forum discussions boyond perhaps an announcement but I don't reacall seeing that. Members may feel slighted by a lack of participation but I understand the silly things one can be drawn into. That there are reports that they are not great about responding directly to consumer emails is another matter but it's also likely that some will send them 3 or 4 over 48 hours. I'm sure other instances are just as described and should be better addressed.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #2,532 of 2,681
Today off of Facebook:

Hello,
We are very sorry for the delay in shipment of the JH3A.
We do not post on headfi threads due to the fact that we leave that as a place for customers to express their thoughts. We do however read all the posts and know that this has ...been a frustrating process not only for the customer but for us as well. Please know we are doing everything in our power to get this amp shipped to all our customers.
Brittany Harvey

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2,533 of 2,681
Shouldn't they at least have their own forums then?

I know I'm not the only one with a violent aversion to facebook...

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #2,534 of 2,681
@goodvibes
I don't debate most of that, however JH have had an active role in  head-fi, whether it be threads, advertisments or promotions. I mean canjam was a huge part of the JH-3a announcement with demo's and sales etc. They have been clearly avoiding contact through this thread. Not one post. But thats not such a big deal to me, it's that they don't even email the buyers any changes?? I have to hear about it through my mate since I don't use facebook. I use head-fi.  Also any email I sent that didn't involve money changing hands seems to be often selectivly avoided. Sometime 3-4 emails before a response.
Anyway the point is, again, that it is the lack of PR IMO that makes this whole things taste pretty crap to me. YMMV.

& btw I feel sorry for the few people that did sell all their gear to pay for the 3a. The last thing they need to hear is " You got no one to blame but yourself."

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #2,535 of 2,681

Quote:
Today off of Facebook:

Hello,
We are very sorry for the delay in shipment of the JH3A.
We do not post on headfi threads due to the fact that we leave that as a place for customers to express their thoughts. We do however read all the posts and know that this has ...been a frustrating process not only for the customer but for us as well. Please know we are doing everything in our power to get this amp shipped to all our customers.
Brittany Harvey

dont have any horses in this race so to speak, but I have been following this drama through this thread on and off, just as many others are since this promised new technology will be a game changer for all head-fi enthusiast.

However, I must say I am dismayed by the way JH has been handling this affair so far.. and I feel even their new response in FB shows lack of respect for those paid customers, as the message posted has no real information whatsoever. all its saying is what they have been promising over these months over and over: we are doing all we can to ship this product. 
yet no information as to the new developments in regards to digital confusion..
and maybe they should do everything in their power to get the amp produced before they promise "to get the amp shipped" ?? 
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back