JH Audio JH-3A
Jun 14, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #511 of 2,681
Hello guys, I'm new to the forums and I'm really interested in getting this device. Thank you Sonic 748i for that thread with the impressions. Those impressions gave me a better feel of this product but I'm still skeptical. Is it really that good and worth $1,700!?!?!?! I'm a drummer/audiophile and looking for a awesome pair of custom IEM's for on and off the stage. I think I might take the plunge and buy this. I own the UE7 and they were great for the 5 years I've had them but now I want something new. Thanks guys and this site is awesome by the way!

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #512 of 2,681
hello again sonic, voltag3 or whoever you really are, if you even know

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #513 of 2,681
nice...JH Audio
beerchug.gif

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #514 of 2,681
I would call Jerry and ask him. I would think the layered sound would be beneficial as
a stage monitor mix. The JH-3A  would have to take monitor mixes to another level as well.
Let us know what he says.

Quote:
Hello guys, I'm new to the forums and I'm really interested in getting this device. Thank you Sonic 748i for that thread with the impressions. Those impressions gave me a better feel of this product but I'm still skeptical. Is it really that good and worth $1,700!?!?!?! I'm a drummer/audiophile and looking for a awesome pair of custom IEM's for on and off the stage. I think I might take the plunge and buy this. I own the UE7 and they were great for the 5 years I've had them but now I want something new. Thanks guys and this site is awesome by the way!

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #515 of 2,681
NVM

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #516 of 2,681
I am not a techie type guy, do not understand half of the techie stuff written on this thread. I have gone through it many times but still am not sure about the answer to my question.

So. Flame away if you will all those that understand this but I don't and would really like a clear answer without techie stuff getting in the way!

If I use my latest gen 160gig ipod with this combo will the amp act like the wadia 170i transport in that the ipod's dac is bypassed and something deep within the JH3-A will take over and produce superior results?

If this is so would I just plug in my LOD to this amp to achieve that result?

In other words will the JH-3A act like the wadia 170i?

Thanks and sorry to all you folks in the know who probably are thinking what on earth is this idiot on about!

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #517 of 2,681

No it won't. You still need something like the 170i to extract digital data from your ipod.
But the JH3A does take analog input. though.

Quote:
[...]  
In other words will the JH-3A act like the wadia 170i?

Thanks and sorry to all you folks in the know who probably are thinking what on earth is this idiot on about!

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #518 of 2,681

Quote:
No it won't. You still need something like the 170i to extract digital data from your ipod.
But the JH3A does take analog input. though.

Thank you so much! So what benifits will I have with using my ipod apart from the headphones being of greater quality, what special feature would I benifit from that is not availible on the other portable amps out there? Is it simple synergy seeing as the headphones were made for the amp (or vis versa!) or is there a special sonic advantage that cannot be found with just the 16's and another brand of amp?

Thanks so much for the clear reply, I understand that part now..Now imagine if the amp could have done what the wadia does as well!!

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #519 of 2,681

Quote:
Thank you so much! So what benifits will I have with using my ipod apart from the headphones being of greater quality, what special feature would I benifit from that is not availible on the other portable amps out there? Is it simple synergy seeing as the headphones were made for the amp (or vis versa!) or is there a special sonic advantage that cannot be found with just the 16's and another brand of amp?

Thanks so much for the clear reply, I understand that part now..Now imagine if the amp could have done what the wadia does as well!!

You hit it on the head, these are a combo - they arenot MEANT TO BE SEPARATED as I understand it.  I believe if you get this, your JH1[3|6]Pro will not work or work well with other amps.  They are meant to be a complete system (which is WHY I really am concerned about the lack of a high-end USB input, it would be nice if the USB input could atleast do 24-bit/96khz....).

With that said, you could do what Sonic plans which is a HiFace to convert the USB output to a higher sampling SDPIF to the JH-3A.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #520 of 2,681

Quote:

You hit it on the head, these are a combo - they arenot MEANT TO BE SEPARATED as I understand it.  I believe if you get this, your JH1[3|6]Pro will not work or work well with other amps.  They are meant to be a complete system (which is WHY I really am concerned about the lack of a high-end USB input, it would be nice if the USB input could atleast do 24-bit/96khz....).

With that said, you could do what Sonic plans which is a HiFace to convert the USB output to a higher sampling SDPIF to the JH-3A.

Thank you so much! Both replies have answered what I did not understand, I really appreciate both of you taking the time to do this! I love music but have not much of an idea of the technical side (other than working in the studio with clients on their mixes but that is more hearing that techincal about equipment!)

I saw sonics video of that and did not quite understand what it was for, your explanation does that now!

Being mr cautious though I will wait to see what folks think of this equipment once they have had it for a few weeks..Never been much of a first adopter me!

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #521 of 2,681
@ianmedium, it really is more than jsut an amp combo though. The real important part of the JH-3A amp box, is the DSP that is inside that does the active crossover, on top of time/phase aligning the entire spectrum.

and the headphones will not work with any other amp, they have 4 wires going to each earpiece, and dont have a built in crossover because of the one that is in the box it comes with.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #522 of 2,681
What you get with the JH3-A and the 13 or 16's is a custom amplifier with active crossovers built in and it's own internal amplifiers. The active crossovers split the signal to the low,mid and high frequencies. Those 3 signals are then sent to the 3 internal amplifiers which then send the amplified signal via three wires (4 including ground) to the low,mid and high speakers inside the in the ear monitor. Each in the ear monitor will have 4 wires connected to it. What I described would be for example one channel such as the left ear monitor. The right channel - right ear-would have the same thing. What you also get is time and phase alignment of the signal which helps make the sound what it is....

The traditional 13/16's have passive crossovers that are installed inside the in the ear monitor. Those passive built in crossovers send the signal to each speaker inside the monitor.That's why there are only 2 wires feeding the left monitor for example. So your  "over the counter" amplifier sends the entire frequency down one wire to your monitor which splits the signal inside the monitor to each speaker. This is why a "over the counter" amp will not work with the JH3-A 13 or 16 combo.

I hope this helps you understand.

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #523 of 2,681

Quote:
@ianmedium, it really is more than jsut an amp combo though. The real important part of the JH-3A amp box, is the DSP that is inside that does the active crossover, on top of time/phase aligning the entire spectrum.

and the headphones will not work with any other amp, they have 4 wires going to each earpiece, and dont have a built in crossover because of the one that is in the box it comes with.

Quote:
What you get with the JH3-A and the 13 or 16's is a custom amplifier with active crossovers built in and it's own internal amplifiers. The active crossovers split the signal to the low,mid and high frequencies. Those 3 signals are then sent to the 3 internal amplifiers which then send the amplified signal via three wires (4 including ground) to the low,mid and high speakers inside the in the ear monitor. Each in the ear monitor will have 4 wires connected to it. What I described would be for example one channel such as the left ear monitor. The right channel - right ear-would have the same thing. What you also get is time and phase alignment of the signal which helps make the sound what it is....

The traditional 13/16's have passive crossovers that are installed inside the in the ear monitor. Those passive built in crossovers send the signal to each speaker inside the monitor.That's why there are only 2 wires feeding the left monitor for example. So your  "over the counter" amplifier sends the entire frequency down one wire to your monitor which splits the signal inside the monitor to each speaker. This is why a "over the counter" amp will not work with the JH3-A 13 or 16 combo.

I hope this helps you understand.

Thank you so much both. I fully get it now, I really appreciate the non techie information, it really helps a great deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back