JH Audio Freqphase, who's upgraded from the older models?
Dec 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #31 of 90
Quote:
Thapchild, to your original point, and the reason I think this thread was started is really the difference the new freqphase tech has had on the bass response. I just ordered a pair of 16's and I am curious too. This my first CIEM, and I based my decision similarly on the reviews of this community, and more specifically those on the 13's and the 16's. Although I like a clean sound, and would not consider myself a basshead, it seems I like a little more bass than many (ok maybe I'm in denial). I'm just wondering, as you are, if the freqphase tech brings the 16's sound a little closer to neutral in comparison to the previous version. I don't know if we will get a clear opinion until some lucky people with both express their views. Either way, I can't wait for them to arrive!

I agree, that may be the case.  Perhaps freqphase has tamed the beast slightly, but I probably do like more bass than most.  The thing about the JH16 is they have the ability to really rattle your brains out.  But to do it, they need power, and for the power required the mids/highs are deafening.  I can throw in a verrrrry old Dr. Crankenstine Bass CD (used when I had a competition system in my car) and it feels like I have subs strapped to my head.  My TF10 can't produce the bass like the JH16.  Then with out changing any settings on my source, I can play "float on" by Modest Mouse and I really can't hear/feel the kick drum.  It's there, but I have to try and focus on it.  I'm asking too much from headphones I'd guess, but my home system you can still feel the kick drum... In my car with factory Bose system (which i lothe bose) i can still feel the kick drum. 

Perhaps its just the difference between IEM and real speakers.  I expected to feel the kick drum on most rock songs with the JH16, but track to track the bass is either awesome, or just in the background.  But songs like Modest Mouse - Float on, on JH13 if they lack that much more bass than the JH16, you wouldn't even hear it!  Maybe I've rocked out too hard for too long?!

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #32 of 90
I doubt the overall balanced has changed. They were tuned to be what they are. The 13 has more to gain here with the added bore but it likely comes to both models in the form of solidity/focus and refinement more so than in any change in overall tonal balance. It's funny because some think the universal 13s too neutral and others found them bass heavy. I found their balance very good and natural. I think a rising bass as frequency lowers makes an IEM sound more like sound in free space. It just shouldn't start too early to keep string bass and male vocals correct. For me, the 16 has extra bass everywhere and too much for natural though it likely sounds close to that on stage or on a plane where noise masks the extremes. The 13 has a great foundation without fattening the diet....for me. The one spot that some prefer the fitear is the mids and imaging. That's exactly what the freq phase should improve.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #33 of 90
The tweeters in my JH16's blew for the 2cd time in October and JH graciously redid my pair with the freq phase at no cost. Very happy with the customer service. I haven't spent alot of time with them yet as I'm totally in love with my Ultrsone Sig PRO's but in the time I have spent I found the newly refurbished 16's "cleaner" in sound and perhaps a "tad" lighter in the sub bass impact. Only a "tad" though mind you and as a card carrying basshead I am still very happy.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #34 of 90
If anyone is looking to sell their JH13 Pro before upgrading to the new one, please let me know. I'm interested in buying them. Probably easier to email me at xinhangms@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #37 of 90
I've been fortunate enough to have the JH13s and both types of JH16s.  I guess you could call me a fanboy.  
etysmile.gif

I wish I had the opportunity to hear the new JH13 but funds just won't allow that.  I will tell you that the FreqPhase addition to the JH16 adds a texture to the music that doesn't exist in any other IEM I have tried.  I also have the 1964-D to compare to.  For example, with string plucking or trumpet sounds I can picture the instrument; I can feel more of the instrument.  This is easy to equate to a high-end stereo system.  If you have ever heard a real well done system you can picture what string is being plucked or feel an instrument resonate in front of you.  The new JH16 gives you some of that.  I am really bad with words; sorry guys.

I don't feel the bass on the JH16 has calmed down much at all.  I will tell you one thing the new JH16 does that I never noticed with the original version and that is create a (good) pounding in my ears.  I have listened to some tracks where I don't hear sound but I feel like the JH16 bumping along in my ear.  The same kind of idea of bass shakers for your couches or sofas.  It's a pretty surreal feeling.  

If I disregard the JH3A I would pick the JH16 with FreqPhase over the JH13 because of the little additions I now hear and feel.  However, with all things created equal the JH13 is the superior IEM in my opinion.  It plays music how it is supposed to be heard.  If you could hear them one after the other you would realize that the JH16 was made for boppin' and the JH13 was made for an everyday music appreciation IEM.  It's awesome!! 

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #38 of 90
Got my 13's back today after an adjustment to make them fit tighter. I think they're ok now, but will give it a couple days to make sure. 
Still feel the same about them, better clarity over the original 16. 

The do take a little bit more of a turn on the volume knob to reach the same volume as the 16, but the impedance is higher and the sensitivity is 2 db less according to the JH website. That's a good thing for those guys who complain when they hear any hiss. 

I just plugged in the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable with the Balanced RSA plug and noticed the other change. These plugs fit damm tight now. With some patience and steady wigging I was able to get the the cord unplugged but it takes a lot more effort than the old 16. At the risk of sounding like Martha Stewart, that's another good thing. I thought the plugs on my old ones should have fitted tighter. 

Anyhow, the Moon Audio cable...go get one! You will not be disappointed. 
Everything gets better and more refined without changing the tonal balance or throwing details in your face. 
Yeah, they're expensive but what in this hobby isn't?

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #39 of 90
my comment on their car analogy: 

Koenigsegg, is a low volume extreme exclusive niche auto company which does exactly that, retrofit their old cars with new technologies for their loyal customers. so yes, honda/toyota may not replace parts for newer models, but youre not honda or toyota are you? youre koenigsegg which does replace components on older cars, and youre not living up to your marque.

Continually annoyed at some of their upgrade decisions for old consumers.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #41 of 90
Quote:
my comment on their car analogy: 

Koenigsegg, is a low volume extreme exclusive niche auto company which does exactly that, retrofit their old cars with new technologies for their loyal customers. so yes, honda/toyota may not replace parts for newer models, but youre not honda or toyota are you? youre koenigsegg which does replace components on older cars, and youre not living up to your marque.

Continually annoyed at some of their upgrade decisions for old consumers.

To extend your car analogy to this, it would be like asking koenigsegg to give you an entirely new car, but to use the same wheels and tires as the old car....so yeah, you're gonna end up paying for a whole new car.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #42 of 90
They've been extremely helpful with my order so far. I tried to order at the last minute but held off my original order because the discount didn't take and emailed them about it. They contacted me the next day ( after the sale ended) and fixed it. Also told me not to order until they gave me a custom code so as to avoid any confusion.

When I did order, I had given them a change erroneously by noting I wanted everything opaque, thinking opaque was translucent instead of solid and they got both the change and correction of it worked out within a day and were extremely pleasant on the phone when I checked up before sending the check. I find that proper sequencing helps things go better. My check and impressions are on their way with the corrected invoice via UPS.

For how I will use them, this is too much to pay for an IEM but I knew I loved the balance and controlled energy of the original jh13 and I've always been sensitive to phase so it just got too tempting with the discount. It was going to be these or JH5s but freq phase and the added tuning available from the 3rd bore hooked me on the 13s. 16s are just too weighty sounding for my needs.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #43 of 90
Hello everyone,

I want to upgrade my JH16/JH3A as well. I have some questions below:

1. I have to send the new impression to JH Lab or not ?
2. They (JH lab) need to remold the shell or just open the shell and reconfiguration inside ?
3. How much for the additional cost for upgrade ?

Thanks for help ^^

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #45 of 90
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I want to upgrade my JH16/JH3A as well. I have some questions below:

1. I have to send the new impression to JH Lab or not ?
2. They (JH lab) need to remold the shell or just open the shell and reconfiguration inside ?
3. How much for the additional cost for upgrade ?

Thanks for help ^^

Regarding question #2 (above): If you looked at the inside of a freqphase unit next to a pre-freqphase unit, you'd see that upgrading a pre-freqphase unit to freqphase is not really doable--the construction is completely different, with a redesign of the shell and the internals.

I can't see how they could reasonably upgrade a pre-freqphase unit to freqphase.

For questions #1 and #3, you may have to contact JH Audio directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back