JH Audio Freqphase, who's upgraded from the older models?
Nov 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 90
Quote:
You may want to contact Tyll from innerfidelity. He owns the 13s and has commented positively on the new version.

I'd certainly recommend the new JH13.  My only question is if I'd like the JH16 better now.  Four of the InnerFideity writers are getting the new JH13 and one will be getting the 16, and we'll be doing a large writeup on our impressions of all the CIEMs we currently have and are getting, maybe 10-15 different models. It'll be February before it's done though. For now I'll just say what I heard at RMAF was stunning.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 90
Never owned a CIEM but looking at the JH13 and JH16. Especially since the Freqphase was announced I might take the plunge into CIEM soon after doing a bit more research.

I am a bit afraid that the JH16 will have too much bass. I'm leaning towards the JH13 because I like a more natural sound.

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 90
You guys are just straight out buying another one? Because from their blog (http://jhaudioblog.wordpress.com/) they say that they cannot upgrade the older version

Though the reason they list (the car analogy) is so dumb and ridiculous I'm fighting the urge to write a rant post explaining what a ******** move this is to pull on your loyal customers

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #7 of 90
I wouldn't say the car analogy is ridiculous, it makes sense to me. However, there should be a coupon or something for past customers coming back for another pair. They aren't the only game in town. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 90
Quote:
I wouldn't say the car analogy is ridiculous, it makes sense to me. However, there should be a coupon or something for past customers coming back for another pair. They aren't the only game in town. 

the car analogy is ridiculous

why?

Simple!

the car buying public knows about the NEW year model car about 6 months AHEAD of actual release. Even 1 year sometmes.

what I do not get is, the JH3a system already aligns the sound for correct timing and phase. With freqphase, does that mean it is less. Less or more it still is the correct phase/timing under a JH3a... so does it infact improve upon a damn good sound already?

My math says no.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 90
Quote:
the car analogy is ridiculous

why?

Simple!

the car buying public knows about the NEW year model car about 6 months AHEAD of actual release. Even 1 year sometmes.

what I do not get is, the JH3a system already aligns the sound for correct timing and phase. With freqphase, does that mean it is less. Less or more it still is the correct phase/timing under a JH3a... so does it infact improve upon a damn good sound already?

My math says no.

Can't remember where I read it, but they changed how the amp works now because of the FreqPhase. 

Anyway.....
Back to my original question, anyone pulled the trigger yet?

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 90
Fine then, I took one for the team and ordered a pair of FreqPhase JH13's.
Sent my 16's in so they could make molds from them rather than get new impressions since they fit correctly.
If all goes as planned the 16's will be sold once the new ones arrive.
I'll keep you posted...

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 90
It certainly doesn't feel great buying my JH13 a week after the 10% off sale and something like 2-3 weeks before they got the freqphase change without knowing it was coming at all. Oh well, I'm still enjoying the current JH13. I am curious to hear how they really compare though. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 90
Ok guys, 
My JH 13's with the FreqPhase got here today. In spite of me sending my 16's in to use as the impressions, these don't fit as tight as my 16's, but they are still sealing good enough. This can be cured with another coat of acrylic or whatever it is they put on them. I'm sure there's a bit of shrinkage as with any molded part but they've been able to make small adjustments like that on my other pair so I'll call them Monday for a return number so they can make them just a bit tighter. 

So, the first word that enters my mind when I hear these is clarity. Cleaner, more open with better image location than the 16's. The bass seems about right and in line with the rest of the music, and not the dominating feature as you have with the 16. The annoying high frequency sibilance is gone too. I think they got it just right with this version. I've been sucked back into the computer room numerous times today to listen. 

It's taking some adjustment because I still expect the big bass of the 16, but the 13's are definitely more neutral and accurate. The 16's are more fun with the monster bass, but I could live with either. 

Now, will they honor the Thanksgiving sale price? 

iMac > iTunes W/ Pure Music or Audirvana > Wireworld Starlight USB cable > Calyx 24/192 DAC > RSA Intruder balanced in to balanced out > Moon Audio Silver Dragon Balanced cable > JH Audio 13 FreqPhase
(crap that's a lot of money sitting here!)

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 90
I'm a little bit confused by their website with the freqphase. Does this mean the JH13 and JH16 are discontinued but replaced by this JH13 or JH16 with freqphase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back