JH Audio Freqphase, who's upgraded from the older models?
Nov 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #17 of 90
Yes and I popped for the 13 as well. Did so at the last opportunity so it will likely be a while until I get them. I really like my Grados so it's not like I was chasing my tail but I know these will stop me looking at flavors. I really enjoyed the original's balance, clarity and perspective. Being a bit more cohesive, even and focused sure wont hurt.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 90
Quote:
Ok guys, 
My JH 13's with the FreqPhase got here today. In spite of me sending my 16's in to use as the impressions, these don't fit as tight as my 16's, but they are still sealing good enough. This can be cured with another coat of acrylic or whatever it is they put on them. I'm sure there's a bit of shrinkage as with any molded part but they've been able to make small adjustments like that on my other pair so I'll call them Monday for a return number so they can make them just a bit tighter. 

So, the first word that enters my mind when I hear these is clarity. Cleaner, more open with better image location than the 16's. The bass seems about right and in line with the rest of the music, and not the dominating feature as you have with the 16. The annoying high frequency sibilance is gone too. I think they got it just right with this version. I've been sucked back into the computer room numerous times today to listen. 

It's taking some adjustment because I still expect the big bass of the 16, but the 13's are definitely more neutral and accurate. The 16's are more fun with the monster bass, but I could live with either. 

Now, will they honor the Thanksgiving sale price? 

iMac > iTunes W/ Pure Music or Audirvana > Wireworld Starlight USB cable > Calyx 24/192 DAC > RSA Intruder balanced in to balanced out > Moon Audio Silver Dragon Balanced cable > JH Audio 13 FreqPhase
(crap that's a lot of money sitting here!)

Thanks for that. I always prefered the 13 to 16 for the response reasons you gave. 16s have great balance for stage but not for me and my uses. Nice to hear that you notice the improved phase character as Jerry describes it.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 90
My 13's are back in FL today to get another coat. They should fit perfectly after this (I hope).

I'm a little ticked at at JH however. They had a Thanksgiving sale and would not apply the discount to my order even though I didn't have the phones in my hands at that point (and I was a repeat customer). 
On the other hand I just bought a new fridge at Lowe's a couple weeks ago and it went on sale afterwords. They honored the sale since it was within 30 days of my purchase. 
You'd think that was the way most companies do business, but I guess not all 
frown.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 90
JH isnt a large national corporation though. I dont know how much volume they do but i'd almost consider them a small business.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #22 of 90
We can hope but they've never done that sort of thing in the past either. With folks waiting up to a month or more depending on the amount of orders on hand, a 3 day sale can become 10% of their business at 20% off. They do these sales every year. I finally popped and the latest tweak had a hand in it. Look at it this way, you're already getting something better than what you ordered.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #23 of 90
Quote:
Ok guys, 
My JH 13's with the FreqPhase got here today. In spite of me sending my 16's in to use as the impressions, these don't fit as tight as my 16's, but they are still sealing good enough. This can be cured with another coat of acrylic or whatever it is they put on them. I'm sure there's a bit of shrinkage as with any molded part but they've been able to make small adjustments like that on my other pair so I'll call them Monday for a return number so they can make them just a bit tighter. 

So, the first word that enters my mind when I hear these is clarity. Cleaner, more open with better image location than the 16's. The bass seems about right and in line with the rest of the music, and not the dominating feature as you have with the 16. The annoying high frequency sibilance is gone too. I think they got it just right with this version. I've been sucked back into the computer room numerous times today to listen. 

It's taking some adjustment because I still expect the big bass of the 16, but the 13's are definitely more neutral and accurate. The 16's are more fun with the monster bass, but I could live with either. 

Now, will they honor the Thanksgiving sale price? 

iMac > iTunes W/ Pure Music or Audirvana > Wireworld Starlight USB cable > Calyx 24/192 DAC > RSA Intruder balanced in to balanced out > Moon Audio Silver Dragon Balanced cable > JH Audio 13 FreqPhase
(crap that's a lot of money sitting here!)

I got my JH16 a few days ago, and I don't really feel that they have "monster" bass.  It's there.  But dependent on the song I wish there was more, or it's just right.  I feel the sustained notes are powerful, but kick drum, or bass "punches" seems slightly lacking.  I ended up using Digital Sound Processing and pushed the 30hz range up about 7db, 60hz up about 5db, and 125hz up about 3db. 

I guess it could depend on the amp/setup you're using.  Through my iPhone it's hit or miss on a given track, on my Alienware M18X (which has a very nice sound card, with a full 12 band EQ) it sounds very nice, but I have to apply the EQ settings to add more low end.  Through my Onkyo Nr616 receiver it sounds about the same as my M18X.

Next year maybe I'll invest in a headphone amp.  But I don't find the bass over powering, I read review after review that said it's a bass monster, and I find the 16 very very balanced.  The 13 would feel extremely lacking to me if they have less bass. (and yes, I have a good seal)

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #24 of 90
Quote:

I got my JH16 a few days ago, and I don't really feel that they have "monster" bass.  It's there.  But dependent on the song I wish there was more, or it's just right.  I feel the sustained notes are powerful, but kick drum, or bass "punches" seems slightly lacking.  I ended up using Digital Sound Processing and pushed the 30hz range up about 7db, 60hz up about 5db, and 125hz up about 3db. 

I guess it could depend on the amp/setup you're using.  Through my iPhone it's hit or miss on a given track, on my Alienware M18X (which has a very nice sound card, with a full 12 band EQ) it sounds very nice, but I have to apply the EQ settings to add more low end.  Through my Onkyo Nr616 receiver it sounds about the same as my M18X.

Next year maybe I'll invest in a headphone amp.  But I don't find the bass over powering, I read review after review that said it's a bass monster, and I find the 16 very very balanced.  The 13 would feel extremely lacking to me if they have less bass. (and yes, I have a good seal)

It doesn't sound like you have a good seal. 
Do this: Put your 16's in and with no music playing rub your thumb and finger together near your ears. Can you hear it? if so, you don't have a good seal. 

The 16's sound great straight out of an iPod. An amp is a small improvement with these particular phones, but won't bring a large bass increase.
What kind of music and file types are you using?

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #25 of 90
Quote:

It doesn't sound like you have a good seal. 
Do this: Put your 16's in and with no music playing rub your thumb and finger together near your ears. Can you hear it? if so, you don't have a good seal. 

The 16's sound great straight out of an iPod. An amp is a small improvement with these particular phones, but won't bring a large bass increase.
What kind of music and file types are you using?

I have a good seal.  Rubbing my fingers I can't hear them, they isolate as good or better than my TF10 did with comply foam tips.

I'm not saying they are "lacking" in bass.  I expected more out of Quad Bass drivers, and from all the reviews that call them bass monsters, I disagree.  They are not lacking, but not monsters.  The SF5 EB were Bass Monsters. (although sounded like crap). 

I never claimed the 16s didn't sound good.  They sound super crisp, and clean.  Only that the bass isn't "monstrous" as others claim.  They can handle the bass, and if you eq the sound, behind an amp they will shake your ear drums out.  But with no DSP, or "flat" eq they sound very balanced, not "monster bass".  Alot of it has to do with the song I feel.  Some songs the bass feels powerful, others it feels slightly lacking, which could be how the artist intended it to be.

My self, my iPhone EQ, "bass booster" setting lowers the mids/highs and over all drops sound quality, so I just leave it off, and live with it.  On my PC/Receiver I add the values I stated above giving the music extra bass.

But yes, I have a good seal, rubbing my fingers it can hardly be heard at all i have to strain to hear it... and holding a conversation with someone with them in my ears is almost impossible.

I'm not knocking the quality of the sound, and maybe it's my bass-head ways... I find them very balanced, and I'm happy they are tuned the way they are, because on some songs i think if they had more bass it would be over powering.  The way they are tuned seems to be a perfect balance for "general" listening, where anything will sound good.  Then you can EQ and tweak the sound to your liking for that song, or overall.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #26 of 90
JH-16 are most definitely not balanced.. those are the JH-13.. the JH-16 is for bass heads and you must be an EXTREME bass head for needing up increase the volume of bass even more.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #27 of 90
Quote:
JH-16 are most definitely not balanced.. those are the JH-13.. the JH-16 is for bass heads and you must be an EXTREME bass head for needing up increase the volume of bass even more.

coming from an Audioengine A5 owner, I'm surprised. Those things are super warm. I can't even listen to the A5+s I have lying around.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #28 of 90
thapchild,

You won't notice the bass increase of the JH16 until you try a JH13 after it, or vice-versa.  Either way, they both provide phenomenal experiences.  If you are happy keep rolling on and enjoy.  I'm stoked for you 
beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #30 of 90
Thapchild, to your original point, and the reason I think this thread was started is really the difference the new freqphase tech has had on the bass response. I just ordered a pair of 16's and I am curious too. This my first CIEM, and I based my decision similarly on the reviews of this community, and more specifically those on the 13's and the 16's. Although I like a clean sound, and would not consider myself a basshead, it seems I like a little more bass than many (ok maybe I'm in denial). I'm just wondering, as you are, if the freqphase tech brings the 16's sound a little closer to neutral in comparison to the previous version. I don't know if we will get a clear opinion until some lucky people with both express their views. Either way, I can't wait for them to arrive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back