JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 21, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #1,951 of 3,122
There is a slight emphasis on the vocals but nothing like the SE846 or LCD-2 where vocals are thick in your face. I think the Angie sounds pretty neutral overall and even across the board. It definitely doesn't have recessed mids... but to say up front vocals would also kind of be an overstatement IMHO. The vocals are very spacious and airy, lot of lift/air to female vocals especially. Sounds fantastic.

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #1,952 of 3,122
There is a slight emphasis on the vocals but nothing like the SE846 or LCD-2 where vocals are thick in your face. I think the Angie sounds pretty neutral overall and even across the board. It definitely doesn't have recessed mids... but to say up front vocals would also kind of be an overstatement IMHO. The vocals are very spacious and airy, lot of lift/air to female vocals especially. Sounds fantastic.

This!

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #1,953 of 3,122
My guess is you did not have a good seal in-ear when you tested the Angie Universal. When that happens, the highs remain, while the bass and a lot of the mids leak out. This seems very much like what you "thought" was the Angie sound.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed you have had some experience with the Fiio X7, do you think it would brighten up the Angie's more than the AK120ii does? It's gotten pretty good reviews from what I can tell.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #1,954 of 3,122
Thanks for the reply. I noticed you have had some experience with the Fiio X7, do you think it would brighten up the Angie's more than the AK120ii does? It's gotten pretty good reviews from what I can tell.

The X7 is indeed brighter than the AK120II, but I can't promise it will be enough for your tastes.

The QP1R or N6 might be... maybe.

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,955 of 3,122
Can any small-mid size eared headfiers comment on the difference between Angie 1 & 2 size wise? Got a pair of 1s for a really good price, but they are humongous. I actually have to bend a part of my outer ear down to wedge them in properly, so comforts not great. However when briefly sealed they sound really excellent (can only manage this with complys, my go-to spiral dots can't hack the plate tectonic levels of pressure involved). I can return the 1s and get 2s, but for about40% extra cost. Are the 2s noticeably smaller in ear to justify the extra expense?

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,956 of 3,122
Angie 1 are indeed huge, I have pretty big ears and they still look huge and feel weird at first, although they actually fit fine and I'm getting used to it.

I am still in search of the perfect tips though.

The large foams fit fine, but I just don't find foam tips comfortable. I think it's because they soften with body heat, and that means the weight of the pieces allows it to move around in the ear a bit.

A silicone tip keeps it secure in place, and that actually makes them more comfortable, but I can't find a compatible tip that is big enough to seal without really ramming it deep in my ear.

I basically need a large/XL silicone tip that fits well. Any recommendations?

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,957 of 3,122
  Angie 1 are indeed huge, I have pretty big ears and they still look huge and feel weird at first, although they actually fit fine and I'm getting used to it.

The large foams fit fine, but I just don't find foam tips comfortable. I think it's because they soften with body heat, and that means the weight of the pieces allows it to move around in the ear a bit.

A silicone tip keeps it secure in place, and that actually makes them more comfortable, but I can't find a compatible tip that is big enough to seal without really ramming it deep in my ear.

http://www.amazon.com/AUVIO%C2%AE-Silicone-Tips-Cord-Manager/dp/B007Z7YEVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458591141&sr=8-1&keywords=AUVIO+silicone+replacement+tips

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #1,958 of 3,122

I've tried the large Spinfits and they just aren't big enough for me, but the large Spiral Dots do seal, although they have a habit of coming off in my ear now and then, have you tried any of these?

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,959 of 3,122
These shootouts are quite exhausting. I know this is long overdue but for those who are curious or looking for a portable DAC/amp for their JH Audio Angie.

My Personal Rankings (From best to worst)

#1 - Chord Hugo ($2,499)
  1. I'm aware there are a few who aren't a fan of the tonality of this DAC. Some say it's too clinical/analytical, lacks soul, etc.
  2. Personally, I enjoy this DAC as a portable for its resolution and technical achievement. I think it presents the entire frequency range accurately and without compromise.
  3. The adjustable bass on the Angie also allows me to get the right amount of low-end response I need. I just really, really enjoy this Hugo for my portable needs.
  4. Effortless!
  5. What's better on the Hugo?
    1. Musicality
    2. More natural vocals
    3. More dynamic
    4. Separation
    5. Transparency
    6. More detailed
    7. Better layering
    8. Realistic soundstage
    9. Treble extension
    10. More balanced tonality
    11. Instruments sound more realistic to my ears
  6. What's better on the Mojo?
    1. It obliterates the Hugo on the low-end. No question.
    2. There's more body/texture, more meat to the bones.
    3. Smoother and buttery vocals (at the expense of some micro-details)
    4. Forward and sweeter mids. Lush and seductive.
    5. Bass on the Mojo is more detailed and tighter. The Mojo is just warmer overall...almost dark.
  7. Mojo melts you, Hugo teleports you.
  8. Mojo is like a chocolate sundae...Hugo is like a low-fat yogurt.

#2 - Chord Mojo ($599)
  1. To be completely honest, I think most would prefer the Mojo over the Hugo.
  2. By far the best and juiciest bass/sub-bass of the bunch. Textured, detailed, accurate, tight, and plenty of heft. It is pretty damn awesome and addictive.
  3. There's so much hype for the Mojo...and for good reason. This ranking chart is a bit skewed as the Mojo, to my ears, is without a doubt, significantly better than the Geek Out V2 (which I love and still recommend to my friends). At $599 (double the price of the Geek Out V2) I think it offers more than double the performance.
  4. Found it to be sibilant at times with a bit of harshness in the treble region. Could probably be corrected with a Moon USB cable.
  5. It's not only has this lushness that is incredibly fun to listen to, it has great layering, a lush midrange, and a realism most of the other DACs in this comparison don't have.
  6. Sometimes I even prefer it to my Chord Hugo, not just for bass heavy songs but due to the fact I don't need an outlet to recharge it.
  7. I'm not surprised some use this for the Mojo 2-channel setups. It really does sound that good.
  8. If you find yourself tired of constantly looking for the next best portable DAC/amp, just get a Mojo and be done with it.

#3 - Aurender Flow ($1,295)
  1. I purchased this after listening to it at CanJam SoCal 2015. It sounded close to the Hugo at the time but after months of listening I just think they're different DACs.
  2. I don't think the Aurender is as resolving as the Hugo and comes off a bit softer.
  3. Technically, it's still better than the Mojo IMO (Review coming). It does sound more like a high-end DAC. It just wasn't engaging enough for me.
  4. IMO, those who value the technicals and a more accurate/true presentation would prefer the Flow over the Mojo. Personally, the Mojo just seduces me into submission.

#4 LH Labs Geek Out V2 ($299)
  1. This is my go-to portable DAC as it doesn't run on battery (like the Mojo/Hugo). Just plug it into my laptop and go.
  2. I think this DAC is a great value and most would be happy with it.
  3. The vocals aren't as smooth and 3D as the top 3 DACs in this comparison but I think most will find it enjoyable nevertheless.
  4. A bit more refined over the V1.

#5 LH Labs Geek Out 100 ($169)
  1. This DAC is not just a great value as I would recommend it over the the last 3 DACs in the comparison at any price...by a large margin.
  2. Great low-end impact (even compared to the V2) and just fun overall.
  3. It might not as be as technically accurate, coherent, or resolving as the V2 but I could imagine some would prefer this even over the V2. It's that good.

#6 Meridian Explorer2 ($289)
  1. The Meridian was actually my first portable DAC. I enjoyed the more rounded, laid-back, and organic quality. Fantastic if you listen to vocals often.
  2. Outside of the Mojo, it had the heaviest bass response. I enjoyed it initially but later found it to be too veiled/dark for my tastes.
  3. Treble shine seems a bit subdued.
  4. It does have a "high-end DAC" sound but I felt it just smeared the micro-details and was missing too much up top.
  5. Wasn't engaging with live acoustic/strings. Lacks sparkle.
  6. Delineation between the players is a bit smeared and the imaging isn't as precise as the Geek Out or even the Dragonfly.
  7. For hyper details and tighter bass and overall better PRaT...I wouldn't recommend the Meridian.
  8. It's smooth and sweet but wasn't engaging enough for my tastes. Gimme my sparkle! This does pair well with really bright headphones like the Final Audio Hope VI. It also supports MQA :)

#7 DACMagic XS ($169)
  1. Great value product...if you're not spending more than a few hundred dollars on your IEMs/headphones.
  2. It's a bit harsh at times but has a "fun" tonality and will be a great upgrade over your PC/Mac sound card. I just wish there were more dynamics and organics.
  3. For the same price I would just get a GO V1 as it's far superior sonically in every way.
  4. Much more smoother and coherent than the Dragonfly

#8 Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 ($148.65)
  1. This much hyped portable DAC/amp doesn't need an introduction. I'm going to go against the grain on this one. This was by far my least favorite from the bunch. It's basically an X-ray into the music with extraordinary resolution and that's pretty much it. It's probably more detailed/transparent than anything else on this list but at a cost of pretty much everything else. Is that how music sounds in the real world? No.
  2. Vocals are largely inaccurate (not even close), clinical midrange and lacks coherency.
  3. It has an abysmal amount of bass and I feel like I'm taking a final exam listening to this thing. It may work better with warmer/darker headphones but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I guess at this price point, it's fitting.
  4. FWIW, there were many tracks where the Dragonfly sounded REALLY good.
  5. One of the biggest flaws of the Dragonfly is the "breakage" it does to the music. You lose a realistic sense of atmosphere...it's almost synthesized music.
  6. It's hyper detailed but unnatural in its presentation.

More here:
https://audiobacon.net/2016/03/21/portable-usb-ampdacs-shootout-with-the-custom-jh-audio-angie-iem/

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #1,961 of 3,122
Joining the angle universal club soon to hook up with the chord mojo and ak100mkii

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #1,963 of 3,122
I'm joining Angie family real soon~ Waiting it to arrive, can't wait to try it. 
basshead.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #1,964 of 3,122

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,965 of 3,122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back