JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 20, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #1,938 of 3,122
  Hi, I just got the JVC Spiral Dot tips and was wondering if you guys using it push them all the way in the bore or let some gap, like 1~2 mm ?
They are shorter than originals and if press them all the way down they get to the same level as the bore ports - any inconvenient other than beeing more exposed to wax?

Regards

Till now, I left a bit of overhang.  But I'll probably try pushing them all the way.  One thing that drives me, is that my right tip gets stuck in my ear upon removal.  They don't seem tight enough on the bore.  Any thoughts?  Medium tips.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,939 of 3,122
Till now, I left a bit of overhang.  But I'll probably try pushing them all the way.  One thing that drives me, is that my right tip gets stuck in my ear upon removal.  They don't seem tight enough on the bore.  Any thoughts?  Medium tips.

I don't feel the need of pushing all the way in, the bore is very wide so I let them 2 mm out. It didn't happen to me but as the angie bore is flat, its pretty normal for the tip to get stucked upon removal, it really isn't very tight but anyway, they weren't meant for Angies, right :wink:

Regards

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,940 of 3,122
The only tips I've had stick in my ear when I pulled out my iems are the SpinFits.  That goes for every tip and iem I've used.  Maybe the core is too smooth?

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #1,942 of 3,122
  The only tips I've had stick in my ear when I pulled out my iems are the SpinFits.  That goes for every tip and iem I've used.  Maybe the core is too smooth?

I'm thinkin':  What about a bit of electrician's tape carefully wrapped around the bore?  I mean sometimes, they can fall off with just a bit of friction.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,943 of 3,122
I'm thinkin':  What about a bit of electrician's tape carefully wrapped around the bore?  I mean sometimes, they can fall off with just a bit of friction.

Don't do that.

When removing the IEM from your ear, pull downward, or upward, first, until you break the seal, then pull out. This breaks the suction that holds the tips in.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,944 of 3,122
Nothing sticky... it will stick everywhere, not just where you want it to.  Maybe wrap a bit of paper around the nozzle and see if you can still push the tip over it.  

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #1,946 of 3,122
So I've had my custom Angie's for about a week now, and I'm still trying to get used to the sound. I had an extended demo last spring of the Universal Angie I and the Layla Universal and I actually liked the sound of the Angie's better for my tastes. Mostly alt rock music, but I listen to all genres except for Classical normally. I like extended highs / treble, nice bass, clarity and not a ton of midrange. I finally pulled the trigger on the custom Angie's earlier this month and they do not seem to have the same extended highs as the Universals and seem to be more of mid-range focused.

I am using an AK120ii as a source, previously I had an AK240 when I had the universal Angie and Layla demos. I spent $200 on a Black Dragon V2 Balanced cable which I installed on the Custom Angie's as soon as I got them. I went back to the stock cable today and don't notice much of a difference. 

I'm trying to decide if it is the source that is causing the mid-range focus or I thought maybe the cable, as it is very warm sounding, which I'm not a big fan of. 

I've subscribed to the thought that you shouldn't use an EQ to tweak the settings, but I might try it.

Any thoughts or other hints in regards to customs would be appreciated!

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #1,948 of 3,122
So I've had my custom Angie's for about a week now, and I'm still trying to get used to the sound. I had an extended demo last spring of the Universal Angie I and the Layla Universal and I actually liked the sound of the Angie's better for my tastes. Mostly alt rock music, but I listen to all genres except for Classical normally. I like extended highs / treble, nice bass, clarity and not a ton of midrange. I finally pulled the trigger on the custom Angie's earlier this month and they do not seem to have the same extended highs as the Universals and seem to be more of mid-range focused.

I am using an AK120ii as a source, previously I had an AK240 when I had the universal Angie and Layla demos. I spent $200 on a Black Dragon V2 Balanced cable which I installed on the Custom Angie's as soon as I got them. I went back to the stock cable today and don't notice much of a difference. 

I'm trying to decide if it is the source that is causing the mid-range focus or I thought maybe the cable, as it is very warm sounding, which I'm not a big fan of. 

I've subscribed to the thought that you shouldn't use an EQ to tweak the settings, but I might try it.

My guess is you did not have a good seal in-ear when you tested the Angie Universal. When that happens, the highs remain, while the bass and a lot of the mids leak out. This seems very much like what you "thought" was the Angie sound.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,949 of 3,122
So I'm looking for  a place that do 3D Scan but allow me to send in my impression to order Custom for other Brands like 1964 Ears, Noble, JH Audio, etc...
I really want a set of Custom IEM for a long time now, but the getting my Ears Impressions always put me off until these 3D scan come out.
I'm in San Diego, CA area.

Any help would be appreciated, thx.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #1,950 of 3,122

The Angie II are very vocal forward as Jerry Harvey spoke about in his presentation regarding the new full metal universals. I too like the same types of music and love extended highs and with my UIEM and a good seal, I get great high but it is more mid focused. Are you getting a good fit with your customs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back