JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 9, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #1,621 of 3,122
  and that expensive dap was ??? 

:) 

well no need to answer as i know which dap you are referring to

My LPG? 
blink.gif

Of course I'm referring to the AK380, but like you said -- you knew that! 
etysmile.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #1,622 of 3,122
The 380, as it is in his sig.

I have had no luck long-term with Spinfits.  Can't get a good seal with Ms or Ls, at least not for a good long brisk walk, and I find isolation is much less than with Comply.

I use the Comply Comforts, as the material is smooth.  Don't the others have that nubbly material?  

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,623 of 3,122
I find spin fit you have to get one size smaller and just let it go as deep as possible for the sealing. Overall after a week I prefer the spin a whole lot more

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #1,624 of 3,122
  The 380, as it is in his sig.

I have had no luck long-term with Spinfits.  Can't get a good seal with Ms or Ls, at least not for a good long brisk walk, and I find isolation is much less than with Comply.

I use the Comply Comforts, as the material is smooth.  Don't the others have that nubbly material?  

I had the same problems before the lucky discovery, but as you've tried both M and L, I guess it doesn't work for everyone.  I still like the Comply, but the Spinfit is what's happily on the Angies (for now).

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #1,625 of 3,122

My LPG? 
blink.gif

Of course I'm referring to the AK380, but like you said -- you knew that! 
etysmile.gif

man I honestly do not want you to dislike your ak380 at all, as I was in the same boat like you, I wanted to deny the facts about the ak380 becuase I paid so much, but then I could not hold it and let out all my frustrations about the ak380+amp and I decided never ever will I follow a hype or be part of one, but well I can tell you this I wish I kept my cheap ak100ii instead of buying the ak380+amp combo, the ak100ii was simply amazing and justified its price 100%

now I am very worried to even buy iems in fear it does not match well with ak380

Here are my findings:
1- sony z5 with ak380 so dull
2- sony xb90ex with ak 380 so dull
3- asg 2.5 with ak380 so dull
4- senheisser momentum iem with ak 380 so dull
5- Shure 846 with ak 380 amazing

So I need to know before hand how well the iem that I want to buy will work with the ak380, and I need to rely on feedback from people who have the ak380 and heard the shure 846 with and how other iems will compare.

I did ask that in the ak380 thread but that thread is not active

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #1,626 of 3,122
To chime in on spinfits, yes I have tried and they don't complement the Angies. Im thinking of going with custom tips. Anyone has that experience? 

Also thinking of a custom cable upgrade. Anyone knows other than Moon-audio, who makes cable for the Angie?

Feb 10, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,627 of 3,122
To chime in on spinfits, yes I have tried and they don't complement the Angies. Im thinking of going with custom tips. Anyone has that experience? 

Also thinking of a custom cable upgrade. Anyone knows other than Moon-audio, who makes cable for the Angie?

To be fair the SpinFits don't compliment your ears with the Angie. Many like the SpinFits with the Angie, including myself. Many don't, but that doesn't mean it's exclusively an Angie issue.

I found these places that make cables for the Siren series with a quick Google search:

http://www.beataudiocables.com/options/

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=182

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4751

There may be more, but I'm not sure.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #1,628 of 3,122
  I can tell you this I wish I kept my cheap ak100ii instead of buying the ak380+amp combo, the ak100ii was simply amazing and justified its price 100%

That's the problem with this hobby.  If you keep looking for better/different, it may eventually bite you in the butt.  Figuring out what you like and sticking with it is so hard, because there is always something new being talked about/hyped (not in a mean way) and it's human nature to think, "I gotta get me one of those."   It's hard to just stop.  But sometimes it's best to just stop and enjoy what you have.  I've been as guilty as the rest of you, I'm not saying I'm not.  But at this point I've decided to stop and enjoy what I have for a good long while.  I've found sound I like, and can't really logically see why I should try to better it.  I had to fight myself over the Mojo recently, but I did and I'm glad.  And I really wanted to try it.  

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,629 of 3,122
  man I honestly do not want you to dislike your ak380 at all, as I was in the same boat like you, I wanted to deny the facts about the ak380 becuase I paid so much, but then I could not hold it and let out all my frustrations about the ak380+amp and I decided never ever will I follow a hype or be part of one, but well I can tell you this I wish I kept my cheap ak100ii instead of buying the ak380+amp combo, the ak100ii was simply amazing and justified its price 100%

now I am very worried to even buy iems in fear it does not match well with ak380

Here are my findings:

So I need to know before hand how well the iem that I want to buy will work with the ak380, and I need to rely on feedback from people who have the ak380 and heard the shure 846 with and how other iems will compare.

I use Layla with the combo right now and i used Angie before for some weeks. Both are very good with the combo, i think you can´t go wrong with Angie 2 or Rosie.
There are used Angies in the FS-Thread, maybe that´s an option for you. 

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,630 of 3,122
Hey, guys! Just got my CIEM Angies and testing them out. I will write back later but I was curious in the mean time:

With a proper fit and seal should you get resonance in your head when talking? My cheap universals fit deep and tight and I don't have as pronounced vocal resonance in my head as with these CIEMs.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #1,631 of 3,122

Here are my findings:

I was worried for a few days, but now very happy with the AK380.  I know where you can get a great deal on an AK120ii! 
etysmile.gif

As for IEMs/CIEMs, I can tell you the Angie matches up very nicely with the AK380(IMHO).  I'm waiting for my second shipment from Empire Ears for CIEMs. (USPS lost the first one)!! 
mad.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #1,632 of 3,122

I was worried for a few days, but now very happy with the AK380.  I know where you can get a great deal on an AK120ii! 
etysmile.gif

As for IEMs/CIEMs, I can tell you the Angie matches up very nicely with the AK380(IMHO).  I'm waiting for my second shipment from Empire Ears for CIEMs. (USPS lost the first one)!! 
mad.gif

i am ok with the shure 846 and ak380+ amp combo without eq but if i will sell it i will go to cowon p1 or cowon s

and invest the difference in buying a new totl iem

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #1,633 of 3,122
  People who have tried both JH13 and Angie,

Based on what I have read so far, I have gathered that Angie has a slightly wider soundstage than the 13. Apart from the size of the soundstage, I am also interested in knowing, which one sounds like the listener is in the audience as opposed to being on the stage. (Is this what people refer to as Laid-Back vs Forward sounding?) I am looking for something that sounds like #4 in this picture below:

Sound signature and tonality wise, I am looking for something similar to JH13 or Angie. Or, if you could please point me in the direction of any other CIEMs that offer what I am looking for. Budget $1200. Preferably US based manufactures.

Thanks for your help!

I currently own both models (JH13pro is the original, non-freq) and you pretty much are correct with their respective sound signatures. JH 13pro does have  a smaller soundstage (in relation to the Angie - but still quite admirable) - much akin to being on stage with the performers while the Angie's feel more like sitting in the front row. The Angies are definitely more laid back with the music washing over you while the 13pros are much more lively and dynamic and up front. Angie's have a noticeably larger soundstage and the feeling of more air but with the 13pros you can definitely notice more instrument separation - it's much easier for me to identify the different instruments in any music passage - the snares, cymbals, piano notes - whereas the Angie's it feels more uniform and less layered. I personally prefer the JH13pro since it sounds more involving and musical but if you want something a bit more refined, the Angie's are the better bet.

In summation and with reference to your diagram, I'd say the JH13pros are #3 and Angie's are #4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back