JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 11, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,636 of 3,122
  Hey Guys,

Long time lurker , first time poster.

I recently got my angie's and i was wondering what DAP goes well with it?

any recommendation would be awesome. Thanks

Tuned for AK devices.  But they seem to work well with many DAPs.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #1,637 of 3,122
Tuned for AK devices.  But they seem to work well with many DAPs.
I highly doubt the veracity of the claim of "tuned for AK", or at least I am confounded by such a statement. On AK's website, for every collaboration iem they do, they claim it is tuned for the balanced output of their flagship players.

The old Layla was marketed as 'originally tuned for AK240 balanced', then suddenly the Layla II (and pretty much every full metal jacket JH iem that recently came out) is now marketed as 'tuned for AK380 balanced out', when 240 and 380 utilise completely different DACs and sound completely different. So I highly doubt why identical iems (Layla / Layla II) with same SQ would be simultaneously "originally tuned" for both 240 and 380. It seems they simply much state that every crossover iem they have done with other manufacturers are tuned for the balanced out of whatever flagship AK DAP is at the time.

I'm not denying the synergy of Siren Series and AKs, but we probably shouldn't take the tuned for AK thing too seriously. I have a feeling that it's just a marketing ploy to get people to buy both as a "perfect match" so their money wouldn't be spent elsewhere on other non AK related iems and players.

But who am I to talk, I am a perfect victim of this exact ploy I myself realize and acknowledge XD

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,638 of 3,122
But who am I to talk, I am a perfect victim of this exact ploy I myself realize and acknowledge XD

Sorry, this made me laugh this morning - thank you!

CJ
:)

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,639 of 3,122

I currently own both models (JH13pro is the original, non-freq) and you pretty much are correct with their respective sound signatures. JH 13pro does have  a smaller soundstage (in relation to the Angie - but still quite admirable) - much akin to being on stage with the performers while the Angie's feel more like sitting in the front row. The Angies are definitely more laid back with the music washing over you while the 13pros are much more lively and dynamic and up front. Angie's have a noticeably larger soundstage and the feeling of more air but with the 13pros you can definitely notice more instrument separation - it's much easier for me to identify the different instruments in any music passage - the snares, cymbals, piano notes - whereas the Angie's it feels more uniform and less layered. I personally prefer the JH13pro since it sounds more involving and musical but if you want something a bit more refined, the Angie's are the better bet.

In summation and with reference to your diagram, I'd say the JH13pros are #3 and Angie's are #4.

Thanks buddy 
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,641 of 3,122
Hey Guys,

Long time lurker , first time poster.

I recently got my angie's and i was wondering what DAP goes well with it?

any recommendation would be awesome. Thanks

The Angie sounds great from my X5ii/Rx stack, to the X7, to the Cayin N6, to the AK240, to the Mojo. They pretty much pair well with almost everything. It would help if you gave more information about what you're looking for as I find the Angie pretty revealing of the source. Also, the bass attenuator allows for quite a bit of flexibility when pairing with gear.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,642 of 3,122
  i am ok with the shure 846 and ak380+ amp combo without eq but if i will sell it i will go to cowon p1 or cowon s

and invest the difference in buying a new totl iem

I looked at the Cowon, too.  The biggest concern with it is battery life, something important to me and the way I use it.  It's one of the main reasons I love the LPG.  If anything has better battery life and SQ than the LPG, I haven't heard of it.  And yeah, we're off topic -- and it's not even close! 
basshead.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #1,643 of 3,122
I looked at the Cowon, too.  The biggest concern with it is battery life, something important to me and the way I use it.  It's one of the main reasons I love the LPG.  If anything has better battery life and SQ than the LPG, I haven't heard of it.  And yeah, we're off topic -- and it's not even close! :basshead:

Try the PLENUE D. I have it and the M, close in sq but the M is slightly better. For the price, nothing better. People have ditched their expensive AK players for the D (check the D thread). Both are awesome with Angie.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #1,644 of 3,122
Just wanted to make a post about some of the differences between the Angie and Angie 2. I've had Angie 2 now for about three days. I owned multiple Angie's that I had to return for various defects.

Sound wise, I can't tell a difference between them. I'm going off memory so there could be minute differences. My first impression was that of them sounding alike.

Build quality wise there is a huge difference. The first thing that struck me was the size. They are probably 25% smaller in size and fit much better in the ear.

The cable now has a straight plug and is slightly thinner. When attaching the cables to the ear pieces it is a lot tighter of a fit. It fits so tight that you could probably use them just fine without screwing down the collars. I think this is a huge upgrade because the old Angie had a lot of issues with the cable and sound cutting out. I don't think that's going to happen with Angie 2.

They also changed the red aluminum case into more of a matte finish to match the red on the ear pieces.

Is it worth $200 more than the original? I don't know. If I still had the old Angie I probably wouldn't upgrade. If I was deciding between the 2 I would probably pay the extra for the Angie 2 for the size and better build quality.

Attached is picture of Angie 2 in ear so you can see the size difference.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #1,645 of 3,122
The Angie sounds great from my X5ii/Rx stack, to the X7, to the Cayin N6, to the AK240, to the Mojo. They pretty much pair well with almost everything. It would help if you gave more information about what you're looking for as I find the Angie pretty revealing of the source. Also, the bass attenuator allows for quite a bit of flexibility when pairing with gear.

i was thinking a 1 DAP and 1 iem solution hence i was thinking of the ak100ii. but like most people say i dont wanna get suckered into their marketing ploy. im currently using 1st gen x5, so i think its time to upgrade.I'm also thinking of acoustic research m2. anyone got any ideas about those?

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,646 of 3,122
  i was thinking a 1 DAP and 1 iem solution hence i was thinking of the ak100ii. but like most people say i dont wanna get suckered into their marketing ploy. im currently using 1st gen x5, so i think its time to upgrade.I'm also thinking of acoustic research m2. anyone got any ideas about those?

get the mojo, soon there will be add on modules that will enable u to use it as a dap

i own the ak380 dap and amp and honestlt after owning it i would be happier if i bought something else for less price

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #1,648 of 3,122
  but im curious about the balance out from the AK players. 

nothing that exciting to report about the balanced from ak380 as i am using my shure 846 balanced and se

honestly its not that much different, maybe balanced is slightly better on ak380 than se

but mojo is 10 times better se than balanced ak380

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #1,649 of 3,122
I agree about the Mojo / Angie pairing. Best I've heard the Angie.

Regarding the AK balanced vs the Mojo SE the Mojo is still better IMO. Balanced sounds better than SE on the AK240, but Mojo is better still. You have to understand that balanced output is great on a lot of gear, and I use balanced with the AK240 and the Liquid Carbon and HA-1, but the Mojo doesn't need it. Actually, the discrete low noise analogue output of the Mojo would be compromised with balanced output acording to Rob Watts in the vein of creating the cleanest, shortest signal path to the headphone. The analogue stage of the Mojo is very different than the typical amp stage in devices and doesn't use opamps in the signal path. It's like a direct line to the DAC and is exceedingly transparent.

Feb 11, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #1,650 of 3,122
I looked at the Cowon, too.  The biggest concern with it is battery life, something important to me and the way I use it.  It's one of the main reasons I love the LPG.  If anything has better battery life and SQ than the LPG, I haven't heard of it.  And yeah, we're off topic -- and it's not even close! :basshead:

Battery life and good sound quality? Think you're talking about the Sony ZX2 :p Works great with my Angie, lasts around 30 hours on a charge, and oh yeah, sounds great too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back