JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 5, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #1,592 of 3,122
I joined JH Angie family today hehe. Got a nice used set in Japan for a good price.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #1,595 of 3,122
thanks so much 

i read alot about the tips but could you please recomended tips ? silicon ones that come in are good but hurt my ear while the comply one are comfort but they make the sound lil muddy 

could you please help :)

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,596 of 3,122
Comply are what I use.  I can't get a good seal with silicon- at least after a while.  If you feel Comply are muddy, turn down the bass a bit using the screwdriver.  

I have a set of UERM customs and I find the sound VERY similar to the Angie with the Comply tips, so it may be that you just need to get used to the sound.  Put the bass screws at about 1pm for a while and see how things sound.  If you need more bass turn them up to 1:30pm and see how that is.  Many of us are at just about 2pm.  Also, try the different sizes of Comply included, hold them in your fingers for 30 seconds before inserting, and do the wiggle to get a good seal.  And make sure they are fully on the nozzles, so that they don't protrude too far out past the end of the nozzles.  

Take some time to let your head (and ears) acclimate.  

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,597 of 3,122
Seems similar is not the same as being volume matched. Like I said, even a small dB increase in volume (as low as 1dB) can easily sound better to our ears.. It's how we're wired.

That said, if you like it then go for it!

Its definitely not just the volume, Ive been playing with the volume since I got the angies I was about ready to give up on them and sell them because they were that bad, switching to high gain made a big enough difference that I'm finally actually enjoying them now

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #1,598 of 3,122

For those that are wondering what my thoughts are between the JH Angie and the Noble K10...

To me both IEMs are great with imaging and speed, no doubt they are both extremely capable here. They both show phenomenal detail in the recording and both scale very well with better source gear. The Angie to me has a slightly more forward upper mids/treble with better extension, and the K10 has a slightly more forward lower mids/bass (compared to Angie bass set to 2:00). When listening to the Angie it feels as though each instrument is separated out more than the K10. For me the K10 sounds more like a really good speaker setup and the Angie feels more like headphones, if that makes any sense.

I really REALLY like the presentation of the K10 as its very cohesive as well but very non-fatiguing. Not that the Angie to me is fatiguing at all but the K10 has more of a live room feeling to it. It's hard to put in to words and it doesn't just feel like a tuning difference. Actually, this is very much what I was hoping for.... Something to complement the excellent Angie's so in the end I'm very happy with both.

I have to wonder if the JH FreqPhase is contributing to the slightly better clarity and extension with the Angie and making it feel like the notes are ever so slightly more distinct, while the K10 feels more like speakers in a room.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #1,599 of 3,122
For those that are wondering what my thoughts are between the JH Angie and the Noble K10...

To me both IEMs are great with imaging and speed, no doubt they are both extremely capable here. They both show phenomenal detail in the recording and both scale very well with better source gear. The Angie to me has a slightly more forward upper mids/treble with better extension, and the K10 has a slightly more forward lower mids/bass (compared to Angie bass set to 2:00). When listening to the Angie it feels as though each instrument is separated out more than the K10. For me the K10 sounds more like a really good speaker setup and the Angie feels more like headphones, if that makes any sense.

I really REALLY like the presentation of the K10 as its very cohesive as well but very non-fatiguing. Not that the Angie to me is fatiguing at all but the K10 has more of a live room feeling to it. It's hard to put in to words and it doesn't just feel like a tuning difference. Actually, this is very much what I was hoping for.... Something to complement the excellent Angie's so in the end I'm very happy with both.

I have to wonder if the JH FreqPhase is contributing to the slightly better clarity and extension with the Angie and making it feel like the notes are ever so slightly more distinct, while the K10 feels more like speakers in a room.

Relatively somewhat similar to my comparison of the UERM and the Angie, except the UERM does very well in the upper registers.  The UERM sounds wide and full and the instruments come out of the mix at you.  the Angie sounds wide and like every instrument is located in a certain spot so the overall mix is not the star, the instruments are (they become the mix).  Both sound great, just a bit different presentations.

I was curious about the Noble, but your first paragraph took away that feeling.  I need all the upper end extension I can get (we people of a certain age), which is why I like the Angie and the UERM.

Thanks for posting this.

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #1,600 of 3,122
People who have tried both JH13 and Angie,

Based on what I have read so far, I have gathered that Angie has a slightly wider soundstage than the 13. Apart from the size of the soundstage, I am also interested in knowing, which one sounds like the listener is in the audience as opposed to being on the stage. (Is this what people refer to as Laid-Back vs Forward sounding?) I am looking for something that sounds like #4 in this picture below:

Sound signature and tonality wise, I am looking for something similar to JH13 or Angie. Or, if you could please point me in the direction of any other CIEMs that offer what I am looking for. Budget $1200. Preferably US based manufactures.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #1,601 of 3,122
Relatively somewhat similar to my comparison of the UERM and the Angie, except the UERM does very well in the upper registers.  The UERM sounds wide and full and the instruments come out of the mix at you.  the Angie sounds wide and like every instrument is located in a certain spot so the overall mix is not the star, the instruments are (they become the mix).  Both sound great, just a bit different presentations.

I was curious about the Noble, but your first paragraph took away that feeling.  I need all the upper end extension I can get (we people of a certain age), which is why I like the Angie and the UERM.

Thanks for posting this.

The difference isn't large by any stretch, but it's there. The biggest takeaway is that I might sell the Angie Universal for a custom version. :tongue_smile:

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #1,602 of 3,122
I'm keeping the uni because I can trade it off with the custom UERM.  If I have ear issues or something else is going on, I always have an iem that will fit.  Currently I find that I enjoy the UERM more in the house, sitting, and the Angie while walking.  

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,603 of 3,122
... I might sell the Angie Universal for a custom version.
tongue_smile.gif

Yes, come to the dark side of custom Angies...

Seriously, though - my custom Angies fit like a glove and made me sell my LCDs.  The only issue is that it took me six weeks to get them from JH Audio and I think JH Audio raised the prices a bit.

tongue_smile.gif

CJ

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #1,604 of 3,122
I used spin fit for my Angie now and finally they sound correct. Comply is really bad on them and the normal silicon just don't stay in the ear

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #1,605 of 3,122
After months of using Angie at 2 o'clock bass, and loving it, yesterday I decided to turn the bass all the way up, and haven't changed it back. Change can be wonderfully revitalizing. It's sort of like owning a whole new earphone.

I've explored the bass pots a few times, but always felt 2 o'clock sounded best. I guess I got bored, and Angie is flexible enough to transform into something new and interesting. She's a special girl. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back