JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 15, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #391 of 3,122
  Hi, I am a new owner of an Angie and had a question for current owners.  My accessories included a spare 3.5 mm cable.  I was under the impression that the package was supposed to include a 3.5 mm terminated cable and a balanced dual 2.5 mm cable for connection to A&K dacs.  Am I wrong?  If not, I guess I need to contact A&K to see about getting the balanced cable.  I was not planning to purchase a A&K dac but thought that it may help if I decide to resell down the road.  Thanks!

Mine has a 2.5 TRRS cable included inside that 'make-up jar.  Yes, you might want to contact A&K.

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #393 of 3,122
Hi, I am a new owner of an Angie and had a question for current owners.  My accessories included a spare 3.5 mm cable.  I was under the impression that the package was supposed to include a 3.5 mm terminated cable and a balanced dual 2.5 mm cable for connection to A&K dacs.  Am I wrong?  If not, I guess I need to contact A&K to see about getting the balanced cable.  I was not planning to purchase a A&K dac but thought that it may help if I decide to resell down the road.  Thanks!

Thanks for the confirmation.  I will try contacting A&K.

No, it does doesn't come with a dual terminated cable. It should come with a balanced 2.5mm TRRS cable.

Look at the rings on the cable to see the difference. One will have two black rings and the other will have three black rings. If you have the one with three rings it's the TRRS balanced cable, and should be 2.5mm. If not then yes, you should contact AK.

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #394 of 3,122
No, it does doesn't come with a dual terminated cable. It should come with a balanced 2.5mm TRRS cable.

Look at the rings on the cable to see the difference. One will have two black rings and the other will have three black rings. If you have the one with three rings it's the TRRS balanced cable, and should be 2.5mm. If not then yes, you should contact AK.

I just looked at mine and it is the 2.5 TRRS balanced cable in the red can...

Has anyone used their Angie and the balanced cable using the 2.5m output on a GloveAudio A1 yet? I have an AK100 and the Glove is on its way - I figure it is just using the AK100 as a transport and the CEntrance DAC (ESS 9018) and amp will power the IEMs - should be fun.

EDIT: Just switched from ALO Island to iFi iDSD Micro and WOW - this is a freaky detailed IEM - the ALO has a warm smooth nature, but the iDSD is much more neutral and powerful - Angie has multiple personalities 
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #395 of 3,122

Wow, you are right!  One has three rings (the extra in the red container) and the other has two rings.  Upon comparison the two are different in size (3.5 versus 2.5) .  Thanks for the heads-up.  It saved me some embarrassment.  Good to know that I got what I am supposed to get.  Thanks much!

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #396 of 3,122
Wow, you are right!  One has three rings (the extra in the red container) and the other has two rings.  Upon comparison the two are different in size (3.5 versus 2.5) .  Thanks for the heads-up.  It saved me some e[COLOR=6A6A6A]mbarrassment[/COLOR][COLOR=545454].  Good to know that I got what I am supposed to get.  Thanks much![/COLOR]

:beerchug:

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #397 of 3,122
I just looked at mine and it is the 2.5 TRRS balanced cable in the red can...

Has anyone used their Angie and the balanced cable using the 2.5m output on a GloveAudio A1 yet? I have an AK100 and the Glove is on its way - I figure it is just using the AK100 as a transport and the CEntrance DAC (ESS 9018) and amp will power the IEMs - should be fun.

EDIT: Just switched from ALO Island to iFi iDSD Micro and WOW - this is a freaky detailed IEM - the ALO has a warm smooth nature, but the iDSD is much more neutral and powerful - Angie has multiple personalities :p

Haven't heard the GloveAudio A1.

The Angie is very revealing of the source gear. The better the source gear the Angie can keep up. I find they are very well balanced IEMs and easily keep up, and surpass in many cases, my full size planar cans.

My favourite combination so far is with the New ALO Rx (IEM only version) portable amp. That amp has some amazing synergy with the Angie. Can't wait to hear them from the DAC-19(10th Anv) to the Cavalli Liquid Carbon to the Angie.

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #398 of 3,122
Haven't heard the GloveAudio A1.

The Angie is very revealing of the source gear. The better the source gear the Angie can keep up. I find they are very well balanced IEMs and easily keep up, and surpass in many cases, my full size planar cans.

My favourite combination so far is with the New ALO Rx (IEM only version) portable amp. That amp has some amazing synergy with the Angie. Can't wait to hear them from the DAC-19(10th Anv) to the Cavalli Liquid Carbon to the Angie.

Waiting for your review of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, x Relic x - the Carbon intrigues me.  Although the ALO CDM is so good...I don't really need another amp...sheesh...

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #399 of 3,122
Waiting for your review of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, x Relic x - the Carbon intrigues me.  Although the ALO CDM is so good...I don't really need another amp...sheesh...

Do you hear any hiss/noise with the CDM and Angie?

I had my trigger finger on the CDM a few times but I don't need to pay for the DAC portion.

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #400 of 3,122
Do you hear any hiss/noise with the CDM and Angie?

I had my trigger finger on the CDM a few times but I don't need to pay for the DAC portion.

Using my balanced Beat Audio cable, I hear no hiss with the Angies.  If I flick the switch to the 'Hi' setting, I do hear hiss but I always keep it on the 'Lo' setting with the Angies.  I've only had to use the 'Hi' setting with my full-size headphones.

Hope this helps.

CJ

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #401 of 3,122
I thought I would share this with everyone, my perceived equal loudness contour for the JH Angie:

Areas where there are dips from the flat (i.e. 3 and 8 khz in this case) is where I found the frequencies to be slightly boosted from neutral. Areas where the values go up from the flat line (i.e. 30Hz and 45Hz) are frequencies that are too quiet. So for me, the Angies are almost perfectly neutral, except for slightly too little low bass frequencies. I have my bass dials at between 1 and 2pm. Notice how I perceive 60Hz (where the bass dials are supposed to affect the most) to be completely neutral. A note to all: take these results with a grain of salt, they relate to how MY particular ears hear things. YMMV

Try it yourself and post your results:
http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #402 of 3,122
  How is the Angie compare to the Ultimate Ears UE18pro?  Which one has more bass?

UE18Pro has more upper mid bass, Angie has lower bass. Bass qty is about the same if Angie goes to 2pm. I prefer Angie bass than Ue18Pro due to the mid bass hump. The mid bass hump make UE18Pro very warm. Both have about the same detail level with Angie more tonally accurate IMO. Overall I prefer Angie. If you like UE18PRO SQ, I think you will also like Angie. Angie vocal is more forward while UE18Pro more relax.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #403 of 3,122

UE18Pro has more upper mid bass, Angie has lower bass. Bass qty is about the same if Angie goes to 2pm. I prefer Angie bass than Ue18Pro due to the mid bass hump. The mid bass hump make UE18Pro very warm. Both have about the same detail level with Angie more tonally accurate IMO. Overall I prefer Angie. If you like UE18PRO SQ, I think you will also like Angie. Angie vocal is more forward while UE18Pro more relax.

The 18 has six drivers and was on the market a long time ago.

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #404 of 3,122
Yes, and it is still their flagship today. In fact I am still impressed by its soundstage, one of the very best in its time. The Angie's Sound Stage too is equally as good as UE18Pro. The UE18Pro treble is tune very differently from most IEM. Its lower treble is pretty relax and then suddenly spike up at the upper treble region. Angie is pretty linear across the treble region  and does not have this dip and peak on its treble.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #405 of 3,122

I'm listening to the Angie/Glove Audio A1/AK100 combo right now (some 16/44 Dire Straits).  Sorry it took so long to respond, but Angie is usually at home and the A1 is at work. The A1 has way more than enough power for Angie. The imaging is precise and the soundstage is very wide.  A good combo. 

As a side note, the A1 works very well balanced with the Oppo PM-3. Didn't like the AK240 and AK120 ii nearly as much with the PM-3.  The Pono player is also really good with the PM-3 in balanced mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back