JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 18, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #421 of 3,122
Interesting - can't say the drivers are that huge, but they have some distance from the nozzle (freqphase)

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #422 of 3,122
  Thank you, you saved my day!
I miss the comfort of my old westone 4R, the combination of westone star tips with Angie could be a winner
the compatibility is a big surprise to me, i think the hole in the star tip is veeery narrow

P.S. Angie + Herbie Hancock / Return Of The Headhunters = Eargasm :)

Yeah, I didn't think they would fit either. Someone here mentioned shure olives, so I decided to try it and was pleasantly surprised.

I did try spinfit tips and was thoroughly disappointed. It was too supple and needed a deep insert to get a good seal. But larger body of angie did not bode well with deep insert, ear canals, concha and anti-helix all started to get sore after 30 mins of use. 

Included silicones, were too hard. Seal was good, but started hurting ear canals after 20-25 mins of use.

Start tips have the right balance of suppleness vs hardness, for me. Never hurts the ear canals, even after 4 hrs of continuous use. 

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #423 of 3,122
Holy cow, are those the HF drivers crammed all the way into the lobe? That is significantly different from my Roxannes, there is nowhere near as much of a difference between the length of the mid and high tube.

Also, do my eyes deceive me or does the steel not go all the way to the drivers? I was under the impression the entire tube was steel... guess it's just the bore in the canal portion?

Ps. those bores are tinyyyyy. I really hope you never get any wax shoved in there, it looks like you'll have no wiggle room to clean it out :|

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #424 of 3,122
After many weeks of listening and comparing with my other fav IEM like K3003 and Shure 846 again and again. I have decided to sell K3003 and SE846 and keep Angie. Either my taste has changed or I just like Angie SQ. UE18Pro will be selling soon too.

Here is the deal, Sub bass to mid bass transition much better than SE846 (which is known to have great sub bass), Angie bass has more texture, more obvious changes in tonal quality and has a ton more details overall (white filter does not add any details, just brighter overall which make it even less detail due to spike at lower treble). For K3003, Angie seal better and has more bass qty (adjustable) although I would say quality is about on par with K3003 having more air (I love K3003 treble quality a little more). For Ue18Pro (which greatest strength is the sound stage), Angie is able to keep up its soundtstage (both wideness and depth), its bass goes as deep as UE18PRo (2pm) but without spiking on the upper mid bass (which is too warmth IMO) and dip at lower treble - none of these flaw (IMO)

So all in all... Angie score very high for my taste.

I will be hanging on to custom K10 and Angie for now. All other IEM goes to sale soon.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #425 of 3,122
Yeah um I haven't touched my IE800 & SE846 since I got the Angie's either.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #426 of 3,122
  Holy cow, are those the HF drivers crammed all the way into the lobe? That is significantly different from my Roxannes, there is nowhere near as much of a difference between the length of the mid and high tube.

Also, do my eyes deceive me or does the steel not go all the way to the drivers? I was under the impression the entire tube was steel... guess it's just the bore in the canal portion?

Ps. those bores are tinyyyyy. I really hope you never get any wax shoved in there, it looks like you'll have no wiggle room to clean it out :|

I did get wax in the small holes.  Carefully used the eye of a sewing needle to clean them out.  Saved me a second return.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #427 of 3,122
Start tips have the right balance of suppleness vs hardness, for me. Never hurts the ear canals, even after 4 hrs of continuous use. 

Yup, mission completed :) the star tips by westone "married" with Angie
Strange, the same size (the black one) i´ve used with 4R feels not so comfy now. Less pressure/pain compared to spin fits, but still not perfect like 4R
Pros: better seal + BASS
Cons: a little bit veiled treble (compared to Angie with spinfits)
I have to find out how to increase the hole in star tips... maybe hot air from hairdryer and some tool...

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #430 of 3,122
  Yeah um I haven't touched my IE800 & SE846 since I got the Angie's either.

Like I said, the Angie makes mincemeat of either phone. My advice: sell em while you can (before they lose all appeal and value - though I guess you can say that both phones have taken a tremendous dip in value on the FS due to lack of interest/continual flipping) and recoup your cash, otherwise you wind up with a buncha phones you don't even listen to and are out potentially hundreds to thousands 

Quote:
  Yup, mission completed :) the star tips by westone "married" with Angie
Strange, the same size (the black one) i´ve used with 4R feels not so comfy now. Less pressure/pain compared to spin fits, but still not perfect like 4R
Pros: better seal + BASS
Cons: a little bit veiled treble (compared to Angie with spinfits)
I have to find out how to increase the hole in star tips... maybe hot air from hairdryer and some tool...

Star tips are a bad idea. You're just attenuating treble and limiting the soundstage due to how constrictive and tiny the bore is. If you're interested in modding the tip, get a steel poker, heat it up (be careful!), and stick it in the end of the tip, you should be able to widen the bore that way. I did the same thing to a pair of Sensorcom tips I had for my SM3. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #431 of 3,122
I tried triple flanges on my 846's for a couple of seconds and found them squeezing down the treble quite a bit.  Am I going to get the same thing with the spinfits with the A's?  I'd just like to know before ordering.

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #433 of 3,122
I've had these for just over a week now and they continue to amaze me with their sheer amazing sound quality, can't praise them high enough.  
The level of depth and detail to my music is outstanding.  Fit wise I'm using the medium silicone tips with no issues, every so often I have to re-adjust the right earpiece but I get this with most iem's I've owned over the years.

I do wonder if I should be using a higher end source but I think what I'm using will suffice for now.  Using my LG G4 smartphone with an Oppo HA-2 DAC/Amp.  Mainly using on low gain although do sometimes switch to high gain.  Most of my listening is through the Onkyo app and using a mixture of Flac and some 24bit files. Also using Spotify.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #434 of 3,122
I've had these for just over a week now and they continue to amaze me with their sheer amazing sound quality, can't praise them high enough.  
The level of depth and detail to my music is outstanding.  Fit wise I'm using the medium silicone tips with no issues, every so often I have to re-adjust the right earpiece but I get this with most iem's I've owned over the years.

I do wonder if I should be using a higher end source but I think what I'm using will suffice for now.  Using my LG G4 smartphone with an Oppo HA-2 DAC/Amp.  Mainly using on low gain although do sometimes switch to high gain.  Most of my listening is through the Onkyo app and using a mixture of Flac and some 24bit files. Also using Spotify.

Yup, still thoroughly enjoying my Angie out of the ALO Rx (new IEM only version). Simply amazing sound quality.

The HA-2 seems like a good source for the Angie. Highly detailed DAC/amp.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #435 of 3,122
Yup, still thoroughly enjoying my Angie out of the ALO Rx (new IEM only version). Simply amazing sound quality.

The HA-2 seems like a good source for the Angie. Highly detailed DAC/amp.

+1

I have listened to Angie through the iPhone 6 direct and with the phone through the HA-2 - I was pretty amazed at how nice the Angie sounded through the phone by itself, but add the HA-2 and it goes to another level - the bass is tighter with more punch.The level of detail increases - more air.  I can imagine how many would be satisfied with the phone alone, but the Angie scales so well with good equipment. I soon will try the balanced cable with the Gloveaudio A1 - just wanted to form a baseline single-ended before I get all balanced... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back