JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 17, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #181 of 3,122
Weight was the wrong word. More attack, impact, and as you say, punchier. I love the empty black background....... Just love it. ALO makes a big deal out of the 15V power in the Rx as the reason for better dynamics. Could really be that simple. It certainly isn't the 28mW max output. What I love is the Rx is very specific to one purpose (IEM) and it plays so well with the Angie. I also hear increased air and thankfully the Angie can handle that without crossing in to tizziness (is that a word?).

As a side note I tried the AKG-K550 and the LCD-XC with the Rx and........ Ugh! Hollow empty and flat. They weren't kidding when they say IEMs only.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #182 of 3,122
28 mW isn't even that bad TBH. Both flagship Sony DAPs only output 15 mWs LOL. I'm really looking forward to the Liquid Carbon, as that's an amp that's reputed for possessing strong dynamic contrast. Tizziness is a term that I attribute to treble anomalies.

Tizzy describes too much upper treble (6kHz-10kHz), characterized as a whitening of the treble. Tizzy cymbals have an emphasis on the upper harmonics, the sizzle and air that rides over the main cymbal sound. Tizziness gives cymbals more of an ssssss than a sssshhhh sound.

There're a lot of sort of vague descriptors that can be applied to treble, almost all being negative. So long as we're all on the same page in regard to terminology, it's all good. Problems arise when we're uncertain of the terms being used. 

Couple of regulars compiled a really nice glossary to refer to here (when in doubt): 

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #183 of 3,122

Well, my Angie's came a few days ago and although I haven't had much time to really listen to them, here are my initial impressions:

* It took approx. 5 weeks from ear impressions to receiving
* I was surprised how thick the clear cable was; JH Audio ran out of black cable so I told them to send me the clear ones
* I was expecting the 2.5mm balanced cable as well but I guess it's only included with the universal AK Angie version
* The Angie's fit tighter than my JH-5s, which I don't mind
* The package included the metal red round case (with my name on it), Angies w/cable, cleaner tool, small screw driver, and one pair of comply IEM wrap

Initial Sound Impressions: (I'm connecting it directly to my AK120ii)
* Wider soundstage than my JH-5s
* Deeper bass - more controlled
* Felt like I was hearing more of the music; richer and fuller sound compared to JH-5s
* I have to admit, the Angies don't sound like an IEM; they sound more like my Audeze LCD 2s!

THIS is the reason I got these, incredible fit and comfort.  No more fiddling around trying to get the right fit in my ear.  I just plop it into my ears and that's it.  They fit my ear like the proverbial glove.

I'll have more impressions later.  I am very happy with this purchase.
:)

CJ

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #184 of 3,122
28 mW isn't even that bad TBH. Both flagship Sony DAPs only output 15 mWs LOL. I'm really looking forward to the Liquid Carbon, as that's an amp that's reputed for possessing strong dynamic contrast. Tizziness is a term that I attribute to treble anomalies.

There're a lot of sort of vague descriptors that can be applied to treble, almost all being negative. So long as we're all on the same page in regard to terminology, it's all good. Problems arise when we're uncertain of the terms being used. 

Couple of regulars compiled a really nice glossary to refer to here (when in doubt): 

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

I guess I shouldn't be so sarcastic or dry in my posts. I'm aware of the terminology, just like to poke fun at it sometimes. Thanks for the link anyway. :wink:

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #185 of 3,122
Nice impressions cj3209. The customs seem really nice! I like the shells. Funny how they ran out of black cables though.

I felt the same way about them sounding like full size headphones.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #186 of 3,122

Well, my Angie's came a few days ago and although I haven't had much time to really listen to them, here are my initial impressions:

* It took approx. 5 weeks from ear impressions to receiving
* I was surprised how thick the clear cable was; JH Audio ran out of black cable so I told them to send me the clear ones
* I was expecting the 2.5mm balanced cable as well but I guess it's only included with the universal AK Angie version
* The Angie's fit tighter than my JH-5s, which I don't mind
* The package included the metal red round case (with my name on it), Angies w/cable, cleaner tool, small screw driver, and one pair of comply IEM wrap

Initial Sound Impressions: (I'm connecting it directly to my AK120ii)
* Wider soundstage than my JH-5s
* Deeper bass - more controlled
* Felt like I was hearing more of the music; richer and fuller sound compared to JH-5s
* I have to admit, the Angies don't sound like an IEM; they sound more like my Audeze LCD 2s!

THIS is the reason I got these, incredible fit and comfort.  No more fiddling around trying to get the right fit in my ear.  I just plop it into my ears and that's it.  They fit my ear like the proverbial glove.

I'll have more impressions later.  I am very happy with this purchase.

CJ

I'm extremely surprised that there is no 2.5mm balanced cable included with these high priced IEMs. I was looking forward to a balanced setup...

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #187 of 3,122

I'm extremely surprised that there is no 2.5mm balanced cable included with these high priced IEMs. I was looking forward to a balanced setup...

I was pretty surprised myself as I wanted to use the 2.5mm balanced cable as my main cable for my AK120ii.  I'm contacting JH Audio to see if I can purchase it directly from them as I don't see it available on their web site.  The 3.5mm cables are $65.

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #188 of 3,122
JH Audio doesn't sell the 2.5mm balanced cable. Interesting.

I was pretty surprised myself as I wanted to use the 2.5mm balanced cable as my main cable for my AK120ii.  I'm contacting JH Audio to see if I can purchase it directly from them as I don't see it available on their web site.  The 3.5mm cables are $65.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #189 of 3,122
JH Audio doesn't sell the 2.5mm balanced cable. Interesting.

I am surprise that the custom version do not come with a 2.5mm balance cable. I know the universal version comes with it. Worst case, if you don't mind spending a little more, beatsaudio has one for $199.

http://www.beataudiocables.com/cables/silver-sonic-mkv.html

I just order one :O

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #190 of 3,122
I saw that cable. Those cables look really nice.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #191 of 3,122
I saw that cable. Those cables look really nice.

Or you could check with some of the Universal Angie owners - some may not expect to use the 2.5m cable - might get a stock one pretty cheap. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #192 of 3,122
  Or you could check with some of the Universal Angie owners - some may not expect to use the 2.5m cable - might get a stock one pretty cheap. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nice.  I would love to pick up the 2.5mm balanced cable from any AK Universal Angie owner out there.  Shoot me a PM!

Thank you!

CJ

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #193 of 3,122
OK I got my Beats audio MKV silver 2.5mm balance cable. I compared it to the stock and found the high to be slightly more prominent. It very slightly but its there. For some reason I found the sound stage wider possibly due to very natural reverb - like a larger halo spatial . The stock sound closer in. The bass goes slightly deeper. I like what I hear so far. The most obvious is the larger sound stage with better instrument separation. Unlike some cable I have before where I have to A/B for a long time to find any substantial differences. The differences is very obvious. The vocal is slightly more pronounce due to the treble being lifted. 

Do note the quality I am describing here are cable differences which are very small as compared to changing amps, but the differences is there for sure.

Do note I have not burn in yet so may change after a while.

Boy the cable is way thicker than the stock (about 1.5 x thicker).

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #194 of 3,122
Ok I suspect the Bass adjustment box does not boost at 60hz, I think its slightly lower as I start to hear some sub bass that I have did not detect on the stock cable.. it also could a slightly tighter bass.. I dun which is which. Will find out.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #195 of 3,122
Interesting. Does the Beats Audio cable have the bass pot box attached to it? There may be a narrow Q factor to the bass adjustment even if it says the boost is applied at 60 hz. I haven't bothered with confirming with tones or anything, but I do get a similar feeling. It's too bad to hear about the cable being even thicker (!) as the stock cable is already thick enough as it is. You may want to look into the ALO RX if you're looking to replicate the effects of that cable in a more pronounced way. I'm not sure that the RX is exactly "transparent" as I do get the sense that it does impart some sort of "signature" to your source that isn't originally there, but it's quite good at introducing higher levels of separation, stereo width, low level detail resolution (this thing is like a black hole in terms of air/blackness around notes), and impact. The only downside is that I do get the sense that the overall presentation is sort of U shaped, with more recessed mids, contributing to a sense of forward projection but feeling thinner and sometimes less engaging overall. The effect is most noticeable on vocals. It does remind me of the 1Plus2 presentation at times. Quite holographic/pinpoint feeling imaging though, which is pretty awesome. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back