JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 10, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #151 of 3,122

Yeah, keep Angie on your list. It a must hear IEM for serious audiophile and reference monitor. I seldom meet an IEM that has done treble so well that it feels extended enough with no peak or fatigue feeling. This is no TG334 or SM64v2 kind of darkish signature that cause no fatigue. This is with extended treble and no fatigue and that is quite amazing. I think extended treble is not the word. I will call it treble done at its most natural level... or "primate treble"..lol

Well I am not sure to what extent it can compare with the SE5 Ultimate...that is the one to beat in my stable, in terms of reference with musicality. I doutb anyone has heard both, but my shop in Beijing has Angie and Layla for sale. Will check if they have demos.

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #152 of 3,122
Done a real world isolation test with Angie last week . I took a flight from CA to MA and back in 2 days. With Comply Foam (think its TS 500 isolation plus) with foam pushed down all the way until Bore is expose. The isolation is better than Shure SE846 with Olive or westone foam tips. I always felt very comfortable with Shure but Angie felt even more comfortable with better isolation. When music is playing, the plane engine is almost completely gone. can't hear anybody talking - not even person next to me, I can see his mouth move but with no sound. That's pretty darn good imo. I think part of the reason is the Angie goes really deep in my ear, I also switch to small tip instead of my usual medium tip. It seal really well as the tip is larger at the base than the top hence going in pretty deep using one size done prevented the expanded foam feeling in the ear canal. The base of the bore cause the tip to be larger at the base. This is a very unique feature of Angie enabling me to take one size down. The body of Angie sit inside my ear instead of outside as I see in others.

Reason I avoided using silicon is I always feel there is a vacuum or suction in my ear drum... I feel stuffy in the head like I need to some fresh air or something..Also I notice that the vacuum it creates changes the sound slightly, hence comply serve me well as there are no vacuum. I also avoided CIEM nowadays as eating with CIEM is not a fun ordeal and walking around has this BOING BOOING thing going on from the footsteps. Angie with comply reduce that BOING BOING sound significantly.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #153 of 3,122

Yeah, keep Angie on your list. It a must hear IEM for serious audiophile and reference monitor. I seldom meet an IEM that has done treble so well that it feels extended enough with no peak or fatigue feeling. This is no TG334 or SM64v2 kind of darkish signature that cause no fatigue. This is with extended treble and no fatigue and that is quite amazing. I think extended treble is not the word. I will call it treble done at its most natural level... or "primate treble"..lol

I'd call it "treble when you need it."  Not that biting treble that tires you out to quickly.

Jun 10, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #155 of 3,122
Great, looking forward for your comparison between Layla and Angie. Had always like your review. In fact, your review on Layla is one of the reason I bought Angie. Honky Veil vocal and some treble peak steer me off. Tumuru review at the other thread did the final kill..

But who knows, I may like layla in future as i have never heard it.

Layla's treble is really well done; I thought it personally sounded great. I wanted to make a point of discussing the peak in relation to the marketing claims of mastering grade and to address some of hype it was receiving as being ruler flat. I anticipate Angie's treble will be similar here, at least I'm somewhat hoping so, as I really enjoyed the Layla treble.

The large and surprising flaw in Layla was the dip in the midrange that caused an obvious veil, especially with vocals. That would certainly be detrimental to mastering and again isn't nearly ruler flat. I also think products that cost absorbanent amounts of money should be closely and critically scrutinized, so potential buyers can go educated and informed into such a purchase.

I'm still planning for Angie, I just want to use the dealer I prefer. It's just frustrating, although not surprising, that JHA is still operating shop as a bunch of rookies in many respects. Anyway, at least it seems they continue nailed down their top tier aspirations in the SQ department.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #156 of 3,122
Layla's treble is really well done; I thought it personally sounded great. I wanted to make a point of discussing the peak in relation to the marketing claims of mastering grade and to address some of hype it was receiving as being ruler flat. I anticipate Angie's treble will be similar here, at least I'm somewhat hoping so, as I really enjoyed the Layla treble.

The large and surprising flaw in Layla was the dip in the midrange that caused an obvious veil, especially with vocals. That would certainly be detrimental to mastering and again isn't nearly ruler flat. I also think products that cost absorbanent amounts of money should be closely and critically scrutinized, so potential buyers can go educated and informed into such a purchase.

I'm still planning for Angie, I just want to use the dealer I prefer. It's just frustrating, although not surprising, that JHA is still operating shop as a bunch of rookies in many respects. Anyway, at least it seems they continue nailed down their top tier aspirations in the SQ department.

Looking forward for your view on Angie/Layla comparison. My curiosity grew stronger each day wondering how Layla would sound like since Angie is a pretty darn good IEM and Layla must be better. I am hoping that the Layla would have the same treble quality, similar vocal tonality but with more expansive sound stage that separate instruments incredibly well. The Angie tonality is perhaps the most tonality correct I ever head in IEM...

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #157 of 3,122
i have K3003 but i REALLY wanna try/buy Angie.

I am afraid about custom taxes though, so i will wait until a used one pops here FS , from a European seller.

This will probably be my next TOTL iem , being a guy who digs neutral AND musical iems, i really like the comments regarding its sound/tonality.

This place is a wallet bleeder and a place where addictions are given birth.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #158 of 3,122
Looking forward for your view on Angie/Layla comparison. My curiosity grew stronger each day wondering how Layla would sound like since Angie is a pretty darn good IEM and Layla must be better. I am hoping that the Layla would have the same treble quality, similar vocal tonality but with more expansive sound stage that separate instruments incredibly well. The Angie tonality is perhaps the most tonality correct I ever head in IEM...

I thought my UERM sounded more wide open and wider than Layla, mostly due to the UERM's airier nature. Layla was thicker, richer sounding. Bass extended deeper, once quantity was dialed in a little higher. But UERM mids were more resolving and nuanced over Layla.

After many conversations with a couple of friends that are Angie owners, I'm pretty convinced Angie will be more to my liking. I'm liking your thoughts on tonality, which is very important to me in choosing an iem.

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #159 of 3,122
I thought my UERM sounded more wide open and wider than Layla, mostly due to the UERM's airier nature. Layla was thicker, richer sounding. Bass extended deeper, once quantity was dialed in a little higher. But UERM mids were more resolving and nuanced over Layla.

After many conversations with a couple of friends that are Angie owners, I'm pretty convinced Angie will be more to my liking. I'm liking your thoughts on tonality, which is very important to me in choosing an iem.

Yeah, it'd be cool if we could get some of your thoughts on it. I'll probably send it out to you in about a week's time or so. 
  Well I am not sure to what extent it can compare with the SE5 Ultimate...that is the one to beat in my stable, in terms of reference with musicality. I doutb anyone has heard both, but my shop in Beijing has Angie and Layla for sale. Will check if they have demos.

I think we both share a similar disdain towards JH, but you should get your ears on a pair if given the chance. I like the bass at about 12 o'clock. At that setting, it's got the best bass I've heard on an IEM, bar none. Superb extension, texture, intelligibility, and control with nary a trace of bleed into the mids. The sense of separation is also the best I've heard to date. The Angie just plain disentangles some of the densest music into clearly intelligible layers like nothing before. I've never heard the SE5Way, but I'm wondering whether the aforementioned quality can be attributed to the use of the stainless steel sound bores on the Angie. I'd love to hear the Spiral Ears phones if stratification is the net result of having multiple bores. Oh yeah, and the mids and treble are pretty darn good okay too lol As goodvibes once mentioned, it just sounds "right" 

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #160 of 3,122
With regard to unraveling all the details, I've put some time in with the new ALO Rx and Angie. Man, at times I can see what they're talking about over at Headfonia with the Rx...........

Sometimes there is so much going on at once it can be a bit overwhelming. Perfect if you want it all, and very musical at the same time. Just be ready for an onslaught of texture. Angie doesn't skip a beat though

:)

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #161 of 3,122

Yeah, it'd be cool if we could get some of your thoughts on it. I'll probably send it out to you in about a week's time or so. 

I think we both share a similar disdain towards JH, but you should get your ears on a pair if given the chance. I like the bass at about 12 o'clock. At that setting, it's got the best bass I've heard on an IEM, bar none. Superb extension, texture, intelligibility, and control with nary a trace of bleed into the mids. The sense of separation is also the best I've heard to date. The Angie just plain disentangles some of the densest music into clearly intelligible layers like nothing before. I've never heard the SE5Way, but I'm wondering whether the aforementioned quality can be attributed to the use of the stainless steel sound bores on the Angie. I'd love to hear the Spiral Ears phones if stratification is the net result of having multiple bores. Oh yeah, and the mids and treble are pretty darn good okay too lol As goodvibes once mentioned, it just sounds "right" 

I am almost with you. I like it at 12.30pm. The bass is really good to my ears at this setting.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #164 of 3,122

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #165 of 3,122
Hahahhhahahaahaahahaaaahaa......... Awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back