JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 24, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #211 of 3,122
This is really disappointing to hear. I was seriously looking at getting these but now I may wait some to see how this shakes out. Please keep us posted on how your returns and replacements work out. I am sad for all those who are suffering through this. I know how badly we wait for cool stuff to arrive only to be let down by defects and such. I feel your pain...

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #212 of 3,122
It's actually practically inordinate the number of crummy units that JH is putting out. I mean... I landed two bad units and I actually had to have A&K open a box and snap pics and verify that they were working before I'd allow them to send a third back. Never would I have thought that SGS would land a unit with imbalance as well. There was actually another user on another site who felt like his unit might have had imbalance after he learned that my first unit had channel issues. Well guess what? One of the channels on his unit actually wound up dying a little down the line. Just crazy. I really do think these phones sound absolutely stellar, I do. I just wish anyone else but JH was the ones manufacturing them as I can't in good conscience recommend these things to anyone until these issues are sorted out. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #214 of 3,122
Yes it was an unopened, new pair. Nozzles and bores look alright.

Have you tried turning the bass pots up all the way to see if the levels get closer. Makes me wonder if the cable or receptacle is improperly wired. guess you could swap left and right to determine if it's the cable or the earpiece. Obviously, none of which should need to happen. If they can't make them reliably for this, they need to hire better/more people and charge more.if necessary.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #215 of 3,122
SGS' issue, as he describes it, sounds exactly the same as what I went through with my first Angie. Don't think the issue is wiring/cable related to be honest. I had a working pair and a busted pair in at the same time and swapped cables. It did nothing. It's something internal, like the BA units are out of phase or something. Turning the pot up on the right side sort of mitigates the issue but even then, there's really no comparison to a fully functioning unit. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #216 of 3,122
Hey folks, do you guys find the Angie sound brighter after 200hr+ of listening? I remember when I first got the Angie, the treble is not as bright, seems brighter now.

Edit - Ok I just remember I change the tip to Comply TS 500 comfort today, so maybe that was the cause.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #217 of 3,122
I'm finding slight differences time to time, but I chalk it up to my ears, time of day, mood, and tip fit more than the BA drivers changing.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #218 of 3,122
  SGS' issue, as he describes it, sounds exactly the same as what I went through with my first Angie. Don't think the issue is wiring/cable related to be honest. I had a working pair and a busted pair in at the same time and swapped cables. It did nothing. It's something internal, like the BA units are out of phase or something. Turning the pot up on the right side sort of mitigates the issue but even then, there's really no comparison to a fully functioning unit. 

My wiring comment included the internal wiring. If it sounds more balanced with the pots all the way up, it would mean that they swapped the woofer and full range pins and that could be in the shell. You're describing exactly what I was asking about. I sure wouldn't want to listen with the bass all the way up nor would they be identical that way.

Thanks for the info. I assumed this would be the most common way for the issue to occur and apparently it's so.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #219 of 3,122
It sounds like a lot of people are suffering with the Angies at this state.
My problem at the begining was finding out whom to talk to.  JHA doesn't seem to recognize them and unless you talk  directly to A&K...
However, mine sound better than ever.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #220 of 3,122
Have you tried turning the bass pots up all the way to see if the levels get closer. Makes me wonder if the cable or receptacle is improperly wired. guess you could swap left and right to determine if it's the cable or the earpiece. Obviously, none of which should need to happen. If they can't make them reliably for this, they need to hire better/more people and charge more.if necessary.

The channel imbalance was still the same from no bass boost to turning the dials 3/4's of the way up. After that I just pack it all up. It's on it's way back to the dealer today. Angie is back logged, so replacement is 2 to 4 weeks away.

I'm somewhat zen about it right now but if the next set is a problem after 2 to 4 more weeks, well idk.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #221 of 3,122
The channel imbalance was still the same from no bass boost to turning the dials 3/4's of the way up. After that I just pack it all up. It's on it's way back to the dealer today. Angie is back logged, so replacement is 2 to 4 weeks away.

I'm somewhat zen about it right now but if the next set is a problem after 2 to 4 more weeks, well idk.

Oh man that sucks. Dead on arrival and another 2-4 weeks of waiting... JH needs to step up on the QC. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #222 of 3,122
Just a thought, is it just JH? I've been reading some very vocal comments on the SE846 quality control lately. I wonder if the most disappointed customers are being the most vocal about their issue. When I went to pick up my pair it was constantly sold out and the dealers all said they are flying off the shelves.

Please don't take this as discounting the real issues people are having..... It really sucks..... I just wonder if they are the norm or JH's reputation coming in to play. I'm now praying mine don't develop any issue where I was perfectly happy before reading these posts.

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #223 of 3,122
Just a thought, is it just JH? I've been reading some very vocal comments on the SE846 quality control lately. I wonder if the most disappointed customers are being the most vocal about their issue. When I went to pick up my pair it was constantly sold out and the dealers all said they are flying off the shelves.

Please don't take this as discounting the real issues people are having..... It really sucks..... I just wonder if they are the norm or JH's reputation coming in to play. I'm now praying mine don't develop any issue where I was perfectly happy before reading these posts.

I am knocking wood now. I am perfectly happy with my pair, lets hope it will last..

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #224 of 3,122

Just points to randomness of issues.
frown.gif

It's a great attitude but still a pain. Here's what I never get about these sort of situations. You know these returns and reworks are raising JHA's per unit cost, cutting profits so much more than spending a bit additional up front. It's not cost effective for their rep either. I suspect that they consistently underestimate demand on products or are unwilling to ramp up to where you're threatened if the market goes sour. I'm certainly surprised by the # of $1k IEMs sold market wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back