JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 20, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #196 of 3,122
Yes,
  Interesting. Does the Beats Audio cable have the bass pot box attached to it? There may be a narrow Q factor to the bass adjustment even if it says the boost is applied at 60 hz. I haven't bothered with confirming with tones or anything, but I do get a similar feeling. It's too bad to hear about the cable being even thicker (!) as the stock cable is already thick enough as it is. You may want to look into the ALO RX if you're looking to replicate the effects of that cable in a more pronounced way. I'm not sure that the RX is exactly "transparent" as I do get the sense that it does impart some sort of "signature" to your source that isn't originally there, but it's quite good at introducing higher levels of separation, stereo width, low level detail resolution (this thing is like a black hole in terms of air/blackness around notes), and impact. The only downside is that I do get the sense that the overall presentation is sort of U shaped, with more recessed mids, contributing to a sense of forward projection but feeling thinner and sometimes less engaging overall. The effect is most noticeable on vocals. It does remind me of the 1Plus2 presentation at times. Quite holographic/pinpoint feeling imaging though, which is pretty awesome. 

Yes there is a bass box attached it, I kind of like what I hear so far. The cable is very thick, feels like carrying my speaker cable at times but its very flexible. I am very keen on RX after what I heard in this thread and at the same time looking at CAvali liquid carbon.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #198 of 3,122
Yes,

Yes there is a bass box attached it, I kind of like what I hear so far. The cable is very thick, feels like carrying my speaker cable at times but its very flexible. I am very keen on RX after what I heard in this thread and at the same time looking at CAvali liquid carbon.

Haha, I've got the Carbon pre-ordered!! If it's better than the Rx then I'll be extremely happy (not saying it wouldn't be, I just don't know).

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #199 of 3,122
You know what just sounds totally bangin' on the Angie? 

This: 

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #200 of 3,122
Was listening to Bizzare Love Triangle the other day through the Angie. I had a grin from ear to ear.

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #201 of 3,122
After much listening to the Silver Sonic cable. I must say this is a must upgrade for Angie. I feel the soundstage is wider than the stock. The subtle treble lift is much needed, subtle yet presence. I feel bass has a more sub bass lift than stock, again this is very subtle.

Overall the thick cable is pretty light and very soft so its easy to pocket, I have no complaint at all. I am still burning in but so far the cable becomes slightly brighter than it was brand new. I am not sure if burning is the issue or my brain adapt to it. I dunno... 

By now Shotgunshane should have his Angie today and I am sure he is busy testing it out. I look forward for his quick impression vs Layla.

Edit - to put in perspective on the cable improvement -  I think the treble lift added 0.5 to 1 db or something, its very subtle. Sub bass is 0.2- 0.5db at around 50Hz. I can't use EQ number for sound stage but you can add another 10ft to the overall wideness of the soundstage and depth and layering remain the same as stock. Vocal is almost the same but feel its slightly more weight (like 10grams more hahahah).  So all I am trying to say is its subtle yet presence enough to detect and it becomes very obvious after hours of listening.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #202 of 3,122
JHA no quality control strikes again.  My Angie has imbalance. The left side is significantly louder than the right. Plus the red carbon fiber weave is terrible. It's not weaved and looks like it was done by an untrained and incapable employee. Not impressed. I'm not sure if I will keep them after a corrected set is sent. JHA should immediately stop production on the universals until they figure out just what the hell they are doing. There really is no excuse.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #206 of 3,122
  I suppose it's not a really good time to announce that my replacements finally came.  Haven't had time to open the box yet. but will later with trepidation, but hope.

knock on wood, you've suffered enough

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #208 of 3,122
Jesus. I went thru two pairs that had separate issues (imbalance on one, Layla sized and terrible weave on the other) and you got both issues in the same pair. Just when I thought it was cool to post about them. Ugh.

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #209 of 3,122
Yes it was an unopened, new pair. Nozzles and bores look alright.

Ouch.
frown.gif

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #210 of 3,122
Man alive. :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back