JH-3A SIGHTINGS in the WILD
Dec 6, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #108 of 246
Instead of getting a refund I  decided to give JHA one more chance with the 3A I sent mine back on their  dime & received my new unit yesterday,they exchanged the green cable out as well.
I only listened to a few songs last night unit seems to be working fine.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #109 of 246

I looked into both the C4 and the Hifiman, but I didn't feel like having to manage my 120gb+ collection across multiple SD cards. The other issue was playlist management and duplication of effort... I have an iphone, ipad, and nano and a ton of playlists shared across all of them. So, I decided to purchase a CLAS as a necessary evil with the hopes that some day a future iDevice would have a digital out, or that I could hopefully move to a dedicated DAP that could hold my entire collection, allow decent playlist management, and free me from the evil that is ITunes.

As an aside, I currently run ITunes inside a VM so at least I can limit the amount of bloatware running at any given moment...

I am hoping that the next generation of DAPs support SDXC, and that we see SDXC cards in excess of 128gb.

It did bum me out to hear that Warp preferred the sound of Hifiman 801 + 3a over IDevice + CLAS + 3a... He promptly listed his CLAS for sale... Does anyone else have both, that can speak to the difference in SQ?

Quote:
I am using the iphone with CLAS but its incredibly big with the jh3a as well. Has anyone considered using the colorfly c4 since it has coax out?

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #110 of 246
I have both the HM801 and the iPod classic/CLAS combo and will compare them soon.
I've just received the 3A and can post some initial impressions.
My usual portable setup is iPod/CLAS/iBasso/SR71B/JH13 using Whiplash interconnects and cable.
At home I replace the balanced JH13 with balanced HD800 (I no longer use my Gryphon CD Player and Stax 007t).
The system I tested was iPod classic 160gb/CLAS/digital co-ax (whiplash)/stock cable.
Before passing on my impressions, a word of warning - I only listen to classical music and at 56 the upper registers are not all they should be).
Receiving the 3A yesterday at 10:00am I found it fully charged and played it constantly, save for two 1 hour breaks when the iPod had to be recharged, using a micro mini plugged into the wall outlet, through to 9:00am today when the 3A finally ran out of juice and had to be fully recharged.
Impressions: Using my reference recording of the Northern Sinfonia live at the Sage, Gateshead (reference because my wife and I were at the concert and know precisely where every instrument was in a hall as acoustically perfect as it possible to be) my immediate impression was of separation being superior to the HD800 combo.
I am always dubious as to claims made concerning staging as, in my limited experience everything is still in the head and staging must remain within that limited reference. We hear an instrument off right but it is still within the confines of our head, - apologies for digressing.
For the first time, with the 3A, I was able not only to note the pizzicato from the second violins to the right of Thomas Zehetmair (soloist/conductor) but could distinguish the violas in front of him. For this to mean anything you need to know that he was standing only 6 feet from the front rank of the second violins, whilst the violas were 6 feet in front of him. The second violins merge into the violas and previously the sound whilst certainly different from the two groups was specially more homogenous - not so now. The violas are there in front of him and are distinct and separate from the lighter fellows.
Now it is easy to spot the flute way back amongst the woodwinds but much harder when the distances are not so great.
Again, however, the wind section had a degree of separation that was less apparent before, regardless that the other system was fully balanced.
The detail - thus far - is no different between the balanced, run in system and the new 3A (interesting to see what difference the whiplash cable will make).
If anyone is interested I will - upon receipt of the whiplash cable post my impressions comparing the HM801/SR71B/JH13 v CLAS balanced combo v 3A.
My views, thus far. A very impressive system which I anticipate with a little running in and the whiplash addition, can only get better. So far, well worth the wait.  

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #116 of 246
Do you guys think SPDIF input via a USB to SPDIF converter would be an improvement over direct USB input?

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #119 of 246
Can you get the jh-3a by itself? because i already have the jh16 but i cant find a link on the website.

Let's see if I can sum up 4000+ posts on the subject: No! :)

At one point It was an option and it went away, IIRC...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back