JH-3A SIGHTINGS in the WILD
Dec 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #136 of 246
JP, thanks a ton for sharing your thoughts.  I'm think the Jkeny MK3 converter is one of the best deals available.  It's next on my shopping list unless I keep reading glowing reviews of the Audio-GD DI.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #138 of 246
For anyone interested in a portable player with a digital out, have a look at an iriver H120/H140. It has an optical digital output but it can be modified to a coax digital out (still bit-perfect).
I did that mod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/497818/poll-who-uses-an-iriver-h1x0-with-digital-out/15#post_6998208
I am very happy of the result. The sound is clean and very detailed. (I am not audiophile enough to give you a detailed review)
With the Rockbox firmware it can read FLAC.
The only limitation is that it can't output 24/96, the best it can do is 16/44
You will have to look on ebay to find one of these things. I got mine for £70 ($110)
I use a small mini stereo (iriver) to mini trrs cable (jh3a)

Before buying it I thought about other options:
- a QLS QA-550 http://qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa550.htm
  I actually bought one.
     + Bit-perfect output
     - Read only wav
     - no internal battery (you can use an external 9v battery or a charger)
     - UI very limited
     - Too big for me

Another model, the QA-350, has an internal battery and a better UI.

- a Cowon D3. It has a cable (sold separately) with a coax digital output. However it is not bit perfect. I read on a french forum that you can change the volume of the digital output (therefore not bit-perect) and there is a bit of background noise. I haven't seen another similar report but the guy knew what he was doing because he also has an iriver H140 and a Cowon Q5 and he did notice the differences.

- a Cowon Q5. I think it uses a cable like the Cowon D3. The Q5 seems very hard to find on ebay so I did not investigate more.

- a Viliv S5. It is a UMPC with Windows XP or Seven. It has a usb port so my idea was to use it with a M2Tech Hiface. It is not easy to find but there are some on Yahoo Auction Japan. I was going to use a service like easyauctionjapan.com but I back off as the Viliv was too big for me.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #139 of 246
For a portable setup where some compromise has to be considered, then presumably the 'best' sound would come from the best source and best available connector, even if that isn't the best overall interconnect. Therefore (on paper at least), an 801 with a mini to mini connection (and Whiplash offer oyaide connectors which I really like) should outperform a Cowon with a digital connector. Right??

I can easily understand that jp11801's optimal setup would beat any of those options because it removes weak link in the chain - the portable source.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #141 of 246
Right, and I guess that's the decision to be made - is it worth compromising source quality in order to avoid a DAC / ADC process.  Not sure that there is a simple answer, but personally lean toward accepting the digital / analog / digital process if it means using a purer source.

Quote:
With a digital interconnect you bypass a DAC (i.e in the 801) and a ADC (in the JH-3A).
Of course if both the DAC and the ADC are very good, the difference shoud be minimal.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #142 of 246
I just sent back my earpiece to have the color changed to what i have originally ordered.
When i spoke to them when i first got it they said i only need to send back the earpiece, this i later confirmed but i thought they needed the amp to tune the earpiece as it will have to be remade or is this no longer the case.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #144 of 246
Germs, thank you for the link.  I am going to try that modification.

Would you gents mind sharing with me where you got your SPDIF cable?  I'm spring for an MK3 this week.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #145 of 246
I use the rwa 5.5g imod with the analog input .I just picked up a used audiophilleo2 to use with my laptop which is the primary reason I went with the 3a.
Just waiting for my black dragon bnc  to trss cable & cardas clear usb cable from Moon audio to arrive.
 I think the HM801 would be a good option for portable use

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #147 of 246
Dec 20, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #148 of 246

Quote:
bozebuttons, what made you go with the audiophilleo2 over another converter?

I was considering the halide bridge,Jkenny MKIII,Stello u3 as well, I was leaning towards the audipholleo because of reviews one came up for sale used  for  a good price so I bought it.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #149 of 246
Guys,

Thank you so much for your replies.  I'll be reporting back once I try the converter myself.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #150 of 246
Cables from Moon Audio just showed up at work,the Back dragon cable looks good,Drew did a good job with it..
Just need to get some listening time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back