JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Jun 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #391 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raines /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One question... is best to put the gain in HIGH or LOW? for the same volume it seems the HIGH has better SQ

I do not know about the design details of the C421, but in general low gain is technically better (even if it is not necessarily audible) if the amplifier does not have stability issues. However, people tend to hear high gain as "better" simply because it is louder, and accurately matching the volume is difficult without measurements; it takes less than 1 dB of increase in loudness to "improve" the perceived sound quality.

Jun 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #392 of 692
You could be right that the two gains have different sounds, but it could also likely be placebo. Wait for someone else who owns a c421 to confirm or reject that.
Quote:
I have the cmoy and the 2227 c-421...

I can only say that now the cmoy sounds "mudy".... i havent touched it since i have the c-421.

One question... is best to put the gain in HIGH or LOW? for the same volume it seems the HIGH has better SQ

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #393 of 692
Quote:
Which devices/ players out there that have a pure line out?

I believe the Sony Walkmans have a line-out, and the Sansa Fuze+ does as well. If I'm not mistaken there is a USB dock you can buy for your Samsung phone for line-level audio... although that may be desktop only.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #394 of 692
I believe the Sony Walkmans have a line-out, and the Sansa Fuze+ does as well. If I'm not mistaken there is a USB dock you can buy for your Samsung phone for line-level audio... although that may be desktop only.

Fuze+ doesn't have a line-oiut, Fuze does. Fro what I have read / experience, Samsung and Sony's line-out are probably not true line-out, a least not in the traditional meaning of the world. They are more like semi- / pseudo- line-out, but it is not to say they won't sound as good or better than amping the headphone-out.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #395 of 692
Quote:
Fuze+ doesn't have a line-oiut, Fuze does. Fro what I have read / experience, Samsung and Sony's line-out are probably not true line-out, a least not in the traditional meaning of the world. They are more like semi- / pseudo- line-out, but it is not to say they won't sound as good or better than amping the headphone-out.

Oh, sorry haha; my bad.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #396 of 692
Quote:

I think it all depends on your headphones and what sounds best to you.  If you have high-impedence or difficult to drive headphones, you might benefit from the high gain setting, and if you have lower-impedence then low is probably the way to go.  I use low on my HD25's and there's PLENTY of headroom left.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #397 of 692
Quote:

Lol, surprisingly few options, then. I'm put off by comments about short battery life on the Fuze. The search continues...

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #398 of 692
Quote:

Lol, surprisingly few options, then. I'm put off by comments about short battery life on the Fuze. The search continues...

Ah yes, the HiFiMAN HM 60x, HM 80x and upcoming HM 901 also have line-outs, I think. But I doubt you'll be needing a separate dedicated amplifier on those players.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #399 of 692

What kind of battery life are you looking for anyway? I never feel Fuze has a short battery life but then again I never need to live very far of a power socket. At least for most part, Fuze can easily out last most smartphone.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #400 of 692
Amazon user reviews; How is sound quality anyway?

Considering it costs £50, you start to think about devices with potentially better DAC chips inside. It's a fast changing market and the original Fuze is a few years old. I don't need its video capabilities either;

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #401 of 692
Unless you are going for the route of audiophile player (HM801, DX100, C4, etc) or iPod specialty DAC (CLAS, HP-01, etc) , you are not really getting any much better DAC chip for most DAP in the market. Sure, Apple and Samsung do put Wolfson or Cirrus Logic in their player, but they are mostly low power type and generally won't offer you much better SQ than what is in Fuze. At least with Fuze, it has been measured (in the case of Clip+ which shares mostly the same inner) and known to be good performer.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #402 of 692
Quote:
Unless you are going for the route of audiophile player (HM801, DX100, C4, etc) or iPod specialty DAC (CLAS, HP-01, etc) , you are not really getting any much better DAC chip for most DAP in the market. Sure, Apple and Samsung do put Wolfson or Cirrus Logic in their player, but they are mostly low power type and generally won't offer you much better SQ than what is in Fuze. At least with Fuze, it has been measured (in the case of Clip+ which shares mostly the same inner) and known to be good performer.

Nice summation of what's out there.

Well if the Fuze (not Fuze+) is what it takes to get a pure line out (the feature I'm most interested in) then fuze it is. Shame the Fuze+ doesn't have it:wink:

Might as well order the 4GB one because I have spare micro SD cards  

beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #404 of 692
deleted

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #405 of 692
Well why don't you see for yourself? I emailed them and John (CEO) got back to me pretty soon and was very helpful. The amp shipped on the same day of payment too. Awesome customer service so far if you ask me.

Quote:
From your experiences how responsive are the guys at JDS Labs in answering questions? I'm seriously considering getting an O2 for my HE-500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back