JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Mar 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #256 of 692

Quote:
Hi BG.  No, you will need a extraction tool.  I bought mine at Radio Shack for like ten bucks or so.  The optional opanp came in a foil baggy, my heart went into my throat when I saw that I had to do it myself, but it was easy.

Yes.. top secret extraction tool:  

Just be very careful and don't apply any more pressure then needed to gain grip on the opamp.  Wiggle it back and forth a little as some opamp legs and bind a little in the socket depending on if they have been pre-bent a lot.

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #258 of 692

Quote:
However, this is not to say AD8620 crashes OPA2227 in every way. I love the AD8620, but I can understand why someone would find it V-shaped sounding and prefer the OPA2227 instead. It has more to do with the slight difference in presentation between the two opamps (and I had observed the same in cmoyBB as well) - AD8620 has really great soundstage and portrays the image in a very 3D fashion. In a way, it is almost better in imaging (especially in depth) than the O2 and that's quite an amazing feat on its own. OPA2227 on the other hand puts everything upfront with a sense of rich and warmness between the tones. If we were to take O2 as our reference for what 'totally neutral' / standard should be, then AD8620 would be the equivalence of what 3D TV meant to normal TV (where you get the surreal 3D effect) while OPA2227 would be equivalence of sitting close to a HD TV vs. at normal distance (where you get to see the fine detail in individual element but not quite so over the whole picture).

So what is my early conclusion? I'll still recommend C421 with AD8620 over OPA2227 for its more rounded presentation. But for those who rather like a little bit more richness over imaging, the OPA2227 based C421 could work out better for them. Both are really great sounding amps, and I think the choice is every bit personal preference as it is performance.

Yeah this is probably a good analogy.  I can't speak for the C421-8620, but the C421-2227 is quite rich and forward.  It really seems to pair well with my HD25-1 II's, which are also nicely forward.  The result is excellent energy for rock, metal, pop, hip hop.  It even seems to have a fair amount of finness for jazzier stuff (at least modern up-tempo electric jazz).  I'm very happy with this combo so far!  (Source: iPod Touch 4G with Fiio L9 LOD.)

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #259 of 692
Thanks for that info!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Hi BG.  No, you will need a extraction tool.  I bought mine at Radio Shack for like ten bucks or so.  The optional opanp came in a foil baggy, my heart went into my throat when I saw that I had to do it myself, but it was easy.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #260 of 692

Quote:
Quote:
However, this is not to say AD8620 crashes OPA2227 in every way. I love the AD8620, but I can understand why someone would find it V-shaped sounding and prefer the OPA2227 instead. It has more to do with the slight difference in presentation between the two opamps (and I had observed the same in cmoyBB as well) - AD8620 has really great soundstage and portrays the image in a very 3D fashion. In a way, it is almost better in imaging (especially in depth) than the O2 and that's quite an amazing feat on its own. OPA2227 on the other hand puts everything upfront with a sense of rich and warmness between the tones. If we were to take O2 as our reference for what 'totally neutral' / standard should be, then AD8620 would be the equivalence of what 3D TV meant to normal TV (where you get the surreal 3D effect) while OPA2227 would be equivalence of sitting close to a HD TV vs. at normal distance (where you get to see the fine detail in individual element but not quite so over the whole picture).

So what is my early conclusion? I'll still recommend C421 with AD8620 over OPA2227 for its more rounded presentation. But for those who rather like a little bit more richness over imaging, the OPA2227 based C421 could work out better for them. Both are really great sounding amps, and I think the choice is every bit personal preference as it is performance.

Yeah this is probably a good analogy.  I can't speak for the C421-8620, but the C421-2227 is quite rich and forward.  It really seems to pair well with my HD25-1 II's, which are also nicely forward.  The result is excellent energy for rock, metal, pop, hip hop.  It even seems to have a fair amount of finness for jazzier stuff (at least modern up-tempo electric jazz).  I'm very happy with this combo so far!  (Source: iPod Touch 4G with Fiio L9 LOD.)

Hehe. I find it kind of interesting that you want a more forward sound with the HD25-1 II. I find mine already to be really forward, and I tend to try and pull them back a bit with my tube amp. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #261 of 692

Quote:

Hehe. I find it kind of interesting that you want a more forward sound with the HD25-1 II. I find mine already to be really forward, and I tend to try and pull them back a bit with my tube amp. 

Oh yeah sorry they are forward by default for sure.  I didn't necessarily mean I wanted them more forward, nor that the C421 make them sound more forward.  I do really like the forward presentation, so what I didn't want to do was take a step back by using an amp that's particularly laid back.  I find that the C421 nicely preserves the forward nature of the headphones, while introducing a ton of clarity and details that were lost driving the cans directly off the iPod.

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #262 of 692
I currently use an iPod, Fiio E11 amp, Fiio L9 LOD and Brainwavz HM5 headphones.  Does anyone have any comment on if If I'd have any sound improvement if I got the C421 and used that instead of the Fiio E11?
Thanks,
Steve

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #263 of 692

Quote:
I currently use an iPod, Fiio E11 amp, Fiio L9 LOD and Brainwavz HM5 headphones.  Does anyone have any comment on if If I'd have any sound improvement if I got the C421 and used that instead of the Fiio E11?
Thanks,
Steve

the C421 is better for sure, in all ways

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #265 of 692
Thanks,
Steve

C421 is indeed better in most area, especially in sound - but given the price difference, that should be expected.

Anyone knows how this fares against the UHA-4?

I will, but in a few weeks as I have just ordered the UHA-4 yesterday when it comes back in stock.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #266 of 692
Oh...my....God....  Wow.  My mind has just been blown.  I've been listening to some Use Your Illusion era Guns N' Roses through my setup (iTouch 4G -> Fiio L9 LOD -> C421-2227 amp -> HD25-1 II's, and this is without a doubt the best these albums have ever sounded to me.  By miles and miles.  I had no idea they had this amount of fidelity.  I've always known the albums (double album) to contain some very complex, layered rock, but I've never heard it like this before.  Heavenly.  The sound has so much more depth, width, texture, richness, energy, wow. 

Sorry it's hard to describe accurately.  In the past, I've always enjoyed the music on these albums but hated the sound/production.  I've always though the bass was lean, that the midrange was thin and cold, and that the treble was harsh, dominant, and over-extended.  This was through various home stereo systems, cars, and portable audio setups over the years.  But what I'm hearing today is the exact opposite.  The bass (with bass boost enabled on the c421) is thick and rich as well as impactful, the mids and now silky and organic, Axl's voice is smoother than ever and no longer shrill when he hits the high registers, and the upper registers aren't bothering my ears. 

Okay, guess I've gone on long enough.  But I've definitely found some new demo material, especially for anyone whom is a fan of these albums to begin with.

Cheers!

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #267 of 692
I foolishly started a new thread when all I wanted was to post here.... Here goes my initial impressions:

Ok... so I said on a previous post I would review this once I got it... I thought it would arrive past monday but it arrived today... My Ibasso D7 (Sidewinder) did arrive past monday so I had time to burn it in a bit more... 

The Ibasso D7 is a great little DAC, the Wolfson Chip it uses is really great and it's internal Class A amp is also very good, even though I felt that it lacked a bit of volume for my Beyer DT880.  The soundstage is really amazing, with great separation of instruments, great clarity, great midrange, highs and lows (even though the lows could be a bit better imo), also very good "black" background that makes for an immersive experience.  I had been enjoying it a lot throughout the week listening thru Audirvana and upsampling Redbook flacs, as well as listening to SACD, HDTracks.Com stuff and some really amazing hi-res vinyl rips.

Now, adding the C421 (AD8620 version) connecting the Ibasso's line out to the C421's "source" input really took the setup to another level... let me put some perspective on this;  I tried pairing the Ibasso with my CMoyBB, but I felt the  CMoy was just too forward, to warm and too boomy,it just everything good the DAC has to offer out of the picture... the Ibasso's internal Amp was so much better in every way that it just didn't pair well no matter what I did.... but with the C421, it has really great synergy with the Ibasso... both have a really great soundstage... so adding the C421 increased the soundstage while at the same time allowing for a better separation of instruments... My Beyer DT880 (250ohm version) lack a bit of low end punch.. but the bass boost in the new amp is so much better balanced than the one on John's CMoy... it is not as boomy, not as smeared... so much smoother and cleaner...

I know I still have to burn-in the device for a lot more hours, but truth be told, listening to my first album with this setup was pure bliss, I totally forgot I had my headphones on, which is hard because my Beyer's are quite heavy and one can't help but feel them pushing on the top of your head... but the sound was so immersive I just closed my eyes and enjoyed pure bliss with all the clarity I was expecting to achieve.  This is without a doubt a great little amp.

I'll post more once I have a chance to burn in the device a bit more.

Cheers.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #269 of 692
How does it compared to the ibasso T5 which is similar in price?

Volume matched using a SPL meter to wihtin 0.3dB of each other, I'll say there is no distinct advantage in SQ for T5. Overall, C421 (both AD8620 and OPA2227 version) sounds more detail and specious than T5, while T5 has the unique rich and smooth tone that usually associated with balanced amp (T5 has BTL ground, a type of active balanced ground). Technically, I'll say C421 is slightly ahead of T5, but the difference is small and quite subtle IMO.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #270 of 692

Quote:

The Ibasso D7 is a great little DAC, the Wolfson Chip it uses is really great and it's internal Class A amp is also very good, even though I felt that it lacked a bit of volume for my Beyer DT880.  The soundstage is really amazing, with great separation of instruments, great clarity, great midrange, highs and lows (even though the lows could be a bit better imo), also very good "black" background that makes for an immersive experience.  I had been enjoying it a lot throughout the week listening thru Audirvana and upsampling Redbook flacs, as well as listening to SACD, HDTracks.Com stuff and some really amazing hi-res vinyl rips.

I know I still have to burn-in the device for a lot more hours, but truth be told, listening to my first album with this setup was pure bliss, I totally forgot I had my headphones on, which is hard because my Beyer's are quite heavy and one can't help but feel them pushing on the top of your head... but the sound was so immersive I just closed my eyes and enjoyed pure bliss with all the clarity I was expecting to achieve.  This is without a doubt a great little amp.

The amp strength is the only real issue I have with the D7, which is a bit weak--even relative to other USB-powered amps.  It's still good enough for 90% of things, but the issue shows-up for those albums that aren't done too well.  I've found the D7 and C421 amps to be somewhat similar in terms of sound signature, so it's nice to be able to switch without having too radical of a difference between the two.  The differences become somewhat more apparent when you turn them louder, since the D7 has to be pushed out of its comfort zone more, but I don't listen to loud music or music (in general) loudly too often, and the two devices are fairly similar at moderate levels.  When the D7 alone gets to the point of struggling, I find that I can switch to using the C421 with the D7 as DAC, and it almost acts as a continuation without too much of a departure.  In general, I really like the synergy between the two devices.  I don't use the bass boost, though, since I've never really liked any amp-based bass boost--they never sound natural to me, plus I prefer a more neutral sound anyway.  I didn't notice too much of a burn-in change with the C421 beyond the initial 20 hours or so, but the D7 seemed to change more with time--even well beyond 100 hours.

I find the DT880's to be my most comfortable phones--but then again, that's relative to things like the AKG 701/702's, which for some reason have medieval torture devices for headbands.  I can barely last an hour with the AKG's without one of my "hard-core mods" (ie, sticking folded tissue underneath the band/bumps...).  In any case, the DT880's do work really well with the C421/AD8620 combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back