JDS Labs O2 Amp and the FiiO E70K For the DAC
Jun 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dizzante

New Head-Fier
I have a question regarding the possibility and practicality of using the JDS Labs O2 and with the E70K. Is it possible? In your opinion would it sound good? I would be using Grado SR80i's for the time being, but that is going to change in the near future. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I have a question regarding the possibility and practicality of using the JDS Labs O2 and with the E70K. Is it possible? In your opinion would it sound good? I would be using Grado SR80i's for the time being, but that is going to change in the near future. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Yes, O2 drives SR-80i's with ease. What source are you using now?

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Yes, O2 drives SR-80i's with ease. What source are you using now?

I am mostly using A JDS Labs Cmoy, but when I am at my PC I am using A Fiio E70K. I want to use The O2 and the E70K together, but I am not sure if it is possible. In the future I plan to buy the JDS ODAC, but for now I need to see if I can use the E70K as the DAC in this setup.

I am really new to all of this so I am not real sure what will work with what and still sound good.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 11
You can use any DAC with O2, so your proposed setup will work fine.

DACs provide one of the smallest audible improvements to the audio chain, provided your existing DAC is decent to begin with. For some reason, DACs an extremely popular topic this summer. You're much better off upgrading headphones and your amp (if needed). Here's a post from another thread:

When it comes to investing to in the audio chain I like to refer to the article from this http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=KB_Columns&document_srl=1921&m=0

Read the article and see the figure below then decide for yourself which you think is the better....a dac or earphones or for that matter cables and as you can see the end of the chain is the most benificial to invest your time and money in.

Figure 2. The approximate range of distortion in sound reproduction in dB scale (FR only)

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for all the advice man. It is very much appreciated. The article you referenced was extremely helpful. Not knowing a whole lot about audio gear at the moment I just try to go by the things I read. The subjective nature of audio gear adds to the difficulty as well. I am just trying to get shoved in the right direction.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 11
I have had my O2 for about a week now and I have to say I really really like it. Now keep in mind I have never used any higher priced amps, but this one seems to really get the job done. I am very happy I bought it.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 11
If you want to use a E07K/E17 as a DAC I'm pretty sure you need the fiio line out (L7) to put in the bottom and switch the amp to "LO Bypass" for it to work. I use the E07K as a DAC with a headstage arrow and it works just fine. 

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 11
its a line out so it is used as a dac.

From amazon page.

[size=small]The FiiO L7 is designed to be used with the E7 USB DAC/AMP, providing a dedicated line-out jack for sending a high quality line-level signal to other devices such as a stereo or amplifier.[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]The L7 further expands the versatility and flexibility of the E7 USB DAC/AMP, allowing more usage scenarios, such as using the E7 as a dedicated DAC device. The L7 also has a built-in USB jack, allowing the E7 to be charged and used at the same time.[/size]

[size=small]Stick it in the bottom, then plug the USB into your pc, then into the USB side of the L7, and then from the 3.5 jack to your O2. That's how I do it with my arrow. Also if you use it as a DAC on a PC make sure to go to sound preferences and change the output to 96k, since the E07k is able to support this rate.[/size]

[size=x-small]Also, the description says E7 but I use the L7 with an E07k and it works fine. Just make sure to turn on LO bypass. It's a tiny switch so I used a 0.7mm mechanical pencil to switch it. [/size]

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm sure the setup is practical, but the O2 is huge, so not very portable.  I just keep it as a desktop between the work office and at home.  I wouldnt use this on mass transit or on the plane, unless i kept the amp in a backpack for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back