JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Nov 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,517 of 3,417
Or perhaps a right-angled one to reduce strain on the cable. I purposely don't use my FiiO L3 line out dock cable because it kept getting caught on something since it sticks out so far from my devices. The L9 line out dock is much more usable in that regards.

The only issue with a right angle is the access to the volume pot or headphone jack.

Mhmm, good point, but only in certain configurations. On the other hand, the mini-USB port is on the other end of the C5, so volume control blocking shouldn't be a problem there. :p

Speaking of the L3 though, I can't seem to find mine. :frowning2:

With my configuration of the L9, the volume control is perfectly intact and easy-to-access.

^ No I don't actually use the 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adaptor, I just put it in there to demonstrate that it fits in the L9's loop.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #1,518 of 3,417
Shucks. I doubt my 2nd gen iPod touch will support such a glorious OS too.....

Oh well, the amp section will be fine for now. I MIGHT have to get a new iPod to support iOS7 and take full advantage of the C5D... XD

.......this is why I regret coming back to head-fi. My poor wallet....

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #1,520 of 3,417
Shucks. I doubt my 2nd gen iPod touch will support such a glorious OS too.....

Oh well, the amp section will be fine for now. I MIGHT have to get a new iPod to support iOS7 and take full advantage of the C5D... XD

.......this is why I regret coming back to head-fi. My poor wallet....

There's nothing wrong with a 2nd gen iPod Touch though. Jailbreak + Activator for physical media button controls = WIN!
I still have my 2nd gen iPod Touch and it can only run up to iOS 4.2.1.

Also don't forget about SBsettings: the control center before iOS 7's Control Center.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,522 of 3,417
Mhmm, good point, but only in certain configurations. On the other hand, the mini-USB port is on the other end of the C5, so volume control blocking shouldn't be a problem there.
tongue.gif

Speaking of the L3 though, I can't seem to find mine.
frown.gif

With my configuration of the L9, the volume control is perfectly intact and easy-to-access.

^ No I don't actually use the 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adaptor, I just put it in there to demonstrate that it fits in the L9's loop.

This is the perfect example of a compact stack that is pocketable. I hope to achieve that with my smartphone and the CD5, hence looking for a suitable cable (right angle mini to micro usb cable). I believe JDS stated on their blog that they are currently looking for a cable supplier to provide custom short cables so I'm hopeful that I will be able to get one from them together with the C5D.

BTW, your end plates are black, you got it customized?

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,523 of 3,417

I actually ordered the C5 with the default silver endplates.

One day, when leaving the C5 unattended in my jean pocket, I scratched the silver endplates pretty bad with my iPhone on accident (the iPhone seemed unscathed in comparison). JDS Labs generously sent me a pair of black endplates. From then on out, I've been using the black endplates on the C5 and they don't seem to show scratches as easily. On the other hand, if it does get scratched, the black gets rubbed off, revealing the silver metal under it.

I only have minor scratches on my black endplates. This is the largest one and it's probably due to a metal keyring in my backpack.

Silver endplate after iPhone in pocket fiasco.

Nov 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,524 of 3,417

Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mhmm, good point, but only in certain configurations. On the other hand, the mini-USB port is on the other end of the C5, so volume control blocking shouldn't be a problem there.
tongue.gif

Speaking of the L3 though, I can't seem to find mine.
frown.gif

This is the perfect example of a compact stack that is pocketable. I hope to achieve that with my smartphone and the CD5, hence looking for a suitable cable (right angle mini to micro usb cable). I believe JDS stated on their blog that they are currently looking for a cable supplier to provide custom short cables so I'm hopeful that I will be able to get one from them together with the C5D.

Exactly my setup, but with the sansa fuze or ipod touch.  Love it.  Easy volume access.  Easy to hold in one hand.  My fiio cable crapped out on the cheap ipod connector side though, so I got a BTG ipod cable per John at the time who was scoping out cable providers.  A little pricey to me, but for what it is, it's much more flexible and seems more durable and high quality.  Either way, the c5 is great.  And john offered black plates last time I checked if you ask for them.

On another note, here's my a/b audio switch so far using my spare C5 case.  Had to use a dremel to make the input jack holes a touch bigger.  Everything closes nicely and the switching is working.  I just need to isolate the soldered pins from the case (tight fit) and connect the input ground to the case.  Woohoo! :)

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #1,525 of 3,417
On another note, here's my a/b audio switch so far using my spare C5 case.  Had to use a dremel to make the input jack holes a touch bigger.  Everything closes nicely and the switching is working.  I just need to isolate the soldered pins from the case (tight fit) and connect the input ground to the case.  Woohoo! :)

Hey that's a pretty nice-looking AB-box...or a black box if you will. :wink:
It actually looks a lot simpler than I thought it would be.

You should post it in the "post pics of your builds" thread.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #1,526 of 3,417
There's nothing wrong with a 2nd gen iPod Touch though. Jailbreak + Activator for physical media button controls = WIN!
I still have my 2nd gen iPod Touch and it can only run up to iOS 4.2.1.

Also don't forget about SBsettings: the control center before iOS 7's Control Center.

True, I have zero complaints about my iPod touch, but if I want to make use of the DAC part of the C5D while out and about, then I'd need to upgrade my iPod to one of these new fangled lightning connector iOS7 compatible guys... I guess the Classics won't be compatible in that case considering they don't run iOS 7... unless they are, then this is good news, but from what I've read on the compatibility area on the site, not so.

I honestly might just use 'getting a new iPod touch', as an excuse (eventually) to 'lessen' the point of diminishing returns on the C5D... Otherwise, I'd only make use of the DAC when I'm actually using headphones at my computer, which isn't often. I still feel like it'd be very worth the extra money to get the C5D over the C5 for the bass boost alone; but that's me. 

I'm so glad I didn't get a headstage arrow before discovering this. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #1,527 of 3,417

On another note, here's my a/b audio switch so far using my spare C5 case.  Had to use a dremel to make the input jack holes a touch bigger.  Everything closes nicely and the switching is working.  I just need to isolate the soldered pins from the case (tight fit) and connect the input ground to the case.  Woohoo!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey that's a pretty nice-looking AB-box...or a black box if you will.
wink.gif

Thanks.  I'll do that.  The photos don't show the ground connection or the tape finishing on the terminals.  I'll probably do a tutorial too.  It's was pretty easy.  The hardest part was soldering the tiny pins on the mini switch by hand.  Ugh.  I melted a lead right out of the first switch. :p  $5 down the drain.  Lucky the new soldering iron is a million times better and i was able to do this switch with zero issues and much cleaner.

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #1,528 of 3,417

On another note, here's my a/b audio switch so far using my spare C5 case.  Had to use a dremel to make the input jack holes a touch bigger.  Everything closes nicely and the switching is working.  I just need to isolate the soldered pins from the case (tight fit) and connect the input ground to the case.  Woohoo!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey that's a pretty nice-looking AB-box...or a black box if you will.
wink.gif

Thanks.  I'll do that.  The photos don't show the ground connection or the tape finishing on the terminals.  I'll probably do a tutorial too.  It's was pretty easy.  The hardest part was soldering the tiny pins on the mini switch by hand.  Ugh.  I melted a lead right out of the first switch. :p  $5 down the drain.  Lucky the new soldering iron is a million times better and i was able to do this switch with zero issues and much cleaner.

I finished the final touches of my switch and it works great.  Perfect audio quality and the switch is even quieter than I expected.  If you switch it more quickly it barely makes any audible noise.  Switch it slower and it's just a very small noise.  I've already started comparing things and am surprised that some things aren't as different sounding as I thought. haha.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #1,530 of 3,417
Any reason why? Or have they just run out?

mine was posted on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back