JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
May 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #1,006 of 3,417
Quote:

I don't know which, if any, of these, is colored to sound a certain way.

I do know I enjoy listening to the E12 - it's very dynamic, and does 
have a softer high end than the C5.   

Quote:
I have both the c5 and e12. I would say the c5 is noticibly brighter and more fatiguing than the e12. Overall sound is excellent.

I can listen to the e12 for longer periods of time because of the softer highs and sweet mids.

I also have both, and like both - for different reasons.
I agree with your observations about them...

Quote:
Yeah I agree with you there.

...as does miceblue

Quote:

Just curious which phones you guys are using?

Mine are listed in my Community Profile.

(I'll save you a click and cut/paste them here:
Sony MDR-7520, AKG K702, Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium (250 ohm), Sony MDR-MA900,
Sony MDR-Z1000, JVC HA-S500 (carbon nanotube), Yamaha HPH200, Audio Technica ATH M50,
Sony MDR V6, Sennheiser PX100ii)

May 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #1,007 of 3,417
i went ahead and had upgraditis and sold the C5.

i was using the westone 4r with the C5.

my new setup is the Alo audio RX MK2/Chypher Labs Algorhythm Solo/Alo Audio SXC Solo cable combo................let's just say that if the c5 is on earth, the setup i have now is many many many universes ahead.

but the c5 and c421 are still excellent amplifiers for the price.

May 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #1,008 of 3,417
Quote:

my new setup is the Alo audio RX MK2/Chypher Labs Algorhythm Solo/Alo Audio SXC Solo cable combo................let's just say that if the c5 is on earth, the setup i have now is many many many universes ahead.

It's funny that the ipod is so popular that they used that as the icon for their "source" input. :p

May 26, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #1,009 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
I've been using the C5 with the V-MODA M-100's (with my portable rig) and K 701 (gaming and movie-watching).

I love the k 701. I assume those are bright with the c5? I dont have a pair, but have used them and i always found them like the er4s, where they sound incredible, but a little bass light... How much flatter does the bass boost make them in the lows? Or does it technically overdo it a bit?

I think it's still too much bass for it to be neutral; a +6.5 dB gain at 80 Hz is definitely a lot. It does add some nice punch to the K 701, which lacked it, as well as sub-bass to compensate for the bass roll-off. But yes, it's brighter with the C5 compared to the O2.

May 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #1,010 of 3,417
Quote:

It's funny that the ipod is so popular that they used that as the icon for their "source" input. :p

haha yeah, its like subliminally saying ''use a ipod with this amp'' ''use a ipod with this amp'' ....but in its defense it was more or less made to be used in conjunction with the algorhythm solo which is made to use for a ipod..and using both the rx mk2 and cypher CLAS they realy do synergize together.

i do still feel like jds labs are one of the amp companies out there. they are offering excellent build quality, EXCELLENT sound quality, incorperating great features in their amps. and last but definitly not least excellent pricing.....which makes them a hard company to beat on the price vs sound quality spectrum.

May 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,011 of 3,417
Quote:
haha yeah, its like subliminally saying ''use a ipod with this amp'' ''use a ipod with this amp'' ....but in its defense it was more or less made to be used in conjunction with the algorhythm solo which is made to use for a ipod..and using both the rx mk2 and cypher CLAS they realy do synergize together.

i do still feel like jds labs are one of the amp companies out there. they are offering excellent build quality, EXCELLENT sound quality, incorperating great features in their amps. and last but definitly not least excellent pricing.....which makes them a hard company to beat on the price vs sound quality spectrum.

Very true

May 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,012 of 3,417
I'm going to be flying from boston to dallas in July.  Does anyone know if I can bring my C5 on the plane with me? I would be really upset if they confiscated it at the gate or something.  I know it's just an amplifier, but would they know and allow it?  Anyone have any experience with this?

May 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,013 of 3,417
I've always been fine taking mine on planes. O2, C421 among others. Even a DIY cmoy.

May 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #1,014 of 3,417
Quote:
I'm going to be flying from boston to dallas in July.  Does anyone know if I can bring my C5 on the plane with me? I would be really upset if they confiscated it at the gate or something.  I know it's just an amplifier, but would they know and allow it?  Anyone have any experience with this?

I've flown with C421 several times. C5 looks similar in X-Rays and will get through security fine.

Devices with 9V batteries are flagged, from what I've been told. It's a gamble to take O2 or a cMoyBB into an airport--especially for international flights.

May 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,015 of 3,417
John, which amps do you personally use?
C421 or C5?

May 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,016 of 3,417
Quote:

I'm guessing you did the appropriate tests, but were you comparing the C5 directly to the RX MKII directly (i.e. keeping the source and DAC the same)?

May 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #1,018 of 3,417
I had this amp since last month and this amp just blow out my mind
how can this $200 amp sound as good as my $450 amp
and the bass boost just amazing, they gives the right amount of bass and don't mess up the music

May 28, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,020 of 3,417
Quote:

I've flown with C421 several times. C5 looks similar in X-Rays and will get through security fine.

Devices with 9V batteries are flagged, from what I've been told. It's a gamble to take O2 or a cMoyBB into an airport--especially for international flights.

Yes Agreed ! Been there done that !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back