JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Apr 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #871 of 3,417
Can someone recommend a good 3.5 mini cable (<$50, preferably <$20-30 if possible) to connect a C5 to ipod touch 5.  It seems the lightning adapter -> LOD would be too much cable-age and I'd like to keep it as minimal as possible.  I wish I could build the cable myself as I've seen in other posts, but as a medical intern, the free time i have i'd rather sleep or spend time with family.  Appreciate your help!

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #873 of 3,417
Quote:
Can someone recommend a good 3.5 mini cable (<$50, preferably <$20-30 if possible) to connect a C5 to ipod 5.  It seems the lightning adapter -> LOD would be too much cable-age and I'd like to keep it as minimal as possible.  I wish I could build the cable myself as I've seen in other posts, but as a medical intern, the free time i have i'd rather sleep or spend time with family.  Appreciate your help!

Guh, that new Lightning Adaptor has created chaos in the audiophile world. I don't know of any reasonable solution to having a shorter cable except for maybe....nope never mind, it's an overpriced $50+ USD cable.

As Thlayli said, you could just use a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable. It doesn't bypass the iDevice's internal headphone amplifier though. Maybe a FiiO L2 or L8?

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #874 of 3,417
Quote:
Guh, that new Lightning Adaptor has created chaos in the audiophile world. I don't know of any reasonable solution to having a shorter cable except for maybe....nope never mind, it's an overpriced $50+ USD cable.

As Thlayli said, you could just use a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable. It doesn't bypass the iDevice's internal headphone amplifier though. Maybe a FiiO L2 or L8?

'Hey Thlayli, sorry about that, yes I'm talking about the 3.5 to 3.5.
Thanks miceblue...I am definitely hating this new lightning connection.  Even on my car stereo, the new ipod requires additional cables and therefore, more $$$.  So frustrating.  

Is there any difference silver and non silver (i.e. Fiio L2 or L8) 3.5 interconnect cables?  

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #875 of 3,417
Quote:
It looks like the main change is the delay for the C5 to turn on and stabilise

That's probably to improve click and pop performance.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #876 of 3,417
Quote:
Can someone recommend a good 3.5 mini cable (<$50, preferably <$20-30 if possible) to connect a C5 to ipod 5.  It seems the lightning adapter -> LOD would be too much cable-age and I'd like to keep it as minimal as possible.  I wish I could build the cable myself as I've seen in other posts, but as a medical intern, the free time i have i'd rather sleep or spend time with family.  Appreciate your help!

You can just use a regular 3.5 -> 3.5 cable.

The iPod Touch 5 (I'm assuming this is what you mean by "iPod 5") has improved a lot in quality, so double-amping is not as bad as it seems.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #877 of 3,417
Quote:
Can someone recommend a good 3.5 mini cable (<$50, preferably <$20-30 if possible) to connect a C5 to ipod touch 5.  It seems the lightning adapter -> LOD would be too much cable-age and I'd like to keep it as minimal as possible.  I wish I could build the cable myself as I've seen in other posts, but as a medical intern, the free time i have i'd rather sleep or spend time with family.  Appreciate your help!

Try this it's 10cm long,
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Pailiccs-3-5mm-3-5mm-Male-Red-Stereo-Audio-Cord-Line-in-Cable-/380381201532?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item58907c847c#ht_1607wt_906

or this bit shorther around 8cm long.
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/HIFI-CABLE-Pailiccs-3-5-3-5-audio-cable-adater-MAC-/180789616727?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2a17e6a057#ht_2120wt_906

Both are nicely build and will fit your budget nicely.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #878 of 3,417
Words from a fellow Head-Fier:
Quote:
The volumer-clicker was real fun to mess around with on the C5.
The C5s were impressively clean. Could use a bit more treble for my tastes. Just clean, flat for the most part, good punch and nothing audibly wrong with them.

Quote:
For a second I didn't even realize it was on as I thought I had the Annies on instead of the Qs (explains the messy cables). Then I realized I had the Qs on.
So from that I can gauge that the Annies basically have a similar boost as with the C5 boost on the Qs. Otherwise they're so identical I got confused.

^ in other words, the bass boost is quite effective for the K 701/Q 701, and I agree with that.

I don't know what JDS Labs did for the bass boost, but I really love it, hahaha. The E12's bass boost sounds more like a narrow mid-bass boost whereas the C5 has more of a wide sub-bass boost. I find the C5's bass boost much cleaner-sounding than that of the E12 based on today's mobile listening sessions.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #879 of 3,417
Words from a fellow Head-Fier:
^ in other words, the bass boost is quite effective for the K 701/Q 701, and I agree with that.

I don't know what JDS Labs did for the bass boost, but I really love it, hahaha. The E12's bass boost sounds more like a narrow mid-bass boost whereas the C5 has more of a wide sub-bass boost. I find the C5's bass boost much cleaner-sounding than that of the E12 based on today's mobile listening sessions.

Yes I too would be in agreement for the bass boost pairing of the C5 and K701 and it is quite effective with certain kind of music that does'nt have bass in it as I just find the instrument more pleasing to hear like the impact of the lower notes on a piano or the guitar strings being pluck or strum...they just sound much more fuller that way.

On another note and since I'm still awaiting for my thermistor to arrive to test it out on my S3 battery mod and have really nothing better to do :D, I'd thought I'd just post the total playback time I get with the S3 battery(with the C5 battery board transplant).

Once I get my thermistor I will try and test if it's and easy working mod and worth the hassle or not and if it's working I might even post a how to later on.Wish me luck.

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #880 of 3,417
Well coming back to the C5s, I'm wondering should i get the ODAC and C5 combo. Or am i better off using O2 combo. my main issue for this is mobility and durability. I'm carrying everything in an attache case so major damage can be avoided, but small bumps are unavoidable. I don't want to get something that would be too fragile for constant carrying.  

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #881 of 3,417
Quote:
Well coming back to the C5s, I'm wondering should i get the ODAC and C5 combo. Or am i better off using O2 combo. my main issue for this is mobility and durability. I'm carrying everything in an attache case so major damage can be avoided, but small bumps are unavoidable. I don't want to get something that would be too fragile for constant carrying.  

Attache case....like James Bond?

AttacheCase.jpeg

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #882 of 3,417
Quote:

ODAC/C5 combo sounds good and is more portable. ODAC/O2 sounds better but is less portable.

ODAC/O2 as a combo unit would probably sustain less total damage than the ODAC/C5 as separate units.

All 3 units are pretty durable, but I feel that the C5 and ODAC's smaller form-factor make it more durable. I would be less worried about dropping my C5 and ODAC than the O2.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #883 of 3,417
Mine is not a zero halliburton but i got about a 4 in aluminum case. i have 2 in left after putting in my laptop. i'm guessing ODAC would be too big. unless it's got a 4 width cause i can fit something next to my laptop since i only use 15 in of the 17 in.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #884 of 3,417
Nice impressions ClieOS.

[rule]I was browsing JDS Labs's blog page yesterday and it looks like they updated the measurements section to include a 32 Ω load.

Output impedance (slightly different from the original measurement of 2 Ω):

The battery life specs have also been updated:

I still find disagreement with the battery charging time though (it takes approximately 2.5 hours to charge my C5 from dead to fully-charged from the two times I tested; unless the charging LED turning off doesn't really indicate the battery is fully-charged):

The firmware for the C5 has also been slightly updated (v1.0.4 or v1.0.5 now):
It looks like the main change is the delay for the C5 to turn on and stabilise

Is the firmware in the C5 user-upgradable?

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #885 of 3,417
Quote:
Is the firmware in the C5 user-upgradable?

Yes, if you have an ISP programmer and 6-pin header.

The firmware changes mentioned above do not affect performance. In production testing, we found that 2% of C5's could not boot properly due to [exceptionally] above average capacitor values on the supply rails. Longer boot delay enables proper booting for every C5 we've tested to date.

Summary: Firmware upgrade is not necessary if you already own a C5. Every unit is tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back