JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #407 of 3,417
How suitable is the C5 as a desktop amp? does it charge whilst in use?

I read somewhere that the C5 is recommended for IEMs/headphones of 32Ω or greater, but the C5 output impedance is stated as 2Ω on the specification page. I'm considering some Sony earphones that are 16Ω, so by the ⅛ ruile of thumb the C5 should be suitable?

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #408 of 3,417
Should be great as a desktop and portable for IEMs as it doesn't suffer from channel imbalance.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #411 of 3,417
Quote:
For those that already have one, has there been any hiss with the sensitive IEMs?

I don't own any "hi-fi" earphones, but I hear absolutely no background hiss with a Sennheiser CX-300 at max source volume, max C5 volume, max gain, bass boost on. The C5 was specifically designed to have no background hiss with IEM's.

Quote:
How suitable is the C5 as a desktop amp? does it charge whilst in use?

I read somewhere that the C5 is recommended for IEMs/headphones of 32Ω or greater, but the C5 output impedance is stated as 2Ω on the specification page. I'm considering some Sony earphones that are 16Ω, so by the ⅛ ruile of thumb the C5 should be suitable?

Desktop works fine. I'm actually giving the C5 more use over the O2 since I got it. They have their differences in sound but they're pretty subtle and I don't think you're missing much with the C5 over the O2. I actually prefer the C5 because:
  • It stacks well with the ODAC
  • It has a bass boost switch
  • No channel imbalance at low volume levels
  • Smaller footprint/more portable

16 Ω IEM's should be fine with the C5 and meet's the "magic 8" damping factor. Again, the C5 was specifically designed with IEM's in mind. And yes you can use the C5 while charging it via mini-USB.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #416 of 3,417
Quote:
How'd you get 8620 opamp? Didn't know that was an option and I'm not liking the opa227 so far

not to pick a fight, but the opamp isnt the only component in the design. shouldnt the overall sound be considered, rather than just the opamp? granted, i dont really know, but im pretty sure you can have two different amps, using the same opamp, but still sounding different. is fussing over one single component advisable? john said the c5 was designed around the 2227. and from what i can tell, the c5 measures pretty well with it. so why not?

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #420 of 3,417
Quote:
It looks kind of like the HiFiMan HM-101 DAC, but all black.  So I assume it is a DAC, as it goes between the source and the amp.

Quote:

What's the black box thingy?  Some sort of power unit or line out device?  I see it has a usb looking connector but it also appears to go into the c5?

It is a Sabre DAC from HifimeDIY. 

Galaxy note 2 -> otg cable -> Sabre DAC -> interconnect -> C5 -> headphones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back