JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #301 of 3,417
Is that with the BassBoost off?

Quote:
Initial comparisons between the C5 and the O2, to me at least, the O2 has a larger soundstage with better instrument separation, the C5 has more bass (though I admit it is hard for me to properly volume match).

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #302 of 3,417
Quote:
Is that with the BassBoost off?

Quote:
Initial comparisons between the C5 and the O2, to me at least, the O2 has a larger soundstage with better instrument separation, the C5 has more bass (though I admit it is hard for me to properly volume match).

It is with bass boost off; the bass boost is a pretty large boost in bass.
How does one volume-match between two amplifiers? I want to make sure my observations are fair, and that the C5 just isn't at a higher volume level.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #303 of 3,417
Quote:
How does one volume-match between two amplifiers? I want to make sure my observations are fair, and that the C5 just isn't at a higher volume level.

Get a fake head with microphones in it and record the output of the headphones?  :p haha

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #304 of 3,417
Placed my order of a red C5 ^^ upgrading from my CMoyBB, can't wait for it to arrive!

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #305 of 3,417
C5 vs. E12.......
popcorn.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #309 of 3,417
Quote:

Play a sine wave (say, 1kHz) from your computer and measure the amplifiers' outputs with a multimeter until both have the same reading.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #311 of 3,417
Quote:

Play a sine wave (say, 1kHz) from your computer and measure the amplifiers' outputs with a multimeter until both have the same reading.

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone tell me how to do this?  I assume you put one lead on a section of the inner headphone jack and the other lead on the other section?  Can you harm anything if you touch the wrong thing or touch leads together?  Am I way off?  What settings would you use to measure? :-/

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #312 of 3,417
I tried to take photos of my red C5, but have not been able to remove my phone from the thing since i started listening.  I assume the battery will die sometime so i'll try once I am charging it.
The volume control so far is good.  I haven't thought it lacking in volumes between steps and the gain control (press in on the volume) is easy to press, so far no problems.

I can write up more later.  :)
Cheers,

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #313 of 3,417
If anyone has the RSA shadow can they do a quick comparison, I think shadow is the only DAC in the market which is worth of getting compared with the C5. (I know ibasso T5 tried to implement digital volume but they failed ) 

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #314 of 3,417
I purchased a 40x3 pack of straight header pins from Fry's Electronics (it was only $1.99 USD), and it looks like they'll fit right-in with a slight trim. I'll soldering later when I get the ISP programmer and make sure the pins fit in the connector.

As for the multimeter test, I'm guessing you measure the voltage reading? I was going to stick a removable audio cable in the C5/O2 and measure the voltage across the ring/tip (R/L channel) and sleeve (ground).

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #315 of 3,417
I purchased a 40x3 pack of straight header pins from Fry's Electronics (it was only $1.99 USD), and it looks like they'll fit right-in with a slight trim. I'll soldering later when I get the ISP programmer and make sure the pins fit in the connector.

As for the multimeter test, I'm guessing you measure the voltage reading? I was going to stick a removable audio cable in the C5/O2 and measure the voltage across the ring/tip (R/L channel) and sleeve (ground).

That makes more sense.. Using a cable/jack with open wire ends... Dur

Users who are viewing this thread

Back