JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 8, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #3,347 of 3,417
Can use this unit just for just the amp only section?

How well can it drive higher sensitivity planar headphones such as HIFIMAN HE 400I or similar?

Battery life?

Ho does this stand up in amp section to FiiO A5  and Pico Power amp ? 

How does pair with Cowon Plenue M2  DAP ?

Thnaks 

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #3,348 of 3,417

How well can it drive higher sensitivity planar headphones such as HIFIMAN HE 400I or similar?

Battery life?

Thnaks 

You can use the amp section alone, unless its repogrammed in such a way that , the analog in is now the 'line out'. Amp section is really good, I felt it to be more linear, less noisy than my old FiiO E12, which had more power. I felt the sound to be balanced, though not wide as the FiiO: I dont have any of the other devices u had mentioned, but with my FiiO X5 2nd Gen, it sounds really good. Battery is quite low compared to FiiO products. I get around 6 hours with amp dac mode, and at the max of 8 with just amp alone with a low impedance headphone.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3,349 of 3,417
Thnaks 

Drives my Fostex TH500RP (also planar/similar sensitivity to yours) just fine on high gain, but I prefer the sounds of the Fiio E12 DIY with those tbh.

Edit to add - This is still a great little amp (+DAC now) regardless btw, wouldn't use anything else with my CIEMs/AK100, black background, pretty good battery life, really well made, just plain sounds nice.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #3,350 of 3,417
Drives my Fostex TH500RP (also planar/similar sensitivity to yours) just fine on high gain, but I prefer the sounds of the Fiio E12 DIY with those tbh.

Edit to add - This is still a great little amp (+DAC now) regardless btw, wouldn't use anything else with my CIEMs/AK100, black background, pretty good battery life, really well made, just plain sounds nice.

I agree!  I've been using i mine with both sensitive IEMs (audio technica IM02s) and my planar Mad Dogs.  It preforms quite well with both, and is especially nice with the IM02s because the background is so quiet.  I get a lot of background hiss and noise on a lot of other sources, but none with my C5D.  I'm getting a pair of hifiman HE-500s in the next week or two, so I'll hook em up and give you an update on how it does.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #3,351 of 3,417

Battery life?

Thnaks 

Not sure about planars. Peeps have been pleasantly at the capability to drive 600ohms at listenable levels though. Battery life not sure as I'm a casual listener.

Amp section is clean and powerful enough for probably 95% of stuff out there.

I've seen some arguments out there about Cowon plenue. Most will say Cowon still easily bests the v20, but some of those guys also say only having to lug one device and their favorite buds/cans for portability is worth the sacrifice plus you get full Android experience with calls and texts in one device. I haven't heard the Cowon plenue but if absolute best sound you can get is more important and if you can easily afford it I would get it. I was considering the plenue before I got the v20. Not even on my radar now. Hoping the v30 keeps replaceable battery and OLED screen and perhaps asahi kasei 4458/4490 DAC.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #3,352 of 3,417
Quality finish on the volume control?
Any issues with listening while charging via computer USB 3.0 port?

On the fence now between the FiiO A3 and the JDS Labs C5 (Amp only model not C5D)... deciding factors are usb charging via pc and the quality/accuracy of the volume controls which I am still investigating. Any input would be appreciated.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #3,353 of 3,417

So I got curious and plugged my Hifiman he500s into my c5d and they do surprisingly well!  Though I've noticed that to my ear it seems to make it a bit more picky of your source material/player.  Also, it eats up my battery quite a bit faster; though mine is also several years old now and much of my listening with it has been on the battery, so that could have some effect.  As a side effect, it gets a mite less portable with the massive adapter and cable plug sticking out of your otherwise small amp.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #3,354 of 3,417

On the fence now between the FiiO A3 and the JDS Labs C5 (Amp only model not C5D)... deciding factors are usb charging via pc and the quality/accuracy of the volume controls which I am still investigating. Any input would be appreciated.

I have never had any issues with either of these with over a year of heavy use.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #3,355 of 3,417
  I have never had any issues with either of these with over a year of heavy use.

I am assuming that you are looking at a used C5, as the price wise c5 must fall into an upper category. I had a FiiO e12, and now a c5d. After longer use, the analogue FiiO control has slight  scratching noises when turned, also channel imbalances before 9 o clock. I dont know about a3. Seeing your signature, if your really like your Beoplay to be neutral sounding, go for the JDS. E12 was fun, but not neutral. Exaggerated mids are good with voices, but C5 always brings that sparkling nuances in the upper frequencies which the H6 are good at. Bass wise, FiiO adds lot of body, JDS sounds thin. BUT; JDS is tight, decays are fast, and its a much more dynamic listen than FiiO. I am ASSUMING FiiO A3 to be inferior to e12, as I had only e12. May be A5 will be a good competitor. If you know any place where you can buy c5 for the price of A3, do let me know too.. :) One thing annoying about JDS is the battery life is compartively lower to fiio products. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #3,357 of 3,417

I am assuming that you are looking at a used C5, as the price wise c5 must fall into an upper category. I had a FiiO e12, and now a c5d. After longer use, the analogue FiiO control has slight  scratching noises when turned, also channel imbalances before 9 o clock. I dont know about a3. Seeing your signature, if your really like your Beoplay to be neutral sounding, go for the JDS. E12 was fun, but not neutral. Exaggerated mids are good with voices, but C5 always brings that sparkling nuances in the upper frequencies which the H6 are good at. Bass wise, FiiO adds lot of body, JDS sounds thin. BUT; JDS is tight, decays are fast, and its a much more dynamic listen than FiiO. I am ASSUMING FiiO A3 to be inferior to e12, as I had only e12. May be A5 will be a good competitor. If you know any place where you can buy c5 for the price of A3, do let me know too.. :) One thing annoying about JDS is the battery life is compartively lower to fiio products. 

No real budget at the moment... under 200-300 I guess.  Looking at new models at the moment.  Also considering the Aune B1 Amp.  Yes, definitely want something that will work well with my B&O H6 headphones as I really like them and I have already given my LCD-2s away.  Don't much care about the battery life as I will have it plugged in via my PC computer usb 3.0 port.

I'd always choose JDS Labs over Fiio for budget amps/dacs. I kind of wish John would design and manufacture a DAP. However, I realize when it comes to firmware and UI it can get tricky.

Appreciate the feedback.  I liked my JDS Labs O2 quite a lot... just wish it would come back to me :frowning2:   LOL, all good, it is currently at a good home being well used. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #3,359 of 3,417
Hi..
any of you guys has been tried to compare C5D with Cypher labs algorithm solo? how is it? my local community has both of it on nearly same price, except the Solo no need another expensive CCK to use it's dac for iphone

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3,360 of 3,417
Hi..
any of you guys has been tried to compare C5D with Cypher labs algorithm solo? how is it? my local community has both of it on nearly same price, except the Solo no need another expensive CCK to use it's dac for iphone
I have not heard the Solo, but the Solo is a DAC only and not an amplifier, it does not have a 3.5mm headphone out and you would need a separate amp to use it. They are 2 different devices so be aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back